Would biting work here?

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gotcha on the OP being banned but we're still here so....

First off, gotta agree with the poster that said how weird that whole deal was.

It is also a good display of real fight jiu jitsu for the haters (not here, just in general).

I'm not a fan of Bas Rutten but he does make an interesting point, when asked about biting to escape a hold. He says - do not raise the level of violence in an encounter you are already losing. While I do NOT really agree with this, I think it warrants pondering and I see the logic.

I saw an awesome opportunity to take a bite of a calf, in the vid. Would it have helped, who knows.

Biting the calf would've unlikely help. It probably would've pissed that guy off more. I think that he did try to bite....that's why he got his arm POPPED.

Google "Felony Fights face bite". If you can find it, there's a good example of biting ending a fight and, if you're not familiar with "Felony Fights" there are absolutely NO rules.

Incorrect, I know the exact video..... Karate Kid vs. Skinhead. I think I even linked it on this thread. They started fighting with sticks. The Skinhead was already winning the standup, took the kid's weapon and then they clinched.....Skinhead dominated on the ground in side control....but chose to bite, seemingly for fun + effects. The Karate Kid = fine afterward, the skin wasn't even punctured. He just quit because of shock, and you know...Karate.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MMmmmm.... maybe.... I can see the point, but I'm not sure I agree with it.
If you're talking about a sporting event, then this is certainly true.
But if I am really fighting, then I'm not likely to believe that tapping out or saying "Uncle" is going to do me any good. In that situation, it's far more likely that I will raise the level of violence to include biting, breaking things, or shooting my assailant.

Tapping or "saying Uncle" in a street fight when losing, or losing badly.....has a high chance of ending the fight.

1. Most Self Defense only type schools, tries to sell movie type situations to sell more memberships. Many of these instructors don't even fight and maybe had a few street scuffles that they often embellish.

2. Most real fights in the streets aren't fights to the death. Many street fights are actually, like sporting events. The bystander(s) become the Referee. Many times, bystanders will stop the fight once they see that someone is done. Many other times, the one winning will stop on their own. Usually, a KO, ends the fight. Rarely does anyone keep going to kill the other guy. But you could get jumped if you're winning, or whatever....so of course, you should always be aware.

3. My proof = 2,983 real street fight videos totaling 47.9 gigs on my hard drive, categorized. Obviously not conclusive, but way, way better than some guy wearing military fatigues teaching a seminar about how effective biting is. Anybody can lie about their street fighting experiences, while videos don't lie.

Real Fight Collection 2018-Oct.jpeg

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
True enough. If someone is trying to break your arm or choke you in a confrontation, they're going to break your arm or choke you to (possible) death. You need to get out of that position by any means necessary.

If I were the one losing here....like about to get my arm broken or getting the crap beaten out of me standing up....I would tap or ask to quit. If they don't, then I would bite and/or try to eye gouge, nut squeeze, etc. But not before trying the giving up route first.

I believe that I'd get ****ed up way worse if I started with the dirty techniques.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Note that I'm not saying I would necessarily go straight to shooting someone, just that no option is ever off the table, if I think that is what is needed to make sure that I am not the one injured. Minimum necessary force, certainly.

Isn't this what gangbangers do nowadays, resort to shooting instead of duking it out? When I was a kid in North Philly, we had guns but most of the time, we chose to fight with our fists.

BigMotor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If I think that someone is about to break my arm, then the fight will become serious for both parties, not just the one. That is a 2 way street, and it is grossly foolish to start down that street, if you are not very serious.
Because the fight may take up at another time, with no warning, and I mean a bushwhack: since the injured party is sure to take a broken arm very poorly indeed: but, I don't think people have enough sense anymore, to consider the consequences.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, the one person I've ever had show me how to use biting in a fight was a well-regarded BJJ instructor. (Hint - it's an adjunct to grappling technique, not a substitute for it.)

Speaking as a BJJ instructor myself, I would avoid biting under most circumstances. Among other concerns would be legal and health risks. That said, I can imagine situations where biting could be effective and necessary. You just have to know how and when and where. Biting your way out of an armbar? Not the right time or place. If someone knows what they're doing with the armbar, biting is not an effective counter. If they don't know what they're doing, then there are safer, more reliable counters.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Biting the calf would've unlikely help. It probably would've pissed that guy off more. I think that he did try to bite....that's why he got his arm POPPED.

Incorrect, I know the exact video..... Karate Kid vs. Skinhead. I think I even linked it on this thread. They started fighting with sticks. The Skinhead was already winning the standup, took the kid's weapon and then they clinched.....Skinhead dominated on the ground in side control....but chose to bite, seemingly for fun + effects. The Karate Kid = fine afterward, the skin wasn't even punctured. He just quit because of shock, and you know...Karate.

"Incorrect"? How so? I said a good example of biting ending a fight.... It did. Just watched it again. The bitee was screaming "stop" while panicking. His adrenaline didn't seem to help. If you are specifically looking for an example where the person LOSING stops the fight with a bite, I'll see if I can find it - it is in a compilation of BJJ disqualifications. The guy getting bit did not get mad and finish the break, he jumped up howling. Not saying it always works, but Hollyfield didn't go beast on Tyson, after being bit. Sometimes, YES, biting the crap out of someone seems to make them forget what they're doing.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tapping or "saying Uncle" in a street fight when losing, or losing badly.....has a high chance of ending the fight.

1. Most Self Defense only type schools, tries to sell movie type situations to sell more memberships. Many of these instructors don't even fight and maybe had a few street scuffles that they often embellish.

2. Most real fights in the streets aren't fights to the death. Many street fights are actually, like sporting events. The bystander(s) become the Referee. Many times, bystanders will stop the fight once they see that someone is done. Many other times, the one winning will stop on their own. Usually, a KO, ends the fight. Rarely does anyone keep going to kill the other guy. But you could get jumped if you're winning, or whatever....so of course, you should always be aware.

3. My proof = 2,983 real street fight videos totaling 47.9 gigs on my hard drive, categorized. Obviously not conclusive, but way, way better than some guy wearing military fatigues teaching a seminar about how effective biting is. Anybody can lie about their street fighting experiences, while videos don't lie.

View attachment 21792
Wow you have 2000 street fight videos on your computer....you need a life buddy

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't this what gangbangers do nowadays, resort to shooting instead of duking it out? When I was a kid in North Philly, we had guns but most of the time, we chose to fight with our fists.

Not really. Speaking only from my own experience of some 30+ years in the ED, a very large majority of fights are still unarmed.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I were the one losing here....like about to get my arm broken or getting the crap beaten out of me standing up....I would tap or ask to quit. If they don't, then I would bite and/or try to eye gouge, nut squeeze, etc. But not before trying the giving up route first.

I believe that I'd get ****ed up way worse if I started with the dirty techniques.

Typically I go for chokes over breaks. Putting someone to sleep is a bit more humane and gentle than breaking their limbs. You'd have to thoroughly piss me off for me to start snapping your arms and legs.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I think that someone is about to break my arm, then the fight will become serious for both parties, not just the one. That is a 2 way street, and it is grossly foolish to start down that street, if you are not very serious.
Because the fight may take up at another time, with no warning, and I mean a bushwhack: since the injured party is sure to take a broken arm very poorly indeed: but, I don't think people have enough sense anymore, to consider the consequences.

See that's the thing though....when an arm lock is locked in and being cranked.....it goes from uncomfy to a slight sharp pain in 1 second or less....this is when most people will tap....1 more second and it should pop.

In a dark alley somewhere w/no witnesses nor cameras, then you're probably ****ed should they break your arm. This is not as bad as getting KO'ed, but it's pretty damn bad trying to fight with 1 arm while in pain. The other guy can kill you much easier now if he wanted to...ie. soccer kick & stomp your head in while you're lying there in pain....so hopefully you do carry a gun and can weather through the pain to draw and shoot....and lets hope he's not armed himself, and with 2 good arms.

Last edited:
OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Incorrect"? How so? I said a good example of biting ending a fight.... It did. Just watched it again. The bitee was screaming "stop" while panicking. His adrenaline didn't seem to help.

Incorrect. The Karate Kid was already done when he got taken down and side mounted. You just don't know what this means. The guy bit him for fun, prob. b/c he was a crazy ****. He didn't even bite that hard b/c he didn't break the skin. It was all for show and you fell for it.

If you are specifically looking for an example where the person LOSING stops the fight with a bite, I'll see if I can find it - it is in a compilation of BJJ disqualifications. The guy getting bit did not get mad and finish the break, he jumped up howling.

Then you are very inexperienced then. I've seen those BJJ DQ's. No **** that during a competition that the other guy would complain if there was biting. It's a ****ing competition, not a street fight. I guess you don't compete to know why you should always complain when rules are broken, especially when some **** bites.

Not saying it always works,

And I never said it never works neither.

but Hollyfield didn't go beast on Tyson, after being bit. Sometimes, YES, biting the crap out of someone seems to make them forget what they're doing.

You just don't understand competition and the $$$ at stake.

Last edited:
OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow you have 2000 street fight videos on your computer....you need a life buddy

Says you who has over 3000 posts in 2 years compared to my 1000 posts in 8 years. And you train anti-rape techniques.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wtf is wrong with you

This from someone who said:

"Wow you have 2000 street fight videos on your computer....you need a life buddy"

Sounds like you're overly sensitive and can't take what you dish out. Which further explains, Krav Maga.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
This from someone who said:

"Wow you have 2000 street fight videos on your computer....you need a life buddy"

Sounds like you're overly sensitive and can't take what you dish out. Which further explains, Krav Maga.
Bye bye I won't miss you

Latest Discussions