woke up OW my neck

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ouch! My friend I cannot imagine how that must feel :sympathy:.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ouch! My friend I cannot imagine how that must feel :sympathy:.

Not to worry. It felt a heck of a lot better after the fusions than it did before. They use a bone graft and a small compression plate screwed into the vertebral body that really locks things down. I asked about issues such as working out and my neurosurgeon told me that there were professional football (American) players who had gone back to playing after such surgery. I replied that I had never been very good at football, but if he thought it was important, I would see what I could do about trying out for one of the teams.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
(BTW, for those that say there are no strikes in Aikido ... you are so wrong!) :asian:
I thought they were called oops. :)

Hey Don, I hope all the info is helping, sometimes rest and time work wonders...............

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to worry. It felt a heck of a lot better after the fusions than it did before. They use a bone graft and a small compression plate screwed into the vertebral body that really locks things down. I asked about issues such as working out and my neurosurgeon told me that there were professional football (American) players who had gone back to playing after such surgery. I replied that I had never been very good at football, but if he thought it was important, I would see what I could do about trying out for one of the teams.

I have an adult student who just had this surgery in September. He just returned to training February 1. He has a grip strength issue from his injury but it is mild. We have just begun to start his break fall training again.

The source of his injury? He slept on it wrong.

Big Don ... all disagreements you and I have ever had aside ... please go see a neurosurgeon for at least an evaluation. Pronto.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still stiff but, not as painful, I would have said I was feeling better, but, Shesulsa's post scared me

Don, I'm sorry. I do not wish to scare you. But he is the second person I've known to have this surgery as a result of waking up from a poorly-positioned rest period.

I'm sure it's likely there is more than one causation all adding up to an ultimate event.

Check your pillow and sleeping posture and do get evaluated. You need to know anything that goes wrong with your neck.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to imagine that that's pretty rare for someone with normal muscle condition etc.

Yes, I think the logical notion would be a chronic posture issue (especially the sleeping position) and/or a series of smaller and cumulative events.

Latest Discussions