2012 US Presidential Election - Pick a winner.

Who do you -wish- would win the 2012 election?

• Democratic Party: Barack Obama / Joe Biden

• Republican Party: Mitt Romney / Paul Ryan

• Libertarian Party Gary Johnson / Jim Gray

• Green Party Jill Stein / Cheri Honkala

• Other - Please Specify

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The next United States presidential election is to be held on Tuesday, November 6, 2012. It will be the 57th quadrennial presidential election in which presidential electors, who will officially elect the president and the vice president of the United States on December 17, 2012, will be chosen. Incumbent President Barack Obama is running for a second and final term during this election.[SUP][1][/SUP] His major challenger is former Massachusetts Governor, Republican Mitt Romney.[SUP][2][/SUP] Two other candidates have attained ballot access sufficient enough to mathematically win the election by a majority of the electoral college: former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson, the Libertarian Party nominee;[SUP][3][/SUP] and Jill Stein, the Green Party nominee.
(Wikipedia)

So since we have 4 parties with a chance at the Big Chair, while we know it's going to be Obama or Romney who gets the nod, rather than pick the person you will be voting for, or who you think will win,

Pick the person you -want- to win.

No "They don't have a chance", or "lessor of two evils", or "wasting my vote" stuff.

Obama vs Romney vs Johnson vs Stein. 4 way dance. Who do you want to come out on top?

:D

Ballot Access: 270 Electoral Votes needed to win. Both the DNC and GOP have automatic access to all 50 states. Third parties must go through long and difficult processes to have their candidates listed on ballots, with challenges against them regularly issued by the "Big Two".

Ballot access to 270 or more electoral votes

Two parties have so far attained ballot access in states controlling at least 270 electoral votes, which is the minimum threshold needed to win the presidency through a majority in the electoral college vote.

Libertarian Party
  • Gary Johnson, former governor of New Mexico;[SUP][3][/SUP] vice-presidential nominee: Jim Gray, retired state court judge, from California[SUP][71][/SUP]
Candidate Ballot Access:[SUP][72][/SUP] The Johnson/Gray ticket is on all state ballots except in Michigan and Oklahoma where its ballot access has been challenged. (515 Electoral)Write-In Candidate Access:[SUP][73][/SUP] Michigan Further information: Libertarian Party (United States), 2012 Libertarian National Convention, and Gary Johnson presidential campaign, 2012

Green Party
  • Jill Stein, medical doctor from Massachusetts;[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][74][/SUP] vice-presidential nominee: Cheri Honkala, social organiser, from Pennsylvania.[SUP][75][/SUP]
Candidate Ballot Access:[SUP][76][/SUP] Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, DC, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin - (448 Electoral)Write-In Candidate Access:[SUP][76][/SUP] Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Missouri, New Hampshire Further information: Green Party of the United States, 2012 Green National Convention, and Jill Stein presidential campaign, 2012

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's what I say dude.

Go Obama! Please! Just, Go!

:D

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why, Bob?

Leaving aside, for the political farce that it is, the rabid and non-rational Republicanitus that infects the Study , why do people, whose opinions I have some time for, not grasp that the only way America is going to survive is to change the road it's on?

We ceded to you the authority of the British Empire as part of the price for your help in defeating Nazism but that influence has waned rather quicker than anyone would have imagined. Other powers are rising (tho' I do not subscribe to the opinions that some express that those powers will exceed America any time soon) and aggressive application of military might is not going to be the tool that works to change that process. Economic power is the thing that matters and the ethos that underlies the American economy is not one that can be sustained as it is for much longer. So the road must be changed and President Obama has at least tried to put one foot on a different path.

I acknowledge that change is scary, particularly if many do not see what is in it for themselves. But change is sometimes good, if it is done with eyes open. So, as I asked above; why does even a rational man like Cap'n Bob feel that Obama is not a useful part of the eventual solution?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Go Obama!

It makes no sense for anybody who belongs to the 99% to vote for guy who belongs to the top 1%.

We can't afford to have another 4 years of the same Bush policy.

I'm glad to move out of the red Texas state and move into the blue California state.

Last edited:

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, I think it's funny when people start bantering about politics and it makes me think about the ones who complain, but don't vote..??
While I refuse to argue politics or religion in polite company, I will say I believe voting is a privilege and a right hard won by many who have
gone before. Subsequently, I will exercise that right in November and will offer no apologies for my decision. In the end, no matter what, I still
get up and go to work the next morning.

***bows***

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, my comments more just poking a little friendly fun at Arni than a real anti-Obama comment.

But.

Regarding Mr. Obama, while I think his heart's in the right place, and a fair number of his current positions compliment my own, I don't believe that he is 'the best man for the job'. Even after 4 years, I think he lacks experience. He's not in my eyes a leader, but an apologist. I want my President to be someone I'd follow, and not out of morbid curiosity. Mr. Obama doesn't seem to believe in America. Not the same one I do. The one where hard work matters. Where achievement is to be applauded. Where an individual, matters. His view seems that of a collective. Since I'm not Borg, the idea of a collective doesn't interest me. He apologizes and bows and grovels before the world too much. He constantly craps on long time allies while *** kissing long time enemies. He reminds me of Quadafy back in the 80's. He's signed laws that I find offensive, allowed the erosion of our rights to continue, done nothing to improve our border security, in fact his government's made it worse. Under his watch the TSA has continued to violate rights and rob travelers. He's pushed an unethical mandated patronage of bloated insurance with our rates skyrocketing and service quality plummeting. Entrepreneurship is down. Debt is up. The economy continues to be crap. Prices are up, wages down, and employment continues to be a problem. Small businesses chaff under increased regulation and requirement.

In short, the last 4 years have not made America 'better'. 4 more years along this path, and we'll be in the same boat as Greece, or Spain. I don't see that as a win.
And no. I don't lay all the blame at his feet, hence my saying 'his government'. All his czars, and layers and layers of added useless flunkys, most tax cheats, hasn't helped America be America.

4 more years of this, no.

And Romney, who will continue the worst of Obama's policies, while adding in an entirely new level of support for bigotry, hate, and even more grist to the military industrial grinder?

No. Just, no.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, my comments more just poking a little friendly fun at Arni than a real anti-Obama comment.

But.

Regarding Mr. Obama, while I think his heart's in the right place, and a fair number of his current positions compliment my own, I don't believe that he is 'the best man for the job'. Even after 4 years, I think he lacks experience. He's not in my eyes a leader, but an apologist. I want my President to be someone I'd follow, and not out of morbid curiosity. Mr. Obama doesn't seem to believe in America. Not the same one I do. The one where hard work matters. Where achievement is to be applauded. Where an individual, matters. His view seems that of a collective. Since I'm not Borg, the idea of a collective doesn't interest me. He apologizes and bows and grovels before the world too much. He constantly craps on long time allies while *** kissing long time enemies. He reminds me of Quadafy back in the 80's. He's signed laws that I find offensive, allowed the erosion of our rights to continue, done nothing to improve our border security, in fact his government's made it worse. Under his watch the TSA has continued to violate rights and rob travelers. He's pushed an unethical mandated patronage of bloated insurance with our rates skyrocketing and service quality plummeting. Entrepreneurship is down. Debt is up. The economy continues to be crap. Prices are up, wages down, and employment continues to be a problem. Small businesses chaff under increased regulation and requirement.

In short, the last 4 years have not made America 'better'. 4 more years along this path, and we'll be in the same boat as Greece, or Spain. I don't see that as a win.
And no. I don't lay all the blame at his feet, hence my saying 'his government'. All his czars, and layers and layers of added useless flunkys, most tax cheats, hasn't helped America be America.

4 more years of this, no.

And Romney, who will continue the worst of Obama's policies, while adding in an entirely new level of support for bigotry, hate, and even more grist to the military industrial grinder?

No. Just, no.

Outstanding.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why, Bob?

Leaving aside, for the political farce that it is, the rabid and non-rational Republicanitus that infects the Study , why do people, whose opinions I have some time for, not grasp that the only way America is going to survive is to change the road it's on?

We ceded to you the authority of the British Empire as part of the price for your help in defeating Nazism but that influence has waned rather quicker than anyone would have imagined. Other powers are rising (tho' I do not subscribe to the opinions that some express that those powers will exceed America any time soon) and aggressive application of military might is not going to be the tool that works to change that process. Economic power is the thing that matters and the ethos that underlies the American economy is not one that can be sustained as it is for much longer. So the road must be changed and President Obama has at least tried to put one foot on a different path.

I acknowledge that change is scary, particularly if many do not see what is in it for themselves. But change is sometimes good, if it is done with eyes open. So, as I asked above; why does even a rational man like Cap'n Bob feel that Obama is not a useful part of the eventual solution?

1: There are, unfortunately, a number of issues that Mr. Obama has been on the wrong side of the issue on. Most of these are civil issues where he has been unacceptably authoritarian, and centered around the war on terror - Indefinite detention, warentless wiretapping, etc. These are legitimate reasons to oppose him.

Yet, we believe so many things that just aren't so.

2: After thirty years of having it excoriated, the idea of the social contract is dying in America. That the peaks of an individual's greatness are built upon the foundation provided to all by all is forgotten. In years past, we may have argued about the details of that contract, but a great segment of the population now denies that having a foundation for all to build upon is gone. We are beginning to forget, I fear, that in addition to being individuals, that we are also a people.

3: In addition to the whipping of the social contract, very, very few Americans have an understanding of the basic cycle of economics. We have been sold the falsehood that if we just give capital enough money and get out of the way, they will automagically make everything good - but the problem is that without demand, capital can do nothing. We have forgotten that it is a cycle, not a line. Too many rational people still believe in Golden Shower Economics largely because they know little else. The plutocracy has near won the 'hearts and minds' battle. In the long run, joke's on them too; after the wolves eat all the deer and rabbits, they starve, but boy do they have a good time before that happens.

4: Then there's the gigantic pile of deliberate lies, falsehoods, half-truths, smokescreens, etc, yes, on the parts of both political parties and the wealthy who serve them.

Our Overton window basically faces the Eye of Sauron, and it's eating our soul.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Damn, clicked the wrong one, you asked who do I wish would win not who do I think will win….sorry about that.

But regardless I may be back to my usual voting strategy of vote for who I feel is the least dangerous and who will do the least amount of damage…. And if I look at only the two major parties…. That is REALLY hard to figure out

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, the two main vote getters here are really diametrically opposed philosophically. Obama the statist, Gary Johnson the anti-statist. Unfortunately, the only votes that will make a difference this election will be the ones for obama, and not in a good way. In this election cycle, I have to say, voting for Gary Johnson is a wasted and dangerous vote. As a reluctant voter for Romney, I acknowledge that you can't always vote to get your beliefs advanced. At the same time, voting in a way that allows the opponents of your views to get an even firmer grip on our society is not only counterproductive, it could make it more than likely your views will never get a fair hearing. At worst, if Romney wins, he will be a place holder. A typical moderate republican he will be a mixed bag on most things but that is far superior to the guarantee that you get with obama. Obama is guaranteed to increase taxes, attack coal, natural gas, and oil, to make healthcare worse, and he will appoint hard left Justices to the supreme court who will set back the conservative and libertarian views of society with 20-30 years of far left decisions that will impact all of our basic freedoms. Decisions on property rights vs. government encroachment, our rights to religious freedom, and our right to keep and bear arms will be set back in the next 20-30 years. obama will guarantee that we will head into a recession and then more than likely a real depression. Also, our foreign policy will become even weaker and attacks will increase, as the bad guys become as bold as they were up to 9/11. We'll know a year from Nov. 6 how bad things are going to be.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions