67 yr old man uses his Bus-Fu to kick punks ***

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it just me or was anyone else disturbed by the racist comments on Youtube?

They are extremely common, and exemplify (IMHO) the mental and emotional level of the average Youtube viewer of such videos.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it just me or was anyone else disturbed by the racist comments on Youtube?

Not surprised, really. The majority of YouTube commentary comes from 14 year olds hiding behind an anonymous user id. If it's true that a monkey banging on a typewriter for an infinite amount of time will ultimately produce the works of Shakespeare, then the YouTube community is three monkeys over a weekend with a fifth of gin and a broken Caps Lock button.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not surprised, really. The majority of YouTube commentary comes from 14 year olds hiding behind an anonymous user id. If it's true that a monkey banging on a typewriter for an infinite amount of time will ultimately produce the works of Shakespeare, then the YouTube community is three monkeys over a weekend with a fifth of gin and a broken Caps Lock button.

:uhyeah: :headbangin: :lfao:

Just to clarify, I didn't say I was surprised. Just disturbed. Saddened is more to the point.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That rocks!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
:uhyeah: :headbangin: :lfao:

Just to clarify, I didn't say I was surprised. Just disturbed. Saddened is more to the point.

Disturbed and saddened. It is one of the reasons that my students are not permitted to use YouTube, as well as a range of social networking, on school computers.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Disturbed and saddened. It is one of the reasons that my students are not permitted to use YouTube, as well as a range of social networking, on school computers.

Your school has computers? Eek! When I was in school, they confiscated calculators - considered them 'cheating'.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
However, both individuals were of a certain type. The type that will bluster and not generally fight. They talk trash, but almost always don't do anything about it.
Having worked with teens on the fringe the last twenty years, I see a lot of truth in this.

I have a couple of younger sisters who used to beat each other up regularly. It was like All-Star Wrestling in my parent's house. Both had mouths on them, and neither one would ever back down. It was always "I don't have to take that crap from her" and whammo. Neither one knew how to back down, neither one was capable of walking away. "I'm not going to let her get the last word," or "I'm not going to back down to that *****" was all I ever heard. From both of them.
The only thing I wonder here is, it seems your sisters may have been pretty evenly matched. That sorta takes the bully element out of the equation, it seems to me (not to insert myself into your family situation or be disrespectful, just going by a surface understanding). When I first saw this vid, my thought was the older guy had been in this kind of harassment situation before. If so, for me that qualified it as 'bullying' and so came under a different set of mores.

I told my sisters a long time ago, and it's still true: If someone says something nasty or threatening to you and you respond, you just got owned. They made you do something they wanted you to do. How's it feel to be a beyotch, because they just made you theirs?
Where were you when I was growing up? Oh, wait, I'm an older guy too. :D

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you think that maybe our society is the way it is because everyone usually just walks away? People runoff with the mouth and those being insulted or threatened become the meek little lamb waiting for the slaughter so the bully's of the earth continue to do their thing.
No, not in this situation. And talking **** is bullying? A giant of an old man is being bullied by the **** talking of a young guy much smaller than him? You and I have different definitions of bullying. You are also creating a false dichotomy. It isn't be meek, waiting for the slaughter, or stand up talk **** back and create a bigger problem. You can walk away and not be a lamb for slaughter. Maybe your false dichotomy is why our society is the way it is.

The conversation that started this may have been wrong but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when you lay a hand on another be ready to recieve what they have for you.
Sure, I agree, but it could have been avoided to begin with.

This old man may have fought for this country and like many others is just fed up with the men like the one on the bus that seem to run the mouth and intimidate those that "seem" like an easy target.
So, call a cop and stop talking. Escalating the situation just intimidates and endangers everyone around you.

We all see things differently.
Sure, we do, but some dumbass talking **** doesn't hurt my feelings or my ego.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
It isn't be meek, waiting for the slaughter, or stand up talk **** back and create a bigger problem.... You can walk away and not be a lamb for slaughter.

So, call a cop and stop talking. Escalating the situation just intimidates and endangers everyone around you.
Makes good sense.

And talking **** is bullying? A giant of an old man is being bullied by the **** talking of a young guy much smaller than him? You and I have different definitions of bullying.
I've seen too much of the predator mindset to see it quite this way. A couple months ago, a 5'5" kid who weighs about 105 pounds attacked one of our teachers, former college football player, who is 6'3" and 230. This is just one of many examples I've seen through the years. Imho, being a predator is a mindset, more than a duel. The predator is looking for an easy victim that he can land the first punch on (or cut, or?), and then capitalize.

All of which, now that I think of it, is a giant reason to walk away when possible. Hmm, talked myself into a better understanding. :D

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes good sense.

I've seen too much of the predator mindset to see it quite this way. A couple months ago, a 5'5" kid who weighs about 105 pounds attacked one of our teachers, former college football player, who is 6'3" and 230. This is just one of many examples I've seen through the years. Imho, being a predator is a mindset, more than a duel. The predator is looking for an easy victim that he can land the first punch on (or cut, or?), and then capitalize.

All of which, now that I think of it, is a giant reason to walk away when possible. Hmm, talked myself into a better understanding. :D
Very good point, being large makes for a large target. There are two types of predator, one who looks for the weak, and the other opportunist looking to topple the big guy with that one lucky punch called "sucker punch."

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
This old man may have fought for this country

You have a point, but context is important. He acted like an idiot in this situation, and that has nothing to do with what he may (or may not) have done decades before. Freedom of opportunity in this great land of ours shouldn't extend to freedom to act like that.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Having read through all of this and loving Bill's assessment of it all... there is a part 2 of the fight... what happens after the bus stops and all the parties involved get off ... the older guy is showing something a bit more disturbing than just good ole' I'm pissed off and I'm not going to take it any more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9pAIkdlqo&feature=related

Probably a reason why the old man kept running off at HIS mouth. Just a wee bit loose in the screws there. Granted he is enraged by the second video and the folks were egging him on. The young punk is STILL trying to save face by challenging him out on the streets. The videographer isn't helping matters either.

Just a bad situation all around.

We are indeed a nation of 5 year-olds making up a disconcerting portion of our population.

And yes, Flea I am also disturbed by the racist comments on the main site. YouTube should have such items banned or at least **** out. However it did occur to me that the ones writing behind pseudonyms might be black themselves as blacks have a tendency to call each other the "n-word". They use it freely where I'm living... but woe to be the man who says that word and is white.... Something in our society still needs fixing.

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
After having seen the second video, if I were a bystander I would have sent for the CITs at that point. In the last couple seconds of the video it looks like a cop was reconnoitering. Or at least someone with a radio.

The quality on that was terrible, but was he walking on a prosthetic leg?

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Walking away doesn't always work..
Last time I declined a streetrumble and just walked away, the guy got even more angrier because he felt I claimed moral superiority. It seems he couldn't live with that.

So he charged me, to find out that I was going out with a couple of friends from the gym.

OT: Story goes that the black guy had taken a bag or something from him. That's why they started exchanging words. And he does look in good shape for someone his age.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You missed the point of what I was saying. The person I was responding to was basically saying that the **** talking in the video by the younger, smaller guy consisted of bullying. That's all I was referring to. Once a swing is taken it's a different ball game.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Walking away doesn't always work..
Last time I declined a streetrumble and just walked away, the guy got even more angrier because he felt I claimed moral superiority. It seems he couldn't live with that.

So he charged me, to find out that I was going out with a couple of friends from the gym.

OT: Story goes that the black guy had taken a bag or something from him. That's why they started exchanging words. And he does look in good shape for someone his age.
It's not about whether walking away always works or not. It's about this situation and that walking away did work, except the old man couldn't keep his mouth shut, which had the opposite effect of escalating the situation.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Having read through all of this and loving Bill's assessment of it all... there is a part 2 of the fight... what happens after the bus stops and all the parties involved get off ... the older guy is showing something a bit more disturbing than just good ole' I'm pissed off and I'm not going to take it any more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9pAIkdlqo&feature=related

Probably a reason why the old man kept running off at HIS mouth. Just a wee bit loose in the screws there. Granted he is enraged by the second video and the folks were egging him on. The young punk is STILL trying to save face by challenging him out on the streets. The videographer isn't helping matters either.

Just a bad situation all around.
Definitely adds to and changes the context. Old dude is off.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a couple of quick comments.

"If he had sat down and shut up, the black guy would not have come over and punched him."

This may or may not be true, everyone needs to understand that when someone is saving face and you walk away and continue talking that you are further escalating the situation, but you have to also see that the younger guy was being egged on by his friends and that he didn't want to lose face so he very possibly was setting up the old man, first telling him to leave then when the old guy complied he took this as a sign of weakness and proceeded to test him further by pushing him to see his reaction to which then he would have escalated the assault to something further.

This of course is just one possibility, the old man could have just went to the front of the bus and shut up which in theory could have stopped the situation or possibly continued it we never know.
Unfortunately we never know what's going on in someone's mind so we never know their actions perfectly beforehand.
Hindsight is always 20/20.
As we see here in the second clip, the old man isn't all there, and we see that the young guy is still trying to save face.

The comment about two idiots is true.

Youtube comments also make a statement about the disturbing mentality that is becoming increasingly common in the US.

I hate watching videos like this, people who are in them make the whole human race look bad.

But we can learn something from this, the world can use a severe dose of reason and compassion.