140 move dummy vs 116

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the LT lineages we practice the 116 move dummy set. Do any of you who are of Yip Man lineage practice the 140 move dummy set? Are the 24 additional moves repetition or are certain things left out of the 116?
This was brought up some time ago but as new people come and go to the site I thought it would be interesting for their insight.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the LT lineages we practice the 116 move dummy set. Do any of you who are of Yip Man lineage practice the 140 move dummy set? Are the 24 additional moves repetition or are certain things left out of the 116?
This was brought up some time ago but as new people come and go to the site I thought it would be interesting for their insight.

------------------------------------------------------------
I practice more than 116. The post 116 moves are not repetitious but they include more leg movements than in the 108 or 116. Since I am not in the LT lineage- the details of the moves and their names have some differences from LT's system.

But I also practice and have students practice various WC moves on the dummy without doing the whole form.

joy chaudhuri

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I first began WC in the late 70's, everybody talked about "the 108" movements... at least in the Yip Man lineage (which was the only branch well known outside of China in those days). Apparently there was some "fudging" or "creative counting" to reach the "magical" number of 108, which has special significance in Buddhism and Chinese culture.
Then Yip Chun and Leung Ting came out with the 116 movement version, referencing the older, longer forms of approximately 140 movements. At least that's the short version of the story.

Interestingly the old gold-cover paperback Yip Chun book shows the movements slightly differently than LT's newer book on the 116 movements. And both are slightly different from what LT actually taught. The version I learned from him has a couple less repetitions of one movement, and another, "hidden" kicking technique, making the total is exactly 116 movements, not the 117 as shown in the photo sequence of the books! LT always holds a little back. It's his nature.

Incidentally, Joy, I thought Augusting Fong originally taught the 108 movements. Did he always teach more?

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrote out a long reply to this but my connection dropped....aggghhhhhhhhhh

How many moves does the Foshan version have? As that is what Ip Man learnt and modified.
There are a couple of vids on the tube of it I think but I cant access at the mo to look.
I have a couple of vids from the school i was at and there is a short and long dummy form. Problem is that I dont have permission to post them.
Got a flight to Tokyo later so will have some time, will watch the vid and maybe count the moves!!!

Latest Discussions