wing chun vs Karake

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really? What makes you so sure? Or is that your guess every human being is the same?
Or do you want to test you theory I wouldn't know what to do if you grapple me? Enlighten me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well welcome to MT. Are you always so abrasive? In my opinion both fighters demonstrated little skill on their feet and even less when they hit the deck. I have no idea what you are talking about when you are writing about all human beings being the same and perhaps you could enlighten me as to what you mean by testing a theory.

kynir

White Belt
Reaction score
While no art is better than another, different arts are better at certain things than other arts and vice versa.
Very true so never stop expanding your knowledge nor your art

kynir

White Belt
Reaction score
Well welcome to MT. Are you always so abrasive? In my opinion both fighters demonstrated little skill on their feet and even less when they hit the deck. I have no idea what you are talking about when you are writing about all human beings being the same and perhaps you could enlighten me as to what you mean by testing a theory.
Thanks for the welcoming and no I'm actually quite humble and friendly and when I say human beings it's only meant for the category of the karate and wing chun man, excuse my miss interpretation, idk much about karate but my wing chun is different just like everyone's else's wing chun.I wouldn't brag but nor would I lie and say I'm not good I wouldn't recommend attacking my legs unless you wanted a broken back and rib cage or a broken nose but wrestling is also a fun exercise. Also by testing a theory I would love the chance for a friendly spar, but your quite far I'm guessing and not to say the least "talk is cheap"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine though for the purposes of the video that 'opponents' would be carefully chosen either for their abilities or lack of them! There's always a reason people want to post up videos, in this case I imagine to extol the virtue of one style over another so certainly you wouldn't want a very good opponent to beat your chosen 'fighter' would you?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcoming and no I'm actually quite humble and friendly and when I say human beings it's only meant for the category of the karate and wing chun man, excuse my miss interpretation, idk much about karate but my wing chun is different just like everyone's else's wing chun.I wouldn't brag but nor would I lie and say I'm not good I wouldn't recommend attacking my legs unless you wanted a broken back and rib cage or a broken nose but wrestling is also a fun exercise. Also by testing a theory I would love the chance for a friendly spar, but your quite far I'm guessing and not to say the least "talk is cheap"

Cool! I suppose you could say I don't know a lot about WC. I'm not a fan of that type of sparring at any time. If I had to judge I would say the WC guy maintained his structure better than karate guy. I had an ex chunner as a student last year and I found his 'forward pressure' interesting. He had problems because as karateka we prefer to be off the centreline. But the truth is that neither system is designed for that type of fighting and neither system is designed to fight another trained person. I still maintain that when they hit the ground neither inspired me with their skill.

As to having a friendly wrestle, sure. Recently we had a barbecue for martial artists. I ended up on the lounge room floor with a bb karate mate who has been training BJJ for the past three years. I'm happy to have a friendly roll with anyone and I have no ego to defend on the ground. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't want to remain on the ground but I'm more than happy to play on the ground to work on escapes especially with people with expertise on the ground.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really? What makes you so sure? Or is that your guess every human being is the same?

Not to butt in on Kman's behalf, but he is correct here. Their ground fighting ability was hilariously bad. For example, there was a pretty clear mount and submission opportunities for the WC guy and he completely missed them. The Karate guy had to literally fight to regain standing position against a WC guy who was barely holding him down, and he also missed several submission and transition opportunities.

If you wish me to go more in depth, I'll be happy to.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not to butt in on Kman's behalf, but he is correct here. Their ground fighting ability was hilariously bad. For example, there was a pretty clear mount and submission opportunities for the WC guy and he completely missed them. The Karate guy had to literally fight to regain standing position against a WC guy who was barely holding him down, and he also missed several submission and transition opportunities.

If you wish me to go more in depth, I'll be happy to.
For goodness sake! What are you doing agreeing with me? You'll damage my reputation if you're not careful! <dummy spit>
:meh:

kynir

White Belt
Reaction score
Cool! I suppose you could say I don't know a lot about WC. I'm not a fan of that type of sparring at any time. If I had to judge I would say the WC guy maintained his structure better than karate guy. I had an ex chunner as a student last year and I found his 'forward pressure' interesting. He had problems because as karateka we prefer to be off the centreline. But the truth is that neither system is designed for that type of fighting and neither system is designed to fight another trained person. I still maintain that when they hit the ground neither inspired me with their skill.

As to having a friendly wrestle, sure. Recently we had a barbecue for martial artists. I ended up on the lounge room floor with a bb karate mate who has been training BJJ for the past three years. I'm happy to have a friendly roll with anyone and I have no ego to defend on the ground. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't want to remain on the ground but I'm more than happy to play on the ground to work on escapes especially with people with expertise on the ground.
Most interesting, thanks for enlightening me with that perspective, we'd make great mates and would have great matches

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
No art is better then the other, it all depends on the person and there knowledge,power,heart,spirit,and experience

Although your quote is somewhat true, what you say is commonly repeated as fact, at this point it's a cliche martial arts saying. There are strong individual and weak individuals (I'm talking in terms of skill/ability not specifically the ability to lift heavy things) in every system, so in that respect you are correct. But, you should look at a system in its entirety. In a sense of the average ability of students some arts are better equipped for a real fight than others. Look at TKD and boxing, both schools will have good and bad students but I'd bet money that the average student at the boxing school will be better equipped for a real fight than the average tKD student. If I were to recommend a style to a guy who wants to learn to fight I'd pick one where the average students have a good level of competence for fighting. All most people can expect it to at least be average at an art, aim high though. If most guys in a system can fight its a good one, if most guys in a system can't fight than I'd recommend something else. Keeping in mind that in some arts fighting ability is not the primary goal. My point,? It's the fighter not the art is true but is a tired cliche that's get repeated all to often with little thought put into what that really says.

A parallel example, "be like water" is s tired Bruce lee quote I've heard over and over. I've had stiff awkward guys tell me that quote like it was something profound. But they are just repeating what they hear in Martial arts popular culture without understanding or practicing what it really means.

While no art is better than another, different arts are better at certain things than other arts and vice versa.
^ my thoughts exactly.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
evasive footwork is a grappling term
However not exclusive to grappling. If a ground grappler were to attempt to takedown a boxer and the boxer were to use an evasive footwork action trained for evading another boxer simply getting out of range and preventing the takedown the boxer is now grappling? Having a hard time accepting your premise It's as saying a TKD fighter throws a roundhouse kick contacting with the shin the fighter is doing muay thai.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In a sense of the average ability of students some arts are better equipped for a real fight than others. Look at TKD and boxing, both schools will have good and bad students but I'd bet money that the average student at the boxing school will be better equipped for a real fight than the average tKD student.
Why?
If I were to recommend a style to a guy who wants to learn to fight I'd pick one where the average students have a good level of competence for fighting. All most people can expect it to at least be average at an art, aim high though. If most guys in a system can fight its a good one, if most guys in a system can't fight than I'd recommend something else.
Judged how? Ive never seen a list of real self defense situations broken down by style
Keeping in mind that in some arts fighting ability is not the primary goal. My point,? It's the fighter not the art is true but is a tired cliche that's get repeated all to often with little thought put into what that really says.
So whats it really say?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Their ground fighting ability was hilariously bad. For example, there was a pretty clear mount and submission opportunities for the WC guy and he completely missed them. The Karate guy ...also missed several submission and transition opportunities.
I suppose you have a reasonable point if you are talking MMA, but if we are supposed to be looking at WC and Karate matchup --two arts that focus on stand-up striking-- your comments don't make a lot of sense. Neither art typically seeks submition opportunities. For that reason in bouts like this the participants should probably break withing a few seconds after going to the ground. That would avoid the unskilled scrambling.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose you have a reasonable point if you are talking MMA, but if we are supposed to be looking at WC and Karate matchup --two arts that focus on stand-up striking-- your comments don't make a lot of sense. Neither art typically seeks submition opportunities. For that reason in bouts like this the participants should probably break withing a few seconds after going to the ground. That would avoid the unskilled scrambling.

Just because those arts are limited doesn't mean that you as a practitioner should be limited. Clearly ground fighting is a useful skill to have, as evidenced by these two guys rolling around on the ground for more than half the fight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
However not exclusive to grappling. If a ground grappler were to attempt to takedown a boxer and the boxer were to use an evasive footwork action trained for evading another boxer simply getting out of range and preventing the takedown the boxer is now grappling? Having a hard time accepting your premise It's as saying a TKD fighter throws a roundhouse kick contacting with the shin the fighter is doing muay thai.

so i couldn't say he threw a Thai kick?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
so i couldn't say he threw a Thai kick?
Certainly you can say he threw a Thai kick however if it were a TKD roundhouse kick that contacted with the shin you would be incorrect in your statement. Just as your stating "evasive footwork is a grappling term" suggests that if a person used footwork to prevent a takedown it was grappling. Not all evasive footwork is grappling nor all roundhouse kicks that contact with the shin are thai kicks.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why?

Judged how? Ive never seen a list of real self defense situations broken down by style

So whats it really say?
Look at the basic striking ability of an average boxer compared to your local average local tkd guy. I think you'll find that generally the boxers are in better shape and more skilled at applying their art against a resisting opponent. I'm talking your average guy, there are outliers in tkd that will be able to defeat a boxer and vise versa but generally I don't believe this is the case.

Why? The boxers spend more time trainibg with resisting partners, conditioning and working skills that are necessary in a fight: stamina, head and body movement, reaction, the ability to take a hit. The tkd guys spend time on forms, one steps, board breaking, and other things that are less vital to producing a skilled fighter. Alive training with an unpredictable and resisting opponent is the key. It could be the same for any art. generally arts that train more alive be it a grappling or striking art produce better conditioned fighters on average. This is not to say the other arts like my tkd example don't, but I'm talking about your average school.

On average some systems are better. The individual is certainly a factor but the "individual not the style" cliche isn't so simple.

Last edited:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look at the basic striking ability of an average boxer compared to your local average local tkd guy. I think you'll find that generally the boxers are in better shape and more skilled at applying their art against a resisting opponent. I'm talking your average guy, there are outliers in tkd that will be able to defeat a boxer and vise versa but generally I don't believe this is the case.

Why? The boxers spend more time trainibg with resisting partners, conditioning and working skills that are necessary in a fight: stamina, head and body movement, reaction, the ability to take a hit. The tkd guys spend time on forms, one steps, board breaking, and other things that are less vital to producing a skilled fighter. Alive training with an unpredictable and resisting opponent is the key. It could be the same for any art. generally arts that train more alive be it a grappling or striking art produce better conditioned fighters on average. This is not to say the other arts like my tkd example don't, but I'm talking about your average school.

On average some systems are better. The individual is certainly a factor but the "individual not the style" cliche isn't so simple.
I disagree with all of this but we are moving too far away from the topic which is frowned upon in this establishment

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
So according to the thread title its a wing chun guy vs karake. I'll have to look up karake :)

Latest Discussions