Your own school?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you had a chance to have your own school after you received your BB would you take the opportunity? If the school was already established and you as a new BB had the chance now to be the owner would you go for it? If you have been getting in the teaching hours and all already and now made the jump for assistant to now full time teacher and owner would you do it?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
If you had a chance to have your own school after you received your BB would you take the opportunity? If the school was already established and you as a new BB had the chance now to be the owner would you go for it? If you have been getting in the teaching hours and all already and now made the jump for assistant to now full time teacher and owner would you do it?

Tough question, since many of us have full time jobs outside of the martial arts world.

I would have to look at several things:

1) This would require learning a lot more about the business aspect of running a dojo. This isn't easy, and requires a good bit of patience. It's not just about making wise decisions when it comes to the dojo, but rather, making the right decisions at the right time. Dealing with landlords, rent, utilities, business licenses, insurance, and promoting the dojo takes a lot of time. Then there are other items such as memberships fees, the IRS, etc.

2) One would have to give up a significant amount of his own training hours. While it's certainly true that you'll learn a lot by being an instructor, there are some things that can't be replaced, especially those learned by solid training.

3) Are the students loyal to the school and system, or are they loyal to the original owner / teacher? This can make a huge difference, since it's not unusual at all for many students to be particularly loyal to the chief instructor, and that a lot of them could easily leave once he's gone. If they're loyal to the system and school, then it's easier to hang onto them, but if they're loyal to the chief instructor, there would be a LOT less margin of error.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to have loyalties to a particular instructor, though.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I made that move 13 years ago!
It involves having many different skill sets in addition to being a good martial artist and you have to want it more than just about anything because there are many challenges and things to blindside you if you aren't careful! In fact, even when you are careful! :0)
Many disappontments, many rewards, quite an experience.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When having the oppotunity to have your own school comes, you must remember all aspect of running a school. Is the school generating enoughh capitol to pay all the bills. If not what must you come up with every month to sustain the overhead and can you afford it at this time. If all the answer are withen your gasp go for it, just remember all the hours that goes on behind the door.
Terry

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
There's no real need to wait, you can buy dojo franchises on the web.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like has been said above, its more than just being a good martial artist, or even a good instructor. You need to be able to balance the business aspects, too. Like resturants, most MA schools don't last more than a year. Its hard work juggling the rent, electric bills etc. & how much to charge, where & when to adverstise etc. Most instructors I know have full time jobs also.

Sorry if I'm Gold medalist in the Wet-Blanket Toss for ya.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
made that move a while ago. my thoughts in retrospect:

1. i love my job.

2. i don't love how much of my job (probably 70%) isn't teaching karate

3. i sometimes miss the stability of a regular paycheck

4. the money isn't great

5. being a small business owner is all-consuming

6. i love my job

7. it pushes my envelope more than anything i've ever done: i am constantly working at the ragged edge of my capabilities and being forced to learn at an insane rate in order to keep the ship flying.

8. read 'small business for dummies', 'the e myth', '2 minute management' and 'the 7 habits of highly effective people'

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If you really enjoy teaching....than go for it.

Keep in mind it will become a business and you will have to deal with collections and late/no payments. The Drop outs and no payments of equiptment order for those students

People will expect you to behave in a certain manner ( Role model)at all times.

Students will come and go, Only a handful will remain loyal, others will move on to other systems/schools, EXPECT THIS!

You will become a business person and teacher in ONE! Don't forget about getting INSURANCE for your school.

For myself I enjoy being assistant Instructor and do not wish to have my own school. I still can teach and train, But I love to share my knowledge with students in class.

DO IT! only if you wish to TEACH! You will find you will not be able to train in class unless your teacher teaches elsewhere on different days.

You must also be mature to handle the students and the Parents as well.

Are you a LEADER? ......and always want to teach? .....go for IT!..Aloha

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
If I understand you correctly, you are asking if I would open/own a school as a brand new BB/ 1st dan?

As much as the fantasy sounds great, IMHO, a 1st dan doesn't have the depth of knowledge or experience in most systems, other than maybe BJJ,
to give a quality education and justify charging enough for the school to profit. I guess it depends on who your students are, but when I look back at myself at the time I recieved my 1st dan, I guess I could have done a decent job teaching basics up to about the blue/brown belt level, but I think to represent yourself as able to give a quality/in depth martial education as a 1st dan is misleading. Just my opinion, FWIW....

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You all have put in some great comments and I truly appreciate it.

This is all hypothetical with so many things happening before it would even come close to a reality. It is something that has been discussed.

IF it was to happen, it would be after I got my BBand the ownership of the school would be handed to me.

Martial Tucker - You raised a very great point that I did consider and thank you for being honest. I am now an assistant instructor and I dont mind teaching. To me teaching is actually easier. I have just had the knack for it. As a jr in h.s. I was the 8th grade asst b-ball coach and as a senior in h.s. I was the asst. varsity track coach. But I do understand that some may not think I have the knowledge due to the fact that I would only be a 1st Dan.

Here is the situation.

My master might move back to his home state to purchase his old school from his master who may sell it. If he moves then he can either close the school he has here or he will give it to me for me to have as my own. I would be a BB at the time if it happens. I am the asst instructor now and I like teaching the kids and adult class. Given that I could have my own school and build on it as we are now it is something that I must say sounds interesting. I think I would have no problem retaining the students we already have. I will say though that a problem would be attracting new students b/c some people would feel that as a 1st Dan I wouldnt know much. I would beg to differ being that just being a 1st Dan doesnt mean I dont have the knowledge to teach anyone. effectively. There are some 5th Dans who are great at MA but are terrible as teachers while they may have an assistant instructor who is only a 1st or 2nd Dan but may be the best instructor there. It depends greatly on that person, their love for MA and how they effectively present information. Also how much time to they spend studying it as well.

Michael Jordan probably the best B-Ball player in NBA history but doesnt make him a good coach. (If U need another example look at Magic Johnson) Usually the better/best coaches are the one's that understand everything behind it and usually were not the best. Now not saying I suck but just a point to make when some say, "your only a 1st Dan you dont know enough to teach"

It wouldnt be my only job b/c I do have a full time job mon-fri as well.
Looking at what many of you guys said, the business aspect is the hard part and I would have to learn that from him as well as others who have their own.
Of course I wouldn't stop at my 1st Dan but would still continue to train on my own so that I can move up in belt levels.
To be 28 and have my own school and be my own business owner is a nice thought. :)
But I need to figure out pros and cons.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would love that chance.

I also think that the majority of people (MA's and general public) see higher belt ranking as being the better trained. Which, when we as MA's think about it, just isn't always the case. I know a BB who, as a 1st degree opened his own school and has been doing fine with it. He is always training and going to seminars, festivals, and MA gatherings to learn and refine his skills and knowledge of his art. He just (last month) decided that he really should test for his 2nd degree (got it no problem), after all it had been 6 1/2 years from his 1st degree. He is one who truely would rather train than test. Belt ranking means nothing to him as long as he is growing in the art. But, now that he is running his own school, he sees that the general perception is the higher the belt the "better instructor" you should be. His biggest lament is the fact that he truely got a kick out of going to all these places and giving 3rd, 4th, and some 5th degree BB's an eye opening experence on the mat from a "lowly 1st degree."

Personally, I would rather train with a 1st degree BB who was skilled, knowlegable and a great instructor; than with a 5th, 6th or higher that was skilled, & knowledgable, but just a so-so instructor.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bydand said:
Personally, I would rather train with a 1st degree BB who was skilled, knowlegable and a great instructor; than with a 5th, 6th or higher that was skilled, & knowledgable, but just a so-so instructor.

I agree entirely, that's it's important to focus on the quality of the material learned first.

However, there's going to be somewhat of a guarantee, that a higher ranked black belt is going to have more knowledge about the system (else he wouldn't have gotten that rank). After a certain point in time, there will be little more that you can learn from the Shodan, no matter how proficient of an instructor he may be.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you're prepared to:

- make a commitment to yourself to continue to improve your skill by furthering your own training consistently,
- make the commitment to your students to be available, and always put forth your very best effort for them,
- have a solid financial plan with an eye toward the financial risks and pitfalls that may occur,
- be reasonably certain about your ability to operate in perpetuity,
- keep the best interests of your students as your #1 priority at all times,

Then I say: why not?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also you may need to consider hooking up with another higher ranking BB. I don't know your system, but in ours only a master, 4th dan can promote. We are basically assistant instructors until 4th. I can see that you could stay a "system" unto yourself and promote up to your level, but there can be problems with this. Do you really know the material upside down and backwards? What will happen when a teen becomes black belt-is he equal in authority? What happens when another adult, older than you becomes black belt-is he equal or will he go get his own school? Then how will you, as a BB progress to 2nd dan? Personally, I would want to improve as a student as well and not just be an instructor. Who will teach you? Can you find another mentor within your city or travel to find one? TW

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Also you may need to consider hooking up with another higher ranking BB. I don't know your system, but in ours only a master, 4th dan can promote. We are basically assistant instructors until 4th. I can see that you could stay a "system" unto yourself and promote up to your level, but there can be problems with this. Do you really know the material upside down and backwards? What will happen when a teen becomes black belt-is he equal in authority? What happens when another adult, older than you becomes black belt-is he equal or will he go get his own school? Then how will you, as a BB progress to 2nd dan? Personally, I would want to improve as a student as well and not just be an instructor. Who will teach you? Can you find another mentor within your city or travel to find one? TW

Well said.... In my system a 5th is a "master" and only then can you really go off on your own and do your own thing. You can run a school after recieivng Shodan, but you always need to continue your own education under a Master or senior.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that evey teacher should have a teacher! I have been taking private lessons with various teachers for 20 years! As soon as you stop learning you move backward.
When owning a school you become extremely busy but it's important to still have a teacher(s) and make some training time for yourself.
Keeping it all in balance is always the challenge.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stickarts said:
I think that evey teacher should have a teacher! I have been taking private lessons with various teachers for 20 years! As soon as you stop learning you move backward.
When owning a school you become extremely busy but it's important to still have a teacher(s) and make some training time for yourself.
Keeping it all in balance is always the challenge.

Well said. Its not just a MA thing, either. No matter what you do you need to keep learning.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with any instructor having to continue training. I hope my last post didn't come across as saying otherwise. The instructor I was refering to has continued training all this time with his original teacher at least a couple times a week. That I think should be tantamount to being an instructor/owner, always learning yourself.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the continuation of learning. MA learning means practicing as well as reading and talking. This is why I see MA as a lifetime commitment and not something that is just 3-4 years, get your BB and then you are done.

Oh yea, my art is TKD
I take northern and southern shaolin kung fu as well.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The "new" learning can be a whole different technique, or even just a new way of looking at your "old" techniques!
After dabbling in Tai Chi for a bit, I was amazed to find connections in some of the kenpo I was already doing.
Although i enjoy practicing multiple styles, you can definately take one style and make it a lifetime study.
Back to the subject of trying your own school, it helps to have a mentor.
I got some good advice from good people before i opened up.
I have training mentors and business mentors.
I realize now how little i knew when i first started the school 13 years ago and i feel lucky to have survived :0)

Latest Discussions