Hello!

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello as I've recently begun training wing chun and will probably be pestering you guys for advice from this point on.
My background is mainly judo and freestyle wrestling (the latter of which I still do) but have always been interested in WC and started studying under Shaun Rawcliffe about 5 weeks ago.
So far I'm finding it very interesting. Even the basics (I've only covered the stance, straight punching, turning and footwork thus far) are very challenging to pick up but I'm in no rush and my instructors are very helpful.
Thanks for reading and any tips will be gratefully accepted.
Reeksta

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! that's a serious instructor you have! :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should find wc is an excellent compliment to your judo and wrestling. Stay relaxed, learn to feel the movements and positions. Understand and control the line, intercept and exploit the opponent's movement. Have fun.

OP
Reeksta

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Staying relaxed is one of the hardest things so far. I find it particularly difficult to keep my shoulder relaxed whilst punching but my fellow students assure me that it will come with time

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Staying relaxed is one of the hardest things so far. I find it particularly difficult to keep my shoulder relaxed whilst punching but my fellow students assure me that it will come with time
with practice it will get easier :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Wing chun has always fascinated me but I have never been near an instructor You are lucky to be able to study it

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Wing chun has always fascinated me but I have never been near an instructor You are lucky to be able to study it

If you really want to give it a try you could look up Scott Tarbell in Amesbury. Sure its like an hour and a half drive, but you could train pivately a couple of times a month, or else get a few guys together and see if he would travel to train your group. Check below:

National Ving Tsun Organization

I googled Athol to Amesbury and found out it's about 82 miles. Where I live, that's the distance across town. And this ain't even Texas! Here's the map:
Athol to Amesbury - Google Search

Last edited:
OP
Reeksta

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Still hurts my legs a lot but I can hold it longer now than when I started. I used to think I had pretty strong legs from the wrestling (plus I cycle I lot) but having to keep that position is a whole different kind of endurance

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello as I've recently begun training wing chun and will probably be pestering you guys for advice from this point on.
My background is mainly judo and freestyle wrestling (the latter of which I still do) but have always been interested in WC and started studying under Shaun Rawcliffe about 5 weeks ago.
So far I'm finding it very interesting. Even the basics (I've only covered the stance, straight punching, turning and footwork thus far) are very challenging to pick up but I'm in no rush and my instructors are very helpful.
Thanks for reading and any tips will be gratefully accepted.
Reeksta
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good wishes for your wing chun development.