4. Be accurate with timing.
5. Be continuous when applying Fan Sau.
6. Do not use all your strength.
7. Protect your own posture.
8. Be alert with your eyes.
9. Coordinate your hands and feet.
10. Unite your waist and stance.
11. Movements must be agile.
12. Comprehend the principles of Yin and Yang.
13. Remain calm.
14. Be steady with your breathing and strength.
15. Sink your inner Chi.
16. Be commanding with your fighting demeanor.
17. Be quick to end the fight.

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2013/10/seventeen-keys-to-wing-chun-kuen.html
has 17 pics with a Key each.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I must just be in a contrary mood today, because most of these seem so general and obvious that they come off as kinda dumb. First-off they apply to just about any martial art and impart no special advice to the WC practitioner. Second there are so many other sayings that communicate much more. You know stuff like "Loi lau hoi sung, lat sau jik chung" (stay with what comes, follow the retreat, and thrust forward when the hand is free) or "Lin-siu di dar" (Simultaneous defense and attack), "Yat fook yee" (One hand controls two), "Kuen yau sum faat" (the punch comes from the heart), etc.

To get what I'm saying, try saying the opposite of any of these and see how silly it sounds. See below:

1. Be ferocious when clashing.
2. Be fast with your fist. --Be slow with your fist?
3. Be forceful when applying power. --Be wimpy when applying power?
4. Be accurate with timing. --Be sloppy when applying timing?

9. Coordinate your hands and feet. --Be uncoordinated!!!

11. Movements must be agile. --Movements must be clumsy?

17. Be quick to end the fight. --Prolongue a fight!

Well, you get the idea.

OP
Stickgrappler

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello geezer:

*bows deeply*

just to be clear, i didn't make that list. it's a list of general keys/tips/sayings. and i agree with you on some of them sounding very silly. also agree some of it is applicable to other MA.

My training partner always complains when he hears Bruce Lee's "Absorb what is useful..." - and he quips back with who absorbs what is useless?

"Loi lau hoi sung, lat sau jik chung" - those 'kuen kuit'/sayings/tips will be a future post :)

very truly yours in the MA,

~sg

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My training partner always complains when he hears Bruce Lee's "Absorb what is useful..." - and he quips back with who absorbs what is useless?

" Absorb what is useless!" --I love it. In fact that would make a good signature.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I could give you a long list of people I've worked with who have absorbed what is useless and make their business teaching it to the uneducated consumers out there. How much has George Dillman made with no-touch KO seminars?

I did find the list pretty generic for the most part, yeah.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
At one time these may have seemed to nuggets of wisdom. While they have a generic validity in the modern (aka internet) world, they come off about as poignant as those fortune cookies at your local Chinese restaurant.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I could give you a long list of people I've worked with who have absorbed what is useless and make their business teaching it to the uneducated consumers out there. How much has George Dillman made with no-touch KO seminars?

I did find the list pretty generic for the most part, yeah.
I've got to stand up for poor George. He stuffed up big time promoting no touch stuff but a lot of his books and videos are really good. He was one of the first to promote outside the mainstream teaching.
:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, I got a lot of good material from him on bunkai, but also a lot of nonsense as time went on.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
~sg
Ohh Sir, you need to do some open research on this.
There are many many persons who have absorbed and are passing on useless information. I know many who instruct and drill punching and kicking in the air and forms only assorting they are learning self-defense and/or how to fight. There is a lot of rubbish being presented.

OP
Stickgrappler

Stickgrappler

Purple Belt
Reaction score
LOL - ok I will pass onto my training partner that there are many who have absorbed what is useless

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
The fact that WC doesn't have any official keys or principles save for the techniques (centerline theory, etc.) is part of the beauty of the art. I have a different proposition: Figure out what works for you.

Latest Discussions