WT Ranking/Comparative Skill

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok I see many questions on the ranking structure of WT/WC/VT/VC...

So to start us out, not only saying what the ranking structure is; I'll also explain a bit about the application (techniques) of the rank. Keep in mind this is coming from the Leung Ting system.

Student Grade 1-4

You learn Siu Nim Tau (SNT) and some basic applications from it. Dealing mostly with setting up your stance, moving in your stance, and how to strike and move at the same time.

You learn your basic reactions (Gaun/Gum/Pak/Tan-Da) and You learn how to counter a few certain attacks.

Most of these attacks are either a straight or round (haymayker) punch.

Technically we don't use the same defense against an actual hook. A hook is a very tight punch in which the arm is about 90 degrees; Thus bringing into elbow as well as punching range.

You learn wrist-locks, reversals and shove defenses, and a few very basic choke defenses.

Some WT schools teach basic kicking (chi-gerk) at this stage, and you learn the basic Dan-chi-sau (single sticky arm).

And you learn the basic Lat-sau (freehanded fighting).

Now in comparison to Karate, you get more info from WT in the same amount of time spent in Karate (generalized term, dont get your panties in a bunch Japanese martial artists).

In Karate you'd usually learn your 4 or 5 basic stances, reverse punches, 3 basic kicks, and about 5 wrist/choke defenses. But this is all at the white belt level.

Student Grade 5-8

Chum-Kiu and applications.

You learn chi-sau, section 1 and 2 if you show your ready to your instructor (varies onl school to teach even more chi-sau).

But most importantly about chi-sau, you usually learn the APPLICATIONS to real fighting from chi-sau. You learn more in depth lat-sau.

How do deal with more kicks, strikes, and more in depth study on how and why the body functions. More stuff on "How to feel" your chi-sau. And how to make your anti-synaptic reflexes work better for your style of WT.

Student Grade 9-12 (Assistant Instructor/Black Shirt)

You learn even more Lat-sau (application of chi-sau) and Chi-sau techniques. You learn section 2 (and maybe section 3/4) Chi-sau. Your body starts recognizing more and more feelings and you start REALLY developing these reactions till you don't think about it, they are just a part of you.

1 Technician (1st level instructor) - 4TG

You Finish out section 4-7 Chi-sau This takes about a year of 6 hours a week to complete all the all the material with an apt pupil and an effective instructor.

In first tech you start out Biu-Tze chi-sau, learning easier and quicker methods to strike. You develop more flow, and your body really gets into the WT groove.

2nd Tech you finish learning your BT chi-sau, and Start on the dummy. You also have the option to learn Long pole, and Chi-gerk

3rd Tech you learn More dummy and Dummy Chi-sau.

4th Tech you finish the dummy chi-sau (and long pole).

5-6 PT (Practition Grade, or Master)

You learn Bart-cham-dao (The butterfly knives) and get into even more theories.

You learn Chi-gerk (sticky leg) throughout the entire training, but in the LT method, it used to be only 4th TG and above only learned chi-gerk.

Now I didn't formally learn the dummy or dummy chi-sau. I was shown by my Dai-Si-Hing. So Sorry for the short explanation after the 2nd TG level. Because honestly, I'm not that far along, probably will never be, as I have no interest in the weapons.

The Dummy also can be learned throughout time of the whole system, depending on your lineage.

But when your at the Dummy level, you learn how to think about WT in a different way; You learn to re-analyze the way you fight, the way you view fights.

All in all there are many in's and out's to the WT/WC method. I can only speak for the lineages I have been around. Which is mainly LT, some VT and some Chan Yu Min ( Chan Wah Shun's son's lineage). They are all have their differences and yet they all have great sides to them, and they all have some stuff that isn't so great.

All in all I prefer the LT version, because it seems to me to be the most comprehensive and fits my style of fighting the best. And point blank it just seems better to me.

I hope ya'll have had some questions answered. If you have any questions feel free to post on them here or mail me on here.

All the best,

Jeff

Latest Discussions