woke up OW my neck

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I woke up at 3:30am my neck HURTS and I can hardly turn my head.
Took some ibuprofen, hasn't helped. Took hot shower and let the water beat on my neck, didn't help.
Any ideas?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever it is, I bet you'll end up blaming Obama for it....

Most likely? You slept on it wrong. Anti-inflammatories, heat, massage, stretching, maybe some muscle relaxers, and time.
Tons of other possibilities. Have any injuries? Problems in the past? Fever? Headache? Blurred vision? Does the pain feel sharp/crampy/burning/like an alien parasite?
Seriously, if you think it's anything other than a 'crick' from sleeping on it wrong, go get it checked.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I occasionally get this, Don. I call it Robo-Cop-Neck because I can't turn my head so have turn from the hips to look at something :lol:.

For me it wears off in a few days but it is very painful so I dose it with painkiller so I can work.

As an idea, sometimes things like this can have a cause that is not the actual site of the symptom e.g. it could be because you have actually cricked your back and that's pressing on a nerve that manifests in your neck muscles..

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I woke up at 3:30am my neck HURTS and I can hardly turn my head.
Took some ibuprofen, hasn't helped. Took hot shower and let the water beat on my neck, didn't help.
Any ideas?

No doctor here, but, at my age I have had it ALL.
Stay within your range of motion and without a lot of pain move up/down and side/side. If not better within a few days, chiropractor next. Hope it all works out for you.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most likely? You slept on it wrong.

Now im curious - What constitutes sleeping on it wrong? I mean, i can imagine if you slept on your back and your head rolled off to a slant, or if you slept on your chest, but what other ways can you mess up?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now im curious - What constitutes sleeping on it wrong? I mean, i can imagine if you slept on your back and your head rolled off to a slant, or if you slept on your chest, but what other ways can you mess up?

I don't know but, it hurts like a *****

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stress and tension can give neck aches I've found. I've heard it mentioned a few times that the neck is a common place for it to build up knots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stress and tension can give neck aches I've found. I've heard it mentioned a few times that the neck is a common place for it to build up knots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I have no stress in my life

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know but, it hurts like a *****

Any pain radiating down your arms or legs? It is possible to rupture a disc in your neck. If you have symptoms like radiating pain, numbness, tingling or electric shocks get it checked before you let a chiropractor manipulate it.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any pain radiating down your arms or legs? It is possible to rupture a disc in your neck. If you have symptoms like radiating pain, numbness, tingling or electric shocks get it checked before you let a chiropractor manipulate it.

Nope. Just my neck. As long as I sit with perfect posture and don't try to turn my head it only hurts a little. One move and it is excruciating.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ouch!! If you have any of the menthol-based rubs like BioFreeze or Tiger Balm, they may help.

If misery loves company, I woke up at 330 AM with a migraine. Sucks. Hang in there :(

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye I use Tiger Balm too when the Robo-Cop-Neck strikes. I don't think it helps recovery particularly but it helps with the pain a little ... and it smells great. Indeed an added bonus is that the cinnamon aroma is well liked by the fairer sex so you can save money on deodorant and aftershave and get some sympathetic attention at the same time :lol:.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Aye I use Tiger Balm too when the Robo-Cop-Neck strikes. I don't think it helps recovery particularly but it helps with the pain a little ... and it smells great. Indeed an added bonus is that the cinnamon aroma is well liked by the fairer sex so you can save money on deodorant and aftershave and get some sympathetic attention at the same time :lol:.
There is also something to be said for a good therapeutic massage.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat at the moment. Took a forearm to the neck last Wednesday so at least I know what caused it. I don't like anti-inflamatories as I had a nasty reaction in the past. I'm using a heat pack often during the day and gradually increasing the range of movement. As DennisB said, it could be pressure on a nerve. That is the probable cause IMHO so manipulation would be my first option. See if you can find someone who works as a masseuse with a local sports club. It is a common enough problem with contact sports.

(BTW, for those that say there are no strikes in Aikido ... you are so wrong!)

:asian:

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is also something to be said for a good therapeutic massage.

yep - and by someone with solid anatomy knowledge, lots of experience, NOT A WOO-WOO crystal-gazing, healing touch
wanna-be. Someone who knows the words "trigger points" and what they respond too - hint, they might know who Dr. Janet Travel is. And someone who is happy to send you to a good MD if you've blown a disc. Layers of muscle/tendons on top of muscles/tendons in the neck-back-shoulder make deep-tissue work a challenge. My b spouse has 35+ years experience,
sees the same problem every week. Cold packs and gentle, assisted streching fully w/in ROM.
hope you are OK Dennis

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
yep - and by someone with solid anatomy knowledge, lots of experience, NOT A WOO-WOO crystal-gazing, healing touch
wanna-be. Someone who knows the words "trigger points" and what they respond too - hint, they might know who Dr. Janet Travel is. And someone who is happy to send you to a good MD if you've blown a disc. Layers of muscle/tendons on top of muscles/tendons in the neck-back-shoulder make deep-tissue work a challenge. My b spouse has 35+ years experience,
sees the same problem every week. Cold packs and gentle, assisted streching fully w/in ROM.
hope you are OK Dennis

I'm fine thanks.:) Big Don is the patient in question. But I can sure relate. I've had 2 cervical spine fusions for 3 ruptured discs. Towards the end of my career I was beginning to resemble the ophthalmologist on a stick.

Latest Discussions