Your own school?

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
13 years is a very long time. What has been the best memory and the worst memory during these 13 years?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
wow! Great (and tough) question!
There have been lots of best times which include having brought GM Presas in for seminars and training with him afterward and lots of fun times spent with our staff and students which have become like a second family. Seeing motivated students gives me a real rush and motivates me all over again! Feeling like we make a difference in peoples lives is what makes it all worth it. I have seen some people make tremendous growth over the years in Karate and in their personal lives as a result of their training.
The worst times are things that every business experiences such as finding out someone that you trusted and perhaps even helped out has been untruthful with you about something or done something that will undermine your school.
Growing the school has been the biggest challenge in my martial arts career. We are successful due to having a great team of people with a common thread: they all like to help others.
Thanks for the great question!

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
As others have already said it's more than being a Black Belt, it's also being able to teach and run a business. I like to think that I have a 5th Dan in Taekwondo, a 1st Dan in teaching and a yellow belt in business.....I'm still learning on that one. Also understand that there is a difference in being a Chief Instructor and being an assistant.

L

loanbanker

I would have a problem opening a school. If I were to open a school with my teachers permission then maybe and maybe at best! However never without his consent. Just my 2 cents worth.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loanbanker said:
I would have a problem opening a school. If I were to open a school with my teachers permission then maybe and maybe at best! However never without his consent. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thats great that you have such loyalty! loyalty is becoming a less common thing in this day and age! :0)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I talked to my instructor before opening my own class - he sat me down, had a serious discussion about the responsibilities inherent in being the head instructor rather than an assistant, and then told me to go for it. I would never have started an independent class without his permission and support.... although this may have been more common 15 years ago when I did it.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey said:
I talked to my instructor before opening my own class - he sat me down, had a serious discussion about the responsibilities inherent in being the head instructor rather than an assistant, and then told me to go for it. I would never have started an independent class without his permission and support.... although this may have been more common 15 years ago when I did it.

Sounds like you have a good instructor (and he has a good student) ! Stick with him!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
. I like to think that I have a 5th Dan in Taekwondo, a 1st Dan in teaching and a yellow belt in business.....

It's funny that you put it that way because i say the same thing! I started with some customer service backround but hardly any business skills. I think many schools fail for lack of business skills rather than poor martial arts skills. Luckily I have some great help along the way. I still don't consider myself a blackbelt business person but luckily I have some friends/students who are! :0)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
If you had a chance to have your own school after you received your BB would you take the opportunity? If the school was already established and you as a new BB had the chance now to be the owner would you go for it? If you have been getting in the teaching hours and all already and now made the jump for assistant to now full time teacher and owner would you do it?

Yes to the first. No to the second(had the chance and turned it down). Have been considering the third closely, but I am a little scared for finances. I would love to quit my current job and go full-time, but insurance is very high and I don't want to become a McDojo owner.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
searcher said:
Yes to the first. No to the second(had the chance and turned it down). Have been considering the third closely, but I am a little scared for finances. I would love to quit my current job and go full-time, but insurance is very high and I don't want to become a McDojo owner.

Can you keep your job and start a small club and grow it from there? Many, like me, have another job that feeds our families with a steady paycheck, but we also run a school. My school is successful but keeping another steady job is a nice backup. Just food for thought!

Latest Discussions