3 moves combo

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many years ago, I had a CMA magazine from Hong Kong "New Martial Hero (新武侠)". In that magazine, there was a section called "3 moves combo (三招了)". Different writers shared their personal MA skill. One of the 3 moves combo was described as:

1. Block - A throws a right leading punch at B. B blocks with his right back arm.
2. Jab - B punches back with left leading arm toward A's chest.
3. Cross - A drops right leading arm to block B's left punch, B then throws right back punch toward A's face.

I like this combo that I can use a jab to force my opponent to block it. I then throw anther cross toward the opening that I have just created (when my opponent drops his arm to block my punch). It's a simple but important principle - create an opening, attack the opening.

I was young back then. But I had learned a lot from that section. May be we can start to share our favor combo (3 moves, 4 moves, 5 moves, ...).

Anybody like to share your favor combo here?

oneoftheherd80

White Belt
Reaction score
It seems like a good concept. but I think a lot of schools/arts don't put emphasis one 3 part combinations. Or maybe I am wrong?

I base part of that on the fact that nobody has yet answered your question nor your illustration yet.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It depends, I think. It would be one thing if you were boxing, another if mixing with kicks.

And in a self defense situation, I think it would depend on the circumstances, the distance you start at, and who it was you're going to hit. Different for a much taller opponent, or a significantly shorter opponent. I think so anyway.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It seems like a good concept. but I think a lot of schools/arts don't put emphasis one 3 part combinations. Or maybe I am wrong?

I base part of that on the fact that nobody has yet answered your question nor your illustration yet.
When you attack, your opponent may block or dodge. What will you do after that? Do you need to plan ahead of your time?

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
For a particular attack, inside block, knife hand to carotid artery, upward elbow to chin. All with same side. Other side controlling weapon.

oneoftheherd80

White Belt
Reaction score
When you attack, your opponent may block or dodge. What will you do after that? Do you need to plan ahead of your time?
Sounds reasonable if you are talking to most MA. If to me personally, my art is mostly defensive in nature so I wouldn't normally be on the attack. However, some of our defenses can be used to attack. So I will give your post due consideration.

Latest Discussions