2 on 1 easier than 1 on 1?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually think 2 on 1 sparring is a lot easier than 1 on 1. The few times I've done it, it's been very easy for me to guess how my opponents will react in a 2 on 1 environment (one will go back while the other counters), making fakes and traps easier to set up. This is compared with 1 on 1 where they may take any number of actions when I attack or fake.

Anyway, that's my observation. How about yours?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once the two guys have a system down it is very hard to overcome.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the goal to evaluate? Ie. Are you assessing by time up, or strikes taken, or take downs etc?

If the two are coordinating attacks and have some sort of tactic for duo fighting it's hard. But two tripping over each other can buy time.

Last edited:
OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We do X-on-1 sparring at higher belt levels. What I find is when I close in on opponent A, opponent A dodges the attack and opponent B counterattacks for him (basic strategy). This makes them highly predictable, and if I can stay ahead and either outthink this basic strategy or keep one in the middle its easier than going one on one.

It doesn't really get scored, but I feel I do better in this scenario than I do in 1 on 1.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually think 2 on 1 sparring is a lot easier than 1 on 1. The few times I've done it, it's been very easy for me to guess how my opponents will react in a 2 on 1 environment (one will go back while the other counters), making fakes and traps easier to set up. This is compared with 1 on 1 where they may take any number of actions when I attack or fake.

As you have posted this in the TKD forum I might assume that the 2 on 1 are predominantly kicking. If that is the case keeping one opponent between you and the other can be quite effective. However once grappling is involved the dynamic changes completely.
:asian:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do X-on-1 sparring at higher belt levels. What I find is when I close in on opponent A, opponent A dodges the attack and opponent B counterattacks for him (basic strategy). This makes them highly predictable, and if I can stay ahead and either outthink this basic strategy or keep one in the middle its easier than going one on one.

It doesn't really get scored, but I feel I do better in this scenario than I do in 1 on 1.

The way I see it is that multiple opponents should not be viewed as multiple, just as one on one. Sort of like deal then retreat, deal then retreat and so on.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The way I see it is that multiple opponents should not be viewed as multiple, just as one on one. Sort of like deal then retreat, deal then retreat and so on.
Until one grabs you.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until one grabs you.

Yeah. But you can still mitigate that to some degree. The sensible thing would be to retreat if a person would only get a kicking. That is part of my thinking on this with protection.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The problem I see alot with 2 on 1 sparing is most of the time the attackers wait and take turns one attacks then the next. So it's easy for the single person to defend it. Like Transk53 said attack retreat attack retreat. Alot harder to do if they both attack at same time.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always tell students "the best way to fight more than one person at a time is... DON'T".

Either split them up (which requires a lot of movement and is very much a game for the young, fit and energetic) or move so that they interfere with each other.

Both of which are easier said than done, and really really difficult if the people actually work together, rather than (as is more usual) taking turns.

Fighting more than one person is much like going empty hand vs weapons. It can be done. There are ways to attempt it.

But you're definitely in a bad situation.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As you have posted this in the TKD forum I might assume that the 2 on 1 are predominantly kicking. If that is the case keeping one opponent between you and the other can be quite effective. However once grappling is involved the dynamic changes completely.
That's when you kick the guy you know you can beat, and once he is out, you may grapple with the tougher dude. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK working as a security guard we do this a bit. Two up you have already passed the guy to his blind side. So as he strikes the other guy pops him from the side. He turns to get the other guy then you are popping him from the side.

Two things. As a team you both have to be willing to stand and trade. You can't be running off. And you need to keep the one guy between you.

From there you just sit in the pocket and bang.

Or close the distance and grapple.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

My observation is that 2 on 1 is easier only if you are part of the 2.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lots of strategies depending on Numbers. I believe the book "What the Masters Know" has diagrams for mutiple strategies, on 1 v 2 , 2 v 3, etc.

1 v 2,3,4 the basic idea is not to be in the middle, maneuver to the outside so adversaries are in their own way. Except for Run Foo / Nike Jitsu defensive strategy is usualy a war of attrition you will lose. With an unknown number of adversaries or even a large number, being in a corner can help keep opponents from getting behind you as can being in a narrow hallway limiting the number that can reach you at one time. (i.E. part of the reason for the success of the "300").

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Going only on what you are describing, the 2 you are sparring aren't working with each other very well. Just as the lone fighter has to understand how to spar against multiple people, the multiples have to learn how to spar against a lone opponent. If one person evades and lets the other attack, my first question is why aren't they both attacking? Once the 2 start attacking they technically should not stop as a lone person cannot retalliate without leaving an opening one of the 2 opponents can take advantage of.

Also, the multiples should consider the position of their help when attacking. If my partner is to my right , throwing an attack with my right side allows the lone fighter to circle away from my help. Instead I should try to force the lone person into my help where defending is going to be harder. If the lone fighter has managed to get us in a line and I am in front I usually try to press or occupy the lone fighter until my help can get to a more advantageous position.

Next time you do this drill, tell your opponents to be more aggresive and see if you have the same success.

My final disclaimer is this goes for sparring only. An actual fight against multiple people is a different animal.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two opponents bouncing around and playing tag from long range isn't that hard to deal with.

Two opponents pressing the fight at close quarters - punching, grabbing, shoving you against a wall - is much harder to deal with.

Two armed opponents coming at you aggressively - very hard indeed.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I took this OFT.

Tony Dismukes said:
Two opponents pressing the fight at close quarters - punching, grabbing, shoving you against a wall - is much harder to deal with.

Yeah it is, that is why you do not allow it. As I said, deal and retreat one on one.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If the two contain and work to drive the victim into the partner's attacks, having twice as many weapons can be brutal. This teamwork isn't often enough trained for people to people to get experience with skilled partner-attackers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest Discussions