wing chun vs Karake

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that WC guy goes around and fights trained people to show how good WC is. I'd like to see him go against a Bjj blackbelt, just to see how he would utilize WC to respond to a dominant grapple and ground game.

A striking focused art isn't gonna do well on the ground? Aren't you insightful!

Next thing you know, my hammer won't be able to screw a nut onto a bolt!

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A striking focused art isn't gonna do well on the ground? Aren't you insightful!

Next thing you know, my hammer won't be able to screw a nut onto a bolt!

Where did I say that WC wouldn't do well?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, that WC guy goes around and fights trained people to show how good WC is. I'd like to see him go against a Bjj blackbelt, just to see how he would utilize WC to respond to a dominant grapple and ground game.

I have no clue who these guys are, but the WC guy puts on a faily good show against a "karate guy" who just fights like a brawler. Neither have devloped ground skills, so even though the WC guy maintained dominance, it would be a fair guess to say that neither could hold up on the ground against a Judoka , BJJ guy or other solid grappler. So what of it?

Best to take this just as light entertainment. Two amateur strikers challenging each other. No big message. I'd give them both kudos for the willingness to scrap, though.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too bad neither knew what to do once their little duel hit the pavement. If either one had some Bjj training, or training in some other grappling art, they would have wrapped that up pretty quickly. Unfortunately, we ended up with that mess while standing up, and a mess on the ground.
True.
And if both had equal training in Bjj or some other grappling art they may have stayed wrapped up for quite some time. Means nothing. Have witnessed worse performances in the many mma venues I've been to. Both on the striking side and the ground side.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where did I say that WC wouldn't do well?
Let's look at this again. What Marnetmar wrote:
"A striking focused art isn't gonna do well on the ground? Aren't you insightful!
Next thing you know, my hammer won't be able to screw a nut onto a bolt!"

I don't see WC in here at all. I would have further defined with; "an art focused only on striking isn't going to well on the ground." I believe Marnetmar was being a bit facetious with the question though. No worse than some of the things others, myself as well, have done.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to be clear, It was my opinion that the Karate "fighter" was pathetic.Others might disagree, Ilike the gentleman that disliked my comment. And that's ok. We all have our own idea of what good fighting is, and mine is obviously different from his.

I'm not saying the Karate guy wasn't pathetic! I'm just saying that begs the question of why they put him out there to be videotaped. If he was the best they had to offer........

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not saying the Karate guy wasn't pathetic! I'm just saying that begs the question of why they put him out there to be videotaped. If he was the best they had to offer........

Because their school was pathetic?

Of course its all relative. Maybe the WC guy is just so good that he makes the Karate guy look worse than what he is?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They actually have a whole series of videos from the event showing different matchups between students from the two schools. (I'm assuming it was just one WC school and one karate school, not a general WC vs karate gathering.) In some of the matches the karate guy does better than in this one.

I'm still puzzled by the one match where the WC practitioner left his glasses on while sparring. o_O

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
They actually have a whole series of videos from the event showing different matchups between students from the two schools. (I'm assuming it was just one WC school and one karate school, not a general WC vs karate gathering.) In some of the matches the karate guy does better than in this one.
Thanks Tony, I was going to post along the same lines.
Again it all goes to the context of what the videos are about. In the video above I don't believe it was a this is our best against their best. It was several one on one participants doing some heavy sparring. The karate individuals performed better in some and the wc individuals in others. Don't read more into it than that. No different than having a open sparring session or a smoker event at your school/gym and videoing it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

well he could just do a mma comp and get exactly that.

he has some go in him though. Probably do all right.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm still puzzled by the one match where the WC practitioner left his glasses on while sparring. o_O
upload_2014-12-8_12-3-46.jpeg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no clue who these guys are, but the WC guy puts on a faily good show against a "karate guy" who just fights like a brawler. Neither have devloped ground skills, so even though the WC guy maintained dominance, it would be a fair guess to say that neither could hold up on the ground against a Judoka , BJJ guy or other solid grappler. So what of it?

Best to take this just as light entertainment. Two amateur strikers challenging each other. No big message. I'd give them both kudos for the willingness to scrap, though.

isn't it izzo who says he wouldn't be taken down in the first place. Because the anti grapple.

so it should still be a real match.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Tony, I was going to post along the same lines.
Again it all goes to the context of what the videos are about. In the video above I don't believe it was a this is our best against their best. It was several one on one participants doing some heavy sparring. The karate individuals performed better in some and the wc individuals in others. Don't read more into it than that. No different than having a open sparring session or a smoker event at your school/gym and videoing it.

Good point! I didn't realize that. I had seen several videos that was the same Wing Chun guy sparring a couple of Karate guys and a Muay Thai fighter. The assumption was that this Wing Chun guy was going around "trying out" some of the other local schools.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
isn't it izzo who says he wouldn't be taken down in the first place. Because the anti grapple.

so it should still be a real match.

The term anti-grapple annoys me. Defending against a takedown doesn't make it not grappling.

Just my two cents though.

kynir

White Belt
Reaction score
No art is better then the other, it all depends on the person and there knowledge,power,heart,spirit,and experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kynir

White Belt
Reaction score
Not sure what point you're trying to make. Obviously neither of them knew what to do once they hit the floor.

Really? What makes you so sure? Or is that your guess every human being is the same?
Or do you want to test you theory I wouldn't know what to do if you grapple me? Enlighten me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No art is better then the other, it all depends on the person and there knowledge,power,heart,spirit,and experience

While no art is better than another, different arts are better at certain things than other arts and vice versa.

Latest Discussions