10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

Joe Slice

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi-

I am really interested in getting into mixed martial arts. Right now I am researching martial arts facilities in my area and trying to find the right one to join. I am a 23-year-old male with no experience in mma. I'm hoping this forum will answer a lot of the questions I have ....

Here is the first one:

What is 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu? There is a dojo that teaches it here and I was wondering if anyone could me some advice or info on 10th Planet. Would this be a good program to join?

Thanks,

Joe

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a off shoot of Brazilian JJ created by Eddie Bravo. The main difference is lack of gi, and emphasis on aspects that Eddie is known for (Rubber guard, half guard, twister) and that they renamed a lot of things with "odd" names.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's an increase in MMA gyms focusing on no-gi/submission wrestling. 10th Planet Jits is pretty cool, and I've used some of their stuff in my own game. But it's not the end-all-be-all by any means... Even in the no-gi world. To me, that particular game can be a little predictable with beginners and requires a LOT of flexibility and dexterity. 10th PJJ, IMO, is wonderful when coupled with a solid fundamental base of ground fighting.

Additionally, as an aspiring MMA practitioner (looking for gyms, right?) look closely at a gym's standup clinch and takedown game as well. Many of the 10th PJJ folks I've seen in competition don't really focus on that range, which is huge in deciding a fight.

So look beyond the brand and more into training concepts and teaching style, in terms of what works for you and your training goals.

As much as I might suggest not to learn 10th PJJ off the bat, it is a good idea to learn it, along with a number of styles in the submission grappling world.

Sub Grappling/BJJ competitions are way more accessible than your average local MMA fight, so be on the lookout for those and even drop by and watch. There's bound to be reps from all of your local gyms, and you can definitely talk to members about possibly training, while seeing them perform.

Have a great journey!

BTW, where are you from?

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
10th planet is very cool, especially if you're more into MMA as it's more focused on that.
BJJ, Judo and/or Greco Roman wrestling are all great starting points.

I'll tell you this, you can learn striking with less time than you need to develop a strong grappling base.

Don't misconstrue what I just said. Both take alot of work, it's just better if you develop your grappling base before your striking base, I think going into 10th planet is a good idea, couple it with either some Judo or some Muay Thai to start or take it alone if you want.

Either way I would definitely check it out.

OP
J

Joe Slice

White Belt
Reaction score
And, do you have any experience in anything? You stated no MMA experience, but anyhting else?

I am from Omaha, NE. The only experience I have is 5 years of amateur boxing.

I have another question.... What can you guys tell me about Jeet Kune Do??
This is also offered in my area.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am from Omaha, NE. The only experience I have is 5 years of amateur boxing.
I have another question.... What can you guys tell me about Jeet Kune Do??
5 yrs of boxing is a good start. If you're serious about becoming a full blown MMA'ist (as opposed to being a hobbyist) I would consider splitting up your training between your stand up & ground game. Go to a Muay Thai gym for your stand up/striking & a BJJ school (10th PJJ works too) for your ground game. Just my .02 cents worth on that.
When it comes to a JKD school, it depends on the lineage, which is easy to check, and should go back to one of 3 men - Dan Inosanto, Taky Kimura or Jesse Glover.

Franco

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Joe, I'm from Omaha (Bellevue actually) and just sent you a detailed PM. Contact me I'm always looking for someone to (at least) talk MA and have a beer with. Maybe even try to choke each other LOL.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Joe, the boxing base will be great for your stand-up. If I'd started with that, I'd look to add in wrestling (greco and hs/collegiate), as well as BJJ. Honestly I wouldn't _start_ with 10th Planet as it seems to assume you already have a decent BJJ base (at least from what I've seen it practiced). At least anything identifiable as '10th Planet' isn't something you'd see in BJJ basics.

You'll find the stand-up bubble a bit larger with kicking, usually add a foot or so. But the addition of take-downs and leg kicks also makes the approach slightly different.

I'd find a place that offered MMA, or go train each aspect individually (or both). The way I found my gym was to go to the local cage fights and see what teams were there, then researched the teams and where they were out of. Generally got an idea of the type of guys on the team as well, wasn't looking for a Cobra Kai heh.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it comes to a JKD school, it depends on the lineage, which is easy to check, and should go back to one of 3 men - Dan Inosanto, Taky Kimura or Jesse Glover.

Franco

Are you assuming that because James Lee died, Oakland JKD does not exist? Jesse Glover will be the first to tell you he does not do Jeet Kune Do.

Latest Discussions