training in life

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
quick question for y'all.

we know martial arts aren't just for the mats, and we know that unless you're a cop/bouncer/bodyguard you don't use the actual techniques for real more than once or twice in your life.

so how about some stories about when our training did us good in our regular, everyday life? funny, profound, embarassing, self-aggrandizing, whatever.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say training instilled enough confidence in me to do a better job of ignoring those that act out in a belittling way due to their own insecurities, jealously, etc....
I have found this useful in my career as well as my personal life. I can do a better job at just sticking to my own agenda and not worry about the times when some may behave in a less than empowering manner! :0)
Some say that after all of the training that you may never use it but I use lessons learned every day.
There are many other valuable skills learned but this is just one.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some benefits:

Cholesterol count dropped 100 points, and the HDL counts still stayed at the same nice, high level. Yes, believe it or not, I was almost at 300 before I came back to the martial arts.

Flexibility and muscle tone have come back, and the endurance is at an all-time peak.

I don't need as much sleep as I used to. During my 18 month leave of absence from the martial arts, I needed at least 8 hours of sleep a night, and also would sack in on weekends. Now, I only need 6 hours a night on a consistent basis (although I still do enjoy sacking in on Sunday mornings).

After coming back, I met some truly wonderful people in the dojo. These people have become trusted friends.

Those are but a few examples of the benefits that I've reaped by coming back. It was a terrible mistake to not train for that year and a half, and it took a good bit of time to get back into shape, and even more time to get the techniques cleaned up again. On the other hand, though, maybe the time off was good, that it taught me to appreciate the benefits that come from the training; something I had taken for granted previously.

CMS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Break-falls (Ukemi-waza) are probably the most useful techniques I've learned. We can avoid most dangerous situations and people, but gravity is always with us. Footwork also helps in avoiding fast opening doors and other collisions.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Although I may not have had to use techniques learned in class (thankfully), as I progress I seem to think of the tenets of TKD more and more. I try to incorporate courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self control and indomitable spirit into my everyday life. It really makes a difference in my attitude and outlook.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I got into some trouble a while back with a couple of lads that were desperate for a fight and instigated one with me without talking to me first by way of a headbutt. Then several of their friends jumped in and it was all a bit of a mess. Now I didn't lay them all out film style or anything, but i was aware of how it was a high tension situation while all the brawling was going on and while someone was trying to choke me etc, that staying relaxed was the best thing to do from my training.
Anyway after it all ended, some damage dished out from me and some from them, I was still able to walk and apart from a bit of bruising was not really injured which was a great result as far as I was concerned. This was a while ago and I have a lot more training under my belt now so hopefully if it happened nowadays I'd have even less bruises! Or maybe I'd be in the hospital. Who knows? But anyway thats my small example although i am hoping for some more film style dramatic stories from other people!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The martial arts do build confidense and teaches you awareness!
The more one trains the more you realize it is better to avoid all bad situtions. You learn you want to de-escalate anything that could get worse. Fighting is not a good thing to get into!

As you progress in your training? One will find help teaching classes is very rewarding and fun to do! Not only do we teach the martial arts but share advice and guidence to many of our students (many in High School).

Participation in other martial events bring you in contact with other Schools and Styles, making alot of new friendships. Sharing knowledge.

Martial arts is a good thing because it gives you a positive life of things. Anything that can make your life better and safer, equals a happer life. .....Aloha

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as the things we learn, self defense being the most obvious, I'd say you were right. Most will probably never use what they've learned. But couldn't one reason for that be because one of the things they've learned is how to identify and avoid a conflict in the first place?

The other maybe less known advantages we get from regular training are noticeable every day. Keeping physically fit is huge. Another is, in my case, more towards mental improvements. As most people, I always hated having to stand up and talk in front of people. Learning to control my mind through breathing and focus has not only helped my ability to do it, but actually learn to enjoy it. Another is my self consciousness. Being afraid to make a fool out of myself. I've had so many humbling experiences in the gym, it doesn't even phase me anymore. These are all things that I can attribute to MY training in life. It's all good. :)

OP
B

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
for me, one of the greatest benefits is social. as an owner of a 130+ student school, i am surrounded all day, every day by positive, motivated, caring people. i'm part of an incredible community that supports me while at the same time challenging me to grow.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
In life and at work dealing with troublemakers in a calm, professional manner. When, my first thought is to beat them into submission! That would be my greatest benefit.

DITTO!!!

Also when at home dealing with four VERY active and (thank God) healthy boys, having the ability to step back from the hub-bub and constant noise to an inner "quiet spot" to deal with them correctly, and not burst forth with something that is negitive. Those 2 or 3 seconds of: breath in, mental reminder of "He's 4, your 42 be a Dad, not a dictator", breath out, deal with situation like an adult. That is the greatest thing I have gained and used - that ability to step back from something mentally, and then remain calm. Just wish it was 100% and not the 95% it is now, but still working on it! Just reread this and should clarify the other 5% is NOT beat them into submission as stated above, but just raise the voice higher than needed.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I was going to saty that I would love to trade places with your situation, but, sadly, most of those "troublemakers" were like 4 year olds! Then again, as I'm writing this, That's disrespectful to your 4 year olds! They are probably way more mature!

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Martial Arts has made me learn to be alert of my surroundings, which has saved me from a few encounters when people try to jump you *then you run like hell* I have a habbit of ALWAYS using martial arts ...closing doors, opening doors with my feet, closing cabinets with my feet.

As for embarrassing....In the mall i tried to do a 360 round kick and hit the tag at the top of the shelf...missed the tag ...went through the shelf...cops..bad night lol.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts has made me realize most people are not as dangerous as they make themselves sound. Normally, those who speak like they are something, are nothing. Those who sit back and say nothing are the ones to watch out for.

Latest Discussions