Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How to train biting?

I trade bites with sharks...

IMG_2696.JPG

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for would it work for real...who knows every fights different. You can bite someone and they'll be in extreme pain or you can bite someone and they won't even flinch it all depends

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Would biting work?

I'm not sure what you're asking. I definitely see several times where the guy on the bottom could have bitten the other fellow pretty severely, but it appears that he had a different game plan. The guy on top didn't seem to have a lot of good opportunities for that sort of thing and didn't seem to be trying to make them. Top guy didn't really seem to have much of a game plan that I could see.

Now I'm speculating here, but if you've got some larger point, like trying to debunk the idea that biting isn't a thing to worry about if you're a great grappler or some such, I've only got a couple of things to say. 1) We don't see enough of how things started for me to offer MUCH commentary. 2) If Top Guy was the instigator here he's pretty dumb or was pretty drunk. Even if he wasn't the instigator, I'd question his state of mind. Oh, and I guess 3) I have to agree with @geezer above - that's a really strange fight.

D

Deleted member 39746

There is no science to biting, its just what and whenever. however, take into account blood borne diseases and you are tearing segments of skin off with your mouth also creating open wounds while in close proximity which increases chance of blood getting on you.

I am personally inclined to go with i wouldn't/its highly situational to do it. I personally find the concept of swallowing a strangers blood and getting their flesh stuck in my teeth etc disgusting.

Now a good eye gouge or tearing of the testicles...

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're asking. I definitely see several times where the guy on the bottom could have bitten the other fellow pretty severely, but it appears that he had a different game plan.

The moment you start biting:
1. your head is committed & stationary
2. you upped the game of violence
3. it can work and the guy lets go or he claws your eyeball out, then the other eyeball
4. the human bite is not that powerful, like in zombie movies

The guy on top didn't seem to have a lot of good opportunities for that sort of thing and didn't seem to be trying to make them. Top guy didn't really seem to have much of a game plan that I could see.

Seems like he did have opportunities to bite the arm and such.

Now I'm speculating here, but if you've got some larger point, like trying to debunk the idea that biting isn't a thing to worry about if you're a great grappler or some such, I've only got a couple of things to say.

I'd be more worried about getting my arm popped like this or getting KTFO, much more so than getting bitten. Much, much more. I've never been bitten in a fight, but have been bitten by 3 different German Shepherds and twice, they were deep bites. The first 2 times was when I was a child and it was terrifying. But the 3rd time was as an adult and I put it into a headlock and started punching the **** out of it in the nose and it let go. I doubt that humans can bite anywhere near that powerful. Again, say goodbye to 1 or 2 eyeballs. I'd think the biter would open their mouth to scream or get me to stop.

1) We don't see enough of how things started for me to offer MUCH commentary.
2) If Top Guy was the instigator here he's pretty dumb or was pretty drunk. Even if he wasn't the instigator, I'd question his state of mind. Oh, and I guess 3) I have to agree with @geezer above - that's a really strange fight.

Doesn't really matter. The Top Guy could have been the violent criminal, rapist, whatever.....he's trained and "POP"....game over or the beginning of a homicide if he wanted to kill that guy, who's now helpless due to the excruciating pain. 1-3 head stomps to the head in 3-4 seconds should do it.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah? You get someone to bite your arm or leg and tell me if it hurts...hell it hurts like crazy just biting your tongue or if a baby bites your finger

Well no **** it's not pleasant.....but if you stop fighting because of being bitten, then you're just weaksauce....and there's no guarantee that they'd stop biting. This is what separates people who fights and those who don't. I'm still going to **** them up much worse while they're biting me, like scoop out their eyeball, then the other one. Or I can just keep punching them in the face.

Tell that to evander Holyfield and his ear

Tell him what? You see him quitting? He was more pissed than anything and he was bitten twice and a chunk came off and on the canvas. Just like I told you, it doesn't hurt that much due to adrenaline. I've had 3 different German Shepherds (240 pound force) bite me, and their biting power is way more powerful than a human (120-150 pound force). The 3rd time was as an adult and it didn't hurt that much as I put it in a headlock and started punching it in the snout and it let go.

And no ****ing way am I tougher than Evander Holyfield.

This guy got half of his ear bitten off and spat onto the sidewalk....he didn't even show any signs of pain and was going to **** up the fatboy who bit him.

Last edited:
OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As for would it work for real...who knows every fights different. You can bite someone and they'll be in extreme pain or you can bite someone and they won't even flinch it all depends

Since this is a Martial Artist forum, then this question pertains to MA'ists....of whom many, never fought or sparred for full KO's before, so they've never really experienced such pain for the pleasure of a sport/hobby before. Which is why, many seem to place so much stock into the effectiveness of biting.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
The moment you start biting:
1. your head is committed & stationary
2. you upped the game of violence
3. it can work and the guy lets go or he claws your eyeball out, then the other eyeball
4. the human bite is not that powerful, like in zombie movies

Seems like he did have opportunities to bite the arm and such.

I'd be more worried about getting my arm popped like this or getting KTFO, much more so than getting bitten. Much, much more. I've never been bitten in a fight, but have been bitten by 3 different German Shepherds and twice, they were deep bites. The first 2 times was when I was a child and it was terrifying. But the 3rd time was as an adult and I put it into a headlock and started punching the **** out of it in the nose and it let go. I doubt that humans can bite anywhere near that powerful. Again, say goodbye to 1 or 2 eyeballs. I'd think the biter would open their mouth to scream or get me to stop.

Doesn't really matter. The Top Guy could have been the violent criminal, rapist, whatever.....he's trained and "POP"....game over or the beginning of a homicide if he wanted to kill that guy, who's now helpless due to the excruciating pain. 1-3 head stomps to the head in 3-4 seconds should do it.
So, there is a certain set of MMA proponents who all seem to assume that if biting or groin shots or whatever comes up that it must mean everyone who expresses any concern about these things must think they are "teh deadly". There also seems to be a lot of overlap between this set and the set of people who seem to view street fights as some sort of contest to be won. I have no particular interest in biting anyone though I might do it if I felt desperate, nor do I think it's some sort of guaranteed fight ender, I'd just rather not get bitten. I also have no interest in ever being in another street fight, have my arm broken or get KTFO.

My impression, and I apologize if I'm wrong, is that you've got some chip on your shoulder to go around proving something about how what ever you think people ought to do (MMA?) is right and that everyone else is foolish. And hey, I think MMA training is very useful for self defense. I've done a little boxing, muay thai, and sambo, though not enough to be particularly good at any of them. I'd love to do more if I get a good opportunity. The thing is, the art isn't what I'm focused on in when it comes to self defense, not getting injured is my interest. Sure, I might "win" a fight even if I get my ear bitten off, but that's a pretty poor outcome in my book.

If you really want my analysis of this fight, this is what I have to say:

For the sake of clarity I'm going to say arm popper (the guy who applies the arm pop) and arm poppee (guy who's arm gets popped) as opposed to top and bottom because there appears to be some confusion about which was which in my earlier response.

The video here seems like a very strange fight. Commenting on it from my interest in self defense is tough only seeing it once these guys are on the ground. How did it start? How did they end up on the ground? Why does it look like they're doing a low intensity class exercise pretty much right up until arm poppee gets his arm wrecked? Why does no one intervene until after the arm pop? Why does anyone intervene at that point? From a self defense perspective and really from my perspective about martial arts, these are the important questions, not whether one guy could have bitten the other and whether it would have changed anything. From what little I can see of the start of this it doesn't look like a situation I'd ever find myself in.

From what we can see, this fight looks like it was semi-consensual in that neither of them seems to be trying to really get away. If the arm poppee was the guy who started this, or consented to it by not disengaging (running away, de-escalating, what ever) then he was dumb or drunk as he doesn't seem committed to doing serious injury and isn't skilled enough to control the fight nor even skilled enough that he should think that he might be able to do so. This might make sense if arm poppee was drunk and started a scrap over something dumb without any intention of doing serious harm and completely mis-read the stakes. If this is the case, then biting wouldn't fit his agenda. If he really wanted to seriously injure the arm popper then I'm very confused because it never looks like he's really trying to do so. He strikes me as a guy who thinks he's engaged in a school yard tussle (which I've seen on the street, but still don't understand).

If arm popper was the instigator and he took the other guy to the ground without giving him any opportunity to avoid the attack, while I still don't understand the "we're both on 'ludes" intensity, then he seems to have just followed his game plan, controlled the situation and then really injured mr. arm poppee. He had no need to resort to desperate and risky tactics like biting as he was the superior fighter. If arm poppee had been in a position to bite him and had done so it might or might not have changed the outcome for mr. poppee, but mr. popper might or might not have lost a chunk of something he cared about.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ps. It appears the OP has been banned, just in case anyone was wondering if waiting for responses etc..

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gotcha on the OP being banned but we're still here so....

First off, gotta agree with the poster that said how weird that whole deal was.

It is also a good display of real fight jiu jitsu for the haters (not here, just in general).

I'm not a fan of Bas Rutten but he does make an interesting point, when asked about biting to escape a hold. He says - do not raise the level of violence in an encounter you are already losing. While I do NOT really agree with this, I think it warrants pondering and I see the logic.

I saw an awesome opportunity to take a bite of a calf, in the vid. Would it have helped, who knows.

Google "Felony Fights face bite". If you can find it, there's a good example of biting ending a fight and, if you're not familiar with "Felony Fights" there are absolutely NO rules.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Bas Rutten but he does make an interesting point, when asked about biting to escape a hold. He says - do not raise the level of violence in an encounter you are already losing. While I do NOT really agree with this, I think it warrants pondering and I see the logic.

MMmmmm.... maybe.... I can see the point, but I'm not sure I agree with it.
If you're talking about a sporting event, then this is certainly true.
But if I am really fighting, then I'm not likely to believe that tapping out or saying "Uncle" is going to do me any good. In that situation, it's far more likely that I will raise the level of violence to include biting, breaking things, or shooting my assailant.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But if I am really fighting, then I'm not likely to believe that tapping out or saying "Uncle" is going to do me any good. In that situation, it's far more likely that I will raise the level of violence to include biting, breaking things, or shooting my assailant.

True enough. If someone is trying to break your arm or choke you in a confrontation, they're going to break your arm or choke you to (possible) death. You need to get out of that position by any means necessary.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
True enough. If someone is trying to break your arm or choke you in a confrontation, they're going to break your arm or choke you to (possible) death. You need to get out of that position by any means necessary.

Note that I'm not saying I would necessarily go straight to shooting someone, just that no option is ever off the table, if I think that is what is needed to make sure that I am not the one injured. Minimum necessary force, certainly.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score

Yea, ya see what I mean - I get where he is coming from, I understand the logic, I just ain't on board.

I guess it could mean the different between getting yer butt kicked and killed. For example someone was just kicking and punching me, until I spear handed him in the eye, then he taps into his "reserves" and cripples me for life. Especially if it is someone you know, used to be friends with, wtvr. So.... yea while I get the idea it kinda seems like it is based on "They're only gonna hurt me THIS bad as long as I don't make them really mad" The self control of my attacker is NOT something my defensive strategy should be relying on (just my opinion)

Years ago, a big no necker grabbed a friend of mine in a choke (at a party). My friend reached up with one hand, took the cigarette he (my friend) was smoking and stuck it in the guy's forearm. It worked, he let go pretty quick :D I am a big fan of "dirty" force multipliers.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My impression, and I apologize if I'm wrong, is that you've got some chip on your shoulder to go around proving something about how what ever you think people ought to do (MMA?) is right and that everyone else is foolish.

This is basically how Bruce Lee felt and I'm doing what he told me.

And hey, I think MMA training is very useful for self defense. I've done a little boxing, muay thai, and sambo, though not enough to be particularly good at any of them. I'd love to do more if I get a good opportunity. The thing is, the art isn't what I'm focused on in when it comes to self defense, not getting injured is my interest. Sure, I might "win" a fight even if I get my ear bitten off, but that's a pretty poor outcome in my book.

If someone got to your ear to chomp on it, then that just tells me that you're not very good at fighting and it's not MMA's fault.

If you really want my analysis of this fight, this is what I have to say:

Not really, but ok.

For the sake of clarity I'm going to say arm popper (the guy who applies the arm pop) and arm poppee (guy who's arm gets popped) as opposed to top and bottom because there appears to be some confusion about which was which in my earlier response.

The video here seems like a very strange fight. Commenting on it from my interest in self defense is tough only seeing it once these guys are on the ground. How did it start? How did they end up on the ground? Why does it look like they're doing a low intensity class exercise pretty much right up until arm poppee gets his arm wrecked?

Because in real life, not all fights happens the way some guy wearing military fatigues, with a pot belly and combat boots (on the mats even) teaches, right out of a Steven Seagal flick. How did it start and how did it end up like this and then, "POP"? I dunno, I wasn't there in some bad area of a bar in Brazil.

Why does no one intervene until after the arm pop? Why does anyone intervene at that point? From a self defense perspective and really from my perspective about martial arts, these are the important questions, not whether one guy could have bitten the other and whether it would have changed anything. From what little I can see of the start of this it doesn't look like a situation I'd ever find myself in.

Everything about self defense should be about you and your environment only, right?

From what we can see, this fight looks like it was semi-consensual in that neither of them seems to be trying to really get away. If the arm poppee was the guy who started this, or consented to it by not disengaging (running away, de-escalating, what ever) then he was dumb or drunk as he doesn't seem committed to doing serious injury and isn't skilled enough to control the fight nor even skilled enough that he should think that he might be able to do so. This might make sense if arm poppee was drunk and started a scrap over something dumb without any intention of doing serious harm and completely mis-read the stakes. If this is the case, then biting wouldn't fit his agenda. If he really wanted to seriously injure the arm popper then I'm very confused because it never looks like he's really trying to do so. He strikes me as a guy who thinks he's engaged in a school yard tussle (which I've seen on the street, but still don't understand).

You just don't know what it feels like when someone with average BJJ skills puts you in a pretzel like this and leading to the pop.

If arm popper was the instigator and he took the other guy to the ground without giving him any opportunity to avoid the attack, while I still don't understand the "we're both on 'ludes" intensity, then he seems to have just followed his game plan, controlled the situation and then really injured mr. arm poppee. He had no need to resort to desperate and risky tactics like biting as he was the superior fighter. If arm poppee had been in a position to bite him and had done so it might or might not have changed the outcome for mr. poppee, but mr. popper might or might not have lost a chunk of something he cared about.

Here's a major clue when it comes to doing things such as biting or eye gouging when fighting in the 'hood....in general, you bite = you will get ****ed up even worse, much worse. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy did try to bite, that's why...."POP".....because it did seem unnecessary and excessive, even for Brazil.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah? You get someone to bite your arm or leg and tell me if it hurts...hell it hurts like crazy just biting your tongue or if a baby bites your finger

Tell that to evander Holyfield and his ear

I've been bitten by German Sheppherds and it didn't hurt that much. I already told you, adrenaline takes care of most of the pain. It was more shocking than anything, but I'm used to violence and punched the hell out of that dog and it let go. It wasn't a trained police dog or anything, because that would've been different and I would've been ****ed up if it was.

But if you're trying to compare biting in a fight vs. that of accidentally biting your tongue, then you don't know **** about fighting and how adrenaline works. You even further proved my point by bringing up Holyfield. Did he quit fighting? Did he drop to the ground and die after losing a piece of his ear? They kept fighting after the 1st bite. The 2nd time, with a piece of his ear on the ground, he was jumping around mad as hell and wanted to kill Tyson.

I even showed you a video of some random kid on the street getting half of his ear bitten off and spit to the ground by a fatty.....and he didn't even flinch and chased the fatty down to **** him up but got tased by Cops. Notice biting didn't do **** and fatboy was on his way to KO city if the cops didn't show up.

Latest Discussions