Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
20 Lawmakers Want to Kill Your Television

Tuesday October 11, @01:21AM

Macki writes "As previously mentioned, the Broadcast Flag is back before congress. There are 20 law makers currently supporting the bill. The insane thing about it is the fact that no one supports the bill except a handful of entertainment companies. Probably not even the employees of the entertainment companies. It's bad enough they want to break our televisions, but the way that they are subverting democracy is just astounding. Danny O'Brien at the EFF has done a spectacular job deconstructingthe MPAA/RIAA's efforts to ramrod this through, and more importantly, the motivations of the members of congress who are helping them."

(SlashDot)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
20 Lawmakers Want to Kill Your Television

Tuesday October 11, @01:21AM

Macki writes "As previously mentioned, the Broadcast Flag is back before congress. There are 20 law makers currently supporting the bill. The insane thing about it is the fact that no one supports the bill except a handful of entertainment companies. Probably not even the employees of the entertainment companies. It's bad enough they want to break our televisions, but the way that they are subverting democracy is just astounding. Danny O'Brien at the EFF has done a spectacular job deconstructingthe MPAA/RIAA's efforts to ramrod this through, and more importantly, the motivations of the members of congress who are helping them."

(SlashDot)
Seems to a pretty bi-partisan bunch of clowns...Including John Kerry, George Allen, Trent Lott, Barbara Boxer and John McCain among an all-star cast. So I guess the entertainment industry isn't just in the pockets of one particular party, they have a long reach.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't kill my TV it new and itis a 47 inch plasma flat panel. Way to much money to just kill it. Can't we just re-negotiate re-runs of Gilligan Island and Bewitched.

Terry

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nah, they won't completely kill it, they'll make you buy (or rent) a box that can decode the signal to something your tv can display.

Although I am all for the reruns idea... I'll take reruns over more reality tv anyday.

Doesn't matter to me though, I already killed my tv... Cheaper to buy series on dvd for the amount of tv I watch, plus no commercials and able to watch whenever I please :D

Maybe the bill will pass and the public will finally get fed up with the MPAA (and RIAA while they are at it) and find some new hobbies... A few years later perhaps something will finally click for them and they will realise that we, the public, are what puts the money in there pockets and they should listen to what we want instead of deciding what they want us to want.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
ok, so my existing set won't work, I have to buy a new one or buy an adapter. MPAA and RIAA make more money and we continue to take it in the *** because we're too sheepish to band together, stand united and tell these SOBs off, and then back it.

Wheres the problem?

Latest Discussions