1st Grader Accused Of Sexual Harassment

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Link

A Boston elementary school is investigating a 7-year-old first-grader for sexual harassment after he struck another boy his age in the groin. But the mother of the accused said her son was fending off the other child, who had choked him in an altercation on a school bus on Nov. 22.
“I think my kid was right to fight back,’’ said the mother, Tasha Lynch, 30. “He wasn’t doing anything except protecting himself.’

So, in a SD situation, we, as adults, can be charged with sexual assault as well? Please....this has to be one of the craziest things I've heard of.
[h=2][/h]

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes a punch is just a punch....

It does really reflect badly at the so called adults involved.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was a kid they called it dirty fighting. :angel:
Now a days, everything revloves around sexual something..................

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was in a reasonably good mood until I read this... For Crying Out Loud!! assault maybe but not SEXUAL... geez!

I guess the poor kid is going to have to register himself as a sex offender for the rest of his life huh?
<heavy sarcasm>

rainesr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
These kind of charges against kids are getting too common, it is disconcerting. Kids don't have the skills to be in total control, sometimes the resolve conflict with a scuffle. It shouldn't be encouraged, but pulling out possible felony charges on a couple 7 year old kids in a fight seems a bit much.

It could be the DA probably has no point of reference, a jab or two to the groin might give the DA the experience he needs to better determine if this was a sexual situation.

~Rob

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
...Explain to Me how punching someone in the testicles is in the same category as molestation, rape, and groping strangers?

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You`re all reading it wrong. Go back and forget what it was labeled on THIS site, just look at what the link called it. Not sexual assault, but sexual harassment. It`s stupid, we all admit that, but because there was unwanted contact with somebody`s wedding tackle they`ve got to cover their backsides and say "Was this harassment?" because if there was a pattern of kids whacking each other (like kids of a certain age have done since we came down from the trees and will continue to do until the sun burns itself out) some lawyer will tell some parent they can sue the school district for allowing sexual harassment to take place.The same as if someone was telling off color jokes, grabbing tiny butts, or anything else.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You`re all reading it wrong. Go back and forget what it was labeled on THIS site, just look at what the link called it. Not sexual assault, but sexual harassment. It`s stupid, we all admit that, but because there was unwanted contact with somebody`s wedding tackle they`ve got to cover their backsides and say "Was this harassment?" because if there was a pattern of kids whacking each other (like kids of a certain age have done since we came down from the trees and will continue to do until the sun burns itself out) some lawyer will tell some parent they can sue the school district for allowing sexual harassment to take place.The same as if someone was telling off color jokes, grabbing tiny butts, or anything else.

The school has also declined to comment because as it says it's still investigating this. It could be either boy to blame so needs careful investigation. The boy who hit the other in the groin could be saying it was self defence because he is in fact doing as David suggested and going round hitting other boys in the groin, which I certainly think would come under some sort of assult charge, or he could have been defending himself and that was the only way he could get the other lad off. How many adults have you heard tell kids to 'hit him where it hurts'? it's probably better at this point to wait and see what the school comes up with in it's investigation.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If in fact child one was chocking shild 2 and child 2 responded with a groin strike my only thought on this whole charging child 2 with sexual harrasement is....

:duh: please stop the planet....I want to get off...

or to quote my favorite Philosopher.... I've had all I can stands and I can't stands no more :disgust:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We only have the word of one side, it could turn out that the kid accused made a habit of kicking other boys in the groin, maybe not. Always tricky taking sides.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We only have the word of one side, it could turn out that the kid accused made a habit of kicking other boys in the groin, maybe not. Always tricky taking sides.

even if it's just that, as a 7yo, how much of it is 'sexual' vs just being a little prick and trying to hurt the other boys where he knows it will?

Somewhere we are messed up. On one hand the kids are not supposed to know there are 2 kinds of people on the earth until they are married, on the other hand elementary kids are being dinged for sexual harassment for hugging classmates ore kicking/punching them in the groin.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sorry about that misleading title. Its been fixed. Nonetheless, the school system is still over reacting. What amazes me, is that the school is focusing so much on the kid defending himself, and not the kid who physically assaulted her son. IMO, I'm glad the kid defended himself, and whats a shame is the school system does nothing to stop bullying. You're there to learn, not get harassed, choked, beat up, etc, daily. IMO, no, this wasnt harassment, it was SD. What would they call it if he hauled off and bashed the kid in the face?

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also note that this hasn't become a police investigation or State prosecution, at least not yet. It's another case of school officials and zero-tolerance, "report-em-all" policies having counterintuitive results.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it the school who's put this out, they say they are investigating. We don't know what's been said to the parents of the other child as they don't seem to have spoken to the press. It seems to be the parent of the child who allegedly kicked the other one who's put it out to the press. Here if there's children under 16 involved the press aren't supposed to mention names of any of them. I've dealt with situations like this with one child accusing another and the parents getting involved, schools often have to get involved too as the parents will drag them in, threaten all sorts. Often it's the parents who make situations much worse. Schools are often able to sort things out as they know what children are like but you have a parent screaming about going to the police, their MP, the Education Minister, the Prime Minister eve etc etc it gets very pressured and over blown.
We don't know what happened or which child is the bully, which the defender, we just know who talked to the press first.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's all just Bull Sh...

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another crazy case of the school system over reacting. Notifying the kids parents, perhaps calling him to the office and explaining that what he said isn't right, don't do it again, but a suspension...come on...a bit much, IMO.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again though we only have the mother's word that the child was suspended for using the word 'cute', the school has declined to comment. It could actually be a lot worse than that, the mother to be fair could be taking her child's word for it and standing up for him. Again we only have one side of the story. The school understandably perhaps won't say anything more.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Again though we only have the mother's word that the child was suspended for using the word 'cute', the school has declined to comment. It could actually be a lot worse than that, the mother to be fair could be taking her child's word for it and standing up for him. Again we only have one side of the story. The school understandably perhaps won't say anything more.
My gf showed me this article last night and I was going to post it. Granfire beat me to it.
It's getting out of hand ... all of it.
Not just with kids but with adults and in the work place.

The school "understandably" won't say anything more? Probably because they know how STUPID they look. Probably because they know they don't have a leg to stand on. Probably, because they know how STUPID they look, (yes, I said that twice).

Sexual harassment IS a serious thing. A woman (or man) should be able to function in their place of employment without worries about undue and inappropriate distractions/attention from their fellow employees and management or even from the customers they interact with. Children, until they're proven to actually know better or are aware of the implied wording/actions should be exempt because they just don't know or understand the sexual connotations that CAN be associated with their actions/words. Even if they did I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the time they're not even THINKING along those lines. Especially as young as 1st-4th graders... even if they are aware of the implications.
One has to intentionally mean sexuality if they intend to apply words/actions towards their *ahem* "subject". But when it gets to the point where a compliment, which is probably what the kid had meant his "cute" statement to be -- or more along the lines of saying something nice which he probably was referred to as cute himself a few times and is using that via mimicry, and it's made into a "bad" thing, then we might as well not say anything to anyone anymore. Might as well stop teaching kids how to talk and socialize altogether. Because eventually it's going to get so bad now that even LOOKING in another person's direction could be construed as harassment. Don't think I'm joking.

To me harassment, ok, to me. Is when a man see's a woman co-worker wearing an outfit that flatters her figure and he says something lewd about it i.e. "she's/you're just spilling out all over the place with that blouse". Or if he's wanting relations with her and comes out and makes a suggestive proposal, reaches out and pinches her butt or cops a feel whatever! Definitely harassment and definitely a call for disciplinary action(s). It can be considered harassment if he asks a co-worker out on a date (which is illegal in 90+% of the work places these days, because of the harassment laws) and they say "no" and he persists time and again constantly then it's harassment because she's already said no and likely has said "no" each time he's asked... obviously he hasn't learned to accept defeat in that particular field of battle, it's harassment.
But to sincerely compliment on how an outfit or hair, even make up looks upon a woman shouldn't be considered as anything more than a compliment. Given once and with a sincere tone or even as a "by the way" off the cuff comment, i.e. "that style looks good on you". That's fricken harassment? Gimme a break will ya. Tonal inflection, facial expression, body language and INTENT... all those add up to determine if a comment was harassment.
Double standards too. I get cashiers, order takers, nurses, receptionists, and all manner of working women tossing out little terms i.e. sweetie, hunny, et al. a lot. I can't help but think that if I did that, because I'm a man... I'd probably lose my job.
Fricken B.S.

Now we're subjecting our children to it, and going to rigorously train them... no, BRAINWASH them to being what WE want them to be not who they truly are.

How about building a fricken bridge and getting the hell over it and move on? :mad:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My gf showed me this article last night and I was going to post it. Granfire beat me to it.
It's getting out of hand ... all of it.
Not just with kids but with adults and in the work place.

The school "understandably" won't say anything more? Probably because they know how STUPID they look. Probably because they know they don't have a leg to stand on. Probably, because they know how STUPID they look, (yes, I said that twice).

Sexual harassment IS a serious thing. A woman (or man) should be able to function in their place of employment without worries about undue and inappropriate distractions/attention from their fellow employees and management or even from the customers they interact with. Children, until they're proven to actually know better or are aware of the implied wording/actions should be exempt because they just don't know or understand the sexual connotations that CAN be associated with their actions/words. Even if they did I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the time they're not even THINKING along those lines. Especially as young as 1st-4th graders... even if they are aware of the implications.
One has to intentionally mean sexuality if they intend to apply words/actions towards their *ahem* "subject". But when it gets to the point where a compliment, which is probably what the kid had meant his "cute" statement to be -- or more along the lines of saying something nice which he probably was referred to as cute himself a few times and is using that via mimicry, and it's made into a "bad" thing, then we might as well not say anything to anyone anymore. Might as well stop teaching kids how to talk and socialize altogether. Because eventually it's going to get so bad now that even LOOKING in another person's direction could be construed as harassment. Don't think I'm joking.

To me harassment, ok, to me. Is when a man see's a woman co-worker wearing an outfit that flatters her figure and he says something lewd about it i.e. "she's/you're just spilling out all over the place with that blouse". Or if he's wanting relations with her and comes out and makes a suggestive proposal, reaches out and pinches her butt or cops a feel whatever! Definitely harassment and definitely a call for disciplinary action(s). It can be considered harassment if he asks a co-worker out on a date (which is illegal in 90+% of the work places these days, because of the harassment laws) and they say "no" and he persists time and again constantly then it's harassment because she's already said no and likely has said "no" each time he's asked... obviously he hasn't learned to accept defeat in that particular field of battle, it's harassment.
But to sincerely compliment on how an outfit or hair, even make up looks upon a woman shouldn't be considered as anything more than a compliment. Given once and with a sincere tone or even as a "by the way" off the cuff comment, i.e. "that style looks good on you". That's fricken harassment? Gimme a break will ya. Tonal inflection, facial expression, body language and INTENT... all those add up to determine if a comment was harassment.
Double standards too. I get cashiers, order takers, nurses, receptionists, and all manner of working women tossing out little terms i.e. sweetie, hunny, et al. a lot. I can't help but think that if I did that, because I'm a man... I'd probably lose my job.
Fricken B.S.

Now we're subjecting our children to it, and going to rigorously train them... no, BRAINWASH them to being what WE want them to be not who they truly are.

How about building a fricken bridge and getting the hell over it and move on? :mad:

So you believe just one side when reading stories in the media, that of the person talking to the reporter? I prefer to wait and see what really happened, you don't know that the school is to blame at all because you don't know what has been said to anyone. You don't know that the boy wasn't sexually harrassing other boys by kicking them in the nuts and shouting rude things at them nor more than you know he's telling the truth about what happened. When people read stories int he media they react according to their prejudices and take the side they think should be right regardless of the fact that not all sides have given their statement of what happened, it must always be the school at fault just as it must always be the governments fault. We don't know what the 'cute' comment was, it could have been overtly sexual for all we know or maybe it wasn't, the point is we can't jusdge we weren't there and we haven't been given the full story, getting het up over either of these reports without knowing all sides is leading to high blood pressure for no reason.
don't believe everything you read, use common sesne and wait for all sides comment, don't assume that the person who got to the press first is automatically right.

As for the other stuff about compliments etc, never heard, seen or had happen any of that stuff so to me it's all nonsense. Men getting paranoid perhaps?

Latest Discussions