165 yard shot with a handgun?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally a positive news story about gun ownership.

Thanks for posting......................

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's one heck of a shot. I'm going to try that to see if I can hit targets at that range with a handgun

OP
Grenadier

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With a single action trigger pull, a good set of sights, and a flat-shooting magnum load, it might not be so bad, as long as you have your calibrations in order.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've done an ammo box at 100 yards walking it up to the target, but nothing like that.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
With a single action trigger pull, a good set of sights, and a flat-shooting magnum load, it might not be so bad, as long as you have your calibrations in order.

And he evidently did.

Good he was there. And yes, thanks for a positive gun story.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just another reason to not mess with Texans.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not taking anything away from the story or the citizen involved, but I suspect there's a bit of Texas-sized exaggeration involved.

Under optimum conditions, firing a 44 magnum JHP from a rifle with optimum muzzle velocity, you're looking at something in the neighborhood of 6 to 8 inches of bullet drop by 100 yards. Past that, I don't know, but at a rough guess, I'd think he'd have to be holding something like 12 inches high at the range he was claiming to be hitting at.

I also wonder what his backstop was for any misses. Another trailer? Hey, it all worked out, bad guy dead, I'm OK with this. Just sayin'...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't pull up the link, but did he have a scope on that pistol or what?

Anything beyond 20 or 30 yards and the the front site begins to obscure the entire target ...

Reckon I'll never be a long distance pistol shooter. That's why we have rifles... and tennis shoes.

Latest Discussions