You don't need to fight every jackass that touches you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more. I totally support the intial action of restraint and walking away but if the time for action arrives then it should be full force and no half measures. Underestimating an opponent can be a fatal mistake.

Hmm...well, given the fact that we live in a sue happy world, I figured that it'd be best to assess each situation and act accordingly. You are free to do as you choose, however, just understand that your actions may come back to haunt you.

Hell, myself, I've posted that if faced with a weapon, ie: a mugging, that I'd rather not cooperate and instead, fight back immediately. Some have said that they'd rather cooperate, and then if they felt the badguy wasn't going to leave, but instead use the weapon, try to take them to another location, THEN they'd fight back. I disagree with that. But again, that situation is very different from the one described here.

And before you or anyone else says it...no, I'm not saying the guy in this case didn't/wouldn't/couldn't have/use a weapon. I'm saying in the situation presented here, to chase the guy down, and bust him up, IMO, isnt warranted, but again, to each their own.

Once again, I've said numerous times, to assess each situation and act accordingly. Would I bust the guy up? Sure, if, after I told the guy to **** off and leave me alone, he takes a swing at me, but again, we, as martial artists, should be able to control what we do, again, for each situation. If someone can't do that, then they've missed out on quite a bit in their training.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more. I totally support the intial action of restraint and walking away but if the time for action arrives then it should be full force and no half measures. Underestimating an opponent can be a fatal mistake.

full force and no half measures? Do you mean you would advocate killing the guy?

jedtx88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If he can move 15 feet in the time it takes you to turn around your probably not going to when that fight no matter how drunk or mentally inept he was... I'd say you made the right decision. Did his name happen to be Wally West by any chance?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Re-stomp the groin, then drive over him with your car as you leave.

[video=youtube_share;Sr0-ogsa4z4]http://youtu.be/Sr0-ogsa4z4[/video]

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If he can move 15 feet in the time it takes you to turn around your probably not going to when that fight no matter how drunk or mentally inept he was... I'd say you made the right decision. Did his name happen to be Wally West by any chance?

...I didn't turn around immediately. He made my knee buckle on the kick, remember? I had to regain my balance first. It takes about a second to move 15 feet. It took me about two to get my bearings. The guy wasn't superhuman, he just caught me entirely by surprise. This might be a revelation for you but you get pretty used to drunken transients walking around near you in Seattle.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would add 'let the police know this goofball is out there and what he's up to.' He might keep at it and hurt someone.

I agree with Bill. We teach our students to follow through with their physical techniques. We need to teach them to follow through with their mental techniques as well. Call the police and get him removed from the streets and hopefully get him some help. At the very least you have got him documented so if he escalates the violence the courts already have a pattern established and can make sure society is better served.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You'd need to do a full exorcism then, but I could see it being done on the fly. After you kill him and set him on fire...

I was once in a prison...... (pause)...... on a tour that went with a college class I was in... not as an inmate.... where the guy they had in solitary basically did that.... and he saw the demons leave with the smoke... or at least that is what he told the judge.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was once in a prison...... (pause)...... on a tour that went with a college class I was in... not as an inmate.... where the guy they had in solitary basically did that.... and he saw the demons leave with the smoke... or at least that is what he told the judge.

I KNEW it!!

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, it's been over a decade since my last physical confrontation of any kind (not counting mortars and small arms fire). Is it normal afterword to just feel... I don't know... off? I don't really have a word for what I'm feeling right now.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
depends on the attacker. in your example, no. If he had been say with in 5 ft. oh ya, you better stop that attacker. But it is a judgment call of the treat and level of threat if one exists.

jedtx88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was just busting your chops bro. I don't get to make Flash jokes very often. On that note. Sweet mother of mercy there are drunken vagrants outside of Texas!

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. I think later I would have no problem with my chops busted. This wasn't exactly a pleasant experience for me, though. Give me a week, then bust my chops all ya want.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
depends on the attacker. in your example, no. If he had been say with in 5 ft. oh ya, you better stop that attacker. But it is a judgment call of the treat and level of threat if one exists.

No, it isn't normal to have odd, undefined feelings about the encounter? Or are you saying no to something else?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that people in general are uncomfortable with confrontation. Our society overall tends to encourage an avoidance of confrontation and creates a reality where it is not often necessary, so many of us never get very comfortable with it. The more intense the confrontation, the more it can get under our skin and mess with our heads.

Yes, I think it is normal.

Latest Discussions