2008 Unlucky so far.....

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a bit of a feel sorry for myself rant......

Had the flu and then an inner ear infection. Haven't been able to train much since before the holidays. :barf:

1st class back I twisted my knee. :eek:

The sweeling is finally down and I can finaly move it freely and put my weight on it. It is still not 100% and I am going crazy not being able to train. I know from past stupidity not to rush back and overdo it.

I'm cranky, bummed out and driving my wife crazy......:banghead:

-Marc-

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Marc hang in there. In these troubling times is when our true courage and strength are tested to make us stronger to face new challanges.
Remain well

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
2008 did not start too well for me either.. 1st of January I got sucker punched by some lowlife, my car was broken into and I caught the flu.

Got better from there, especially after training started again. Perhaps you can do some very light excersises?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I too caught the flu on New Years Eve...

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a bit of a feel sorry for myself rant......

Had the flu and then an inner ear infection. Haven't been able to train much since before the holidays. :barf:

1st class back I twisted my knee. :eek:

The sweeling is finally down and I can finaly move it freely and put my weight on it. It is still not 100% and I am going crazy not being able to train. I know from past stupidity not to rush back and overdo it.

I'm cranky, bummed out and driving my wife crazy......:banghead:

-Marc-
i know how you feel, when I hyperextended my knee i was so bummed, then I caught a stomach virus, but I was stupid and rushed back to soon at least you know better. Take it slow do what the Doc says and youll be up and 100% in no time

B

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like the flu is hitting alot of us. I had mine in Nov/Dec time frame and it kept me down pretty good for about 2 weeks.

It's 2008 folks, let's try and stay optimistic and cheery LOL. We need to look forward to the rest of the year and keep that chin up.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I know is take your time and when do finally get better you will feel alot better for the rest.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Shotochem, Here's hoping you have a quick recovery and everything is moving forward and up from here!

FWIW, there was a discussion in another thread that might be worth consideration. The thread can be found here, but a great point brought up by Brother John was this:

<<While my knee was healing from surgery, my instructor and my friend suggested that I run through the techniques and sets while sitting in a chair. Sounds odd, but if I visualized my footwork with all the clarity I could muster while I worked on perfecting the form and fluidity of my upper body movements, THEN.....once I was up on my feet again, even though I was moving SLOWLY while I finished up the healing process, I could coordinate the upper and lower body motions, and work hard to perfect the form and continuity of motion throughout. I gradually sped up as the healing completed and I gained in physical confidence. (it shakes your physical confidence to have a knee "go out" on you and drop you to the floor when you THOUGHT it should be ready to hold you)
In the end, not only did my skills NOT deteriorate, but I'd found new insights into the upper body portion of the techs and then in the coordination of upper and lower platforms together.
I was actually BETTER than before I'd torn my ACL!!!!!>>

Hope the rest of 2008 is MUuuuuuuuuuuuuUUCH better!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Yes life is sometimes unfair....look around..at least you are NOT dead, injury, or cripple....

You have choice of foods to eat...things to do..and NOT worry about your back or terrorist bombs like in Iraq

You live in a free country.....

Sometimes we complain about small things (that is big to us) .....

Do not think about your small problems....enjoy the living, enjoy helping others, enjoy the freedoms, OUR PROBLEMS ARE SMALL COMPARE TO THE THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES!

Life is very short....make the best of it....Don't think...just enjoy and be happy!

DID YOU KNOW OUR MAIN GOALS IS BE HAPPY AND HAVE A HAPPY LIFE...everyone has so call problems....it is a part of life.

YOU can still be happy with lots of problems ....IF there was NO problems...how would life be? ......dead?

BE happy and simile.....learning martial arts..has it's problems too!
too short...too tall..too fast...too slow...too many techniques?

Aloha ( Please solve one problem at a time....)

PS: first problem..too much time on this site..Martial art talk forums..need to cut back? ...UM ...need more time for push-ups..

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Yes life is sometimes unfair....look around..at least you are NOT dead, injury, or cripple....

You have choice of foods to eat...things to do..and NOT worry about your back or terrorist bombs like in Iraq

You live in a free country.....

Sometimes we complain about small things (that is big to us) .....

Do not think about your small problems....enjoy the living, enjoy helping others, enjoy the freedoms, OUR PROBLEMS ARE SMALL COMPARE TO THE THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES!

Life is very short....make the best of it....Don't think...just enjoy and be happy!

DID YOU KNOW OUR MAIN GOALS IS BE HAPPY AND HAVE A HAPPY LIFE...everyone has so call problems....it is a part of life.

YOU can still be happy with lots of problems ....IF there was NO problems...how would life be? ......dead?

BE happy and simile.....learning martial arts..has it's problems too!
too short...too tall..too fast...too slow...too many techniques?

Aloha ( Please solve one problem at a time....)

PS: first problem..too much time on this site..Martial art talk forums..need to cut back? ...UM ...need more time for push-ups..

Amen to that! I am especially guilty of the last one - too much time on the forums :D. If your year starts out bad, that usually means that it is going to get much better as it goes on. I hope your situation improves, and just remember the wisdom that Still learning has posted.

OP
Shotochem

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Thanks for all the support and warm wishes.:)

I am hoping to start taking classes next week at the earliest. I will start gradually and not go all out for a while. I am very lucky. I just found out there is no structural damage to my knee. Fortunately I somehow managed not to tear anything. If I am careful, I should be back to normal in a few weeks.:)

I have taken to a bit of reading, visalizing, analyzing and breaking down my Kempo techniques. As it is not my first art, I am going be constructive and try to get a better understanding of my newer art. I spent 1/2 an hour (15min am 15min pm) doing slow motion kata re-remembering my old Shotokan forms. I will do the same with my Kempo forms and techs until I get back.

The most useful thing I have done has been to stay and watch my sons class with the kids. I had forgotten how much you can learn just by sitting there watching others. :asian:

-Marc-

Latest Discussions