Passing of the Torch.. .

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well after 39 years, my Sahbumnim is retiring. In fact the two most senior instructors at my school are retiring. I cannot express my gratitude for the service and leadership they have provided for me over the past 25 years, and I am honored that they are passing the torch to me. In a meeting a couple of weeks ago, they have decided to relinquish the school to me. The only issue is that there are two instructors more senior in rank than I am.

One of them, is in full support of me taking on the responsibility. He is in his 60's and wishes that I take on the responsibility as he only has a few years of physical training left in him. The other instructor, was not deemed worthy of the responsibility, but he is not aware yet that he has been passed over. I will be taking control of the dojang in April, and while I am honored, I am nervous of how the 6th dan will take to a 5th dan owning the school.

My Kwan Jang Nim is in full support of my Sahbumnim's decision, but I still feel that it is a delicate situation to handle. Especially since the 6th Dan's son and daughter-in-law are both high ranking instructors as well in the school. I don't wish to create any hard feelings between them and myself, but I'm afraid it is beyond my control.

Any thoughts?

P.S.
The only reason the 6th dan has not been told yet, is at the request of our KJN. The meeting is going to take place next week. Part of my concern is that I don't like keeping this information from my senior, and I am sure he has a feeling something is up. However, I cannot say anything yet at the request of my KJN.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a meeting a couple of weeks ago, they have decided to relinquish the school to me.

Congratulations.

The only issue is that there are two instructors more senior in rank than I am. One of them, is in full support of me...the other instructor...is not aware yet that he has been passed over. I will be taking control of the dojang in April, and while I am honored, I am nervous of how the 6th dan will take to a 5th dan owning the school.

I think that's his problem not yours. You have been chosen by the school owners to run the school. If he feels he's more worthy, it's up to him to bring it up with them and for them to tell him why.

I think you may have some teething issues where he tries to correct you in front of (what he's probably considering a school full of his students given that he's a senior grade) and you will just have to politely step on that!

My Kwan Jang Nim is in full support of my Sahbumnim's decision, but I still feel that it is a delicate situation to handle.

Is there any way the KJN can call a meeting at your school then announce your position as the new head of the school? That way everyone in the school is aware of your new position and the leapfrogging over the 6th Dan.

Especially since the 6th Dan's son and daughter-in-law are both high ranking instructors as well in the school. I don't wish to create any hard feelings between them and myself, but I'm afraid it is beyond my control.

Absolutely and that's a way you can play it. "It wasn't my choice, I'm happy to do it and am proud to be given the responsibility, but it was KJN/SBN's decision".

Part of my concern is that I don't like keeping this information from my senior, and I am sure he has a feeling something is up. However, I cannot say anything yet at the request of my KJN.

Then again, you've done nothing wrong. If you are told something in confidence you should try to keep that confidence (unless it's illegal, etc) if at all possible. Telling someone they've been passed over is nice for them but very bad for your relationship with your KJN.

You're doing the right thing!

I wish you all the best mate.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Rush congrats and as far as the elder instructor he will do as your GM wishes. I remember when this has happen to another friend and he worried but in the end the two found a way to work and make the school even better than before. Remember to be humble and stern at the same time.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Master Rush congrats and as far as the elder instructor he will do as your GM wishes. I remember when this has happen to another friend and he worried but in the end the two found a way to work and make the school even better than before. Remember to be humble and stern at the same time.

Humility is not an issue for me, being stern to a senior is going to take some practice. It is going to be difficult to find my stride in being both a school owner and head instructor in a school where someone outranks me. As always, I must respect the rank of my seniors, but I imagine it to be a delicate situation when I have control over the school.

Again, this may all be for nothing. He may decide to leave and open his own branch school with his family. My only hope is that the relationship between us stay strong and civil.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congratulations.

Is there any way the KJN can call a meeting at your school then announce your position as the new head of the school? That way everyone in the school is aware of your new position and the leapfrogging over the 6th Dan.

I think that will be happening, but it may just be the our sahbumnim holding the meeting. I know we will be having a masters meeting, then a black belt meeting, then a school wide announcement. All of which is endorsed by our KJN, I just don't know if he feels it necessary to show up for any of these meetings.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Humility is not an issue for me, being stern to a senior is going to take some practice. It is going to be difficult to find my stride in being both a school owner and head instructor in a school where someone outranks me. As always, I must respect the rank of my seniors, but I imagine it to be a delicate situation when I have control over the school.

Again, this may all be for nothing. He may decide to leave and open his own branch school with his family. My only hope is that the relationship between us stay strong and civil.

Again he is your senior by rank but not the senior of the school, your GM has given you that right so you must step up to the plate and be what your GM knows you can be. I believe the person inquestion will do as the previous owner wishes and that is follow you and the school. Master Rush take the approach as if you are his senior and run it that way, I am confident everything will go hand in hand and all will be well.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it will not cause future disharmony for you, you might give this other instructor the opportunity to run a new program at your school, focusing on an area of interest for him. If it works out, you win, he wins, and the students win too.

Good luck!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it will not cause future disharmony for you, you might give this other instructor the opportunity to run a new program at your school, focusing on an area of interest for him. If it works out, you win, he wins, and the students win too.

If it doesn't work out though, you then potentially have to end his pet project (or take it away from him and giving it to someone else), causing him a loss of face in the school...

I think this is a risky proposition.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sure Benjamin is mature and sensitive enough to know if he can work with this other guy. It sounds like he and his family represent a big chunk of the remaining yudansha at Benjamin's school. You don't want to lose them if you don't have to.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do not wish to get into alot of details about the situation, because he is unaware of the transition. Nor do I wish to disrespect the instructor. However, there is good reason why he has been passed over. He is a good martial artist, but his loyalties and concept of what it means to be a teacher/school owner is askew from what I have always been taught. I am very hesitant to give him a night of his own off the bat. I believe my plan is that because we are moving the dojang to a new site, I will be the only one teaching classes for the first few months. Mainly because we are moving into a fitness gym, and I am the one ultimately responsible for my school being in the building.

After I see how this relationship's dynamic is going to be between the gym owner and myself and the instructor in question and myself, I'll make my decision of responsibility/privileges then. Dancing is right, the family is an asset to the school as it makes up a majority of the remaining yudanja. That said, if push comes to shove.. . My KJN has always said, "cut the cancer out before it spreads." I just hope that it doesn't come to that.

My current outlook is this: We wear the same patch, we represent the same association, and I cannot disregard that. I owe him the same respect as any other person of his rank. But I am going to be the owner and head instructor of the school, and I cannot sacrifice the school over one person, even if the one person is senior in rank to myself. It is a difficult decision, and one I hope doesn't have to be made in the first few months of first owning my own dojang.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure Benjamin is mature and sensitive enough to know if he can work with this other guy.

I'm sure he is, the problem comes from the unforeseen and my opinion is just that giving this instructor a group/class to run is great unless it doesn't work out. Then he's in the position of being the junior grade, head instructor for the branch school and having to can the program. Potentially a worse situation than if he didn't follow your suggestion (and not necessarily easy to judge whether his maturity/sensitivity will have an effect on the eventually outcome).

It sounds like he and his family represent a big chunk of the remaining yudansha at Benjamin's school. You don't want to lose them if you don't have to.

I agree you don't want to lose them as it is is a high percentage of his high ranking black belts (50% of 4th Dan or above, 30% of all yudanja).

However, in this case SahBumNimRush, remember though that you are the one your KJN wants to do this job - so play nicely to try and keep them but at the end of the day, it is (will be) your school...

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Can you ask to be promoted to 6th dan so grades beetwen the you and the other sambonim can be equal and then no guilty feeling from you?

Manny

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you ask to be promoted to 6th dan so grades beetwen the you and the other sambonim can be equal and then no guilty feeling from you?

I have always been taught that it's bad manners to ask to be promoted (and equally bad manners to turn it down if your senior believes you are ready). That may not apply in Master Rush's school, but I'd be wary of doing that too - it may be seen as taking advantage of the situation to get a bump in grade.

Of course, if it has been mentioned in the past, it would help this situation - however, although they'd be equal in grade, the other 6th Dan would still be his senior. I'm the same grade as my Sabumnim but he's been that grade for about 13 years compared to my 2 months :) He's definitely senior ;-)

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Manny

IMHO, I do not deserve a 6th dan yet. I will be eligible to prepare for my 6th dan in 2014, so it will come soon enough. I don't think that the number of stripes are necessarily the issue as much as it is a sense of entitlement. He has six years more experience than I do.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Benjamin you don't have to worry about, your grandmaster has elected you to take care of the dojang, you are the one to keep the dojang and everithing, just relax and wait till the anouncment is oficial.

Yes, the other man who has more time and rank can be upset but remember him thta was the grandmaster desition, if the relationship beetwen you and the 6th degrre black belt master tear apart wan't your fault.

Relax mi friend, God works in mysterius ways.

Manny

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your confidence and support. I have never met any of you in person, but through our conversations I highly regard your thoughts and opinions. This has helped set my mind at ease that I am doing the right thing.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I suspect you are being given this opportunity in part because you have the class and grace to navigate the school forward, best embodying the vision of your master. With that in mind, I suggest that your guidepost should be to only take the high road:

This appointment was not your decision to make, but you will do your best to implement in the way that is best for the school. (If this is not the path for your senior peer, hopefully he will discuss that with your master so he can better see his path forward.)

If it was me, I would meet with my master sometime after his meeting with your senior peer and ask master how he sees you "directing" a senior peer in a manner that benefits the school. If your master is a good manager, he will have smoothed the waters somehow and expressed the positive role he sees for your peer. If you're on the same page with your master, it will likely go more smoothly.

Best wishes and congratulations.

Carl

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps, also, after he's advised by the retiring master, a sit-down with all of you would be in order. Maybe even a black belt meeting, so that everyone can hear the grandmaster give a brief explanation of why he's leaving the school in your hands. (Note, this doesn't have to be a strictly honest "we don't trust him" typ of thing but more "we think SabuminRush understands our goals and direction we want better.")

Then, I'd suggest a school event along the lines of a military change of command; do some formal function where the reins are passed. I say this in part from my own experience, where my teacher just kind of stopped coming, and we eventually realized the club was ours...

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not wish to get into alot of details about the situation, because he is unaware of the transition.

Bear in mind that it wasn't at all difficult to find out the names of the people you're referring to, so it probably won't be difficult for them to find this thread it they were looking for information being written about your school...

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well after 39 years, my Sahbumnim is retiring. In fact the two most senior instructors at my school are retiring. I cannot express my gratitude for the service and leadership they have provided for me over the past 25 years, and I am honored that they are passing the torch to me.

What are you going to do about dan certificates? Print some up with your name on it and issue that to your students? What about your own future promotions? How is that going to be handled?

Latest Discussions