Wing Chun Boxing

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
...just curious but...how do you know how much WC Drop Bear has seen in his life?

Very little. Did about a month but the school wasn't at a level that was testing my abilities.

My mum did it for longer. But then the school got a bit weird. So she left. But if this subject ever got of the completely irrelevant subject of linage and complete systems and back on to the subject of combining chun with boxing. I do train with some fairly handy guys in that department.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Very little. Did about a month but the school wasn't at a level that was testing my abilities.

My mum did it for longer. But then the school got a bit weird. So she left.

Yeah, no worries on my end.... just seemd like our karate jj fella was psychic.. :rolleyes:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, no worries on my end.... just seemd like our karate jj fella was psychic.. :rolleyes:

I think we need to take JJ with a grain of salt. Martial arts can mess with peoples heads some times.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Inward taan" is an oxymoron, because taan means to spread out, as in to expand.

That is the opposite of contract. You can't expand inward.

Whatever they are doing is not the taan concept. Probably caught up on handshape again.

I said nothing about "contracting". And I was taught Tan simply means "to spread" with no out or in implied. If your left hand is forward, it can "spread" as easily to the right as to the left. And CSL lineage also uses Tan to move back or "spread" as it receives. Pin Sun calls this a "Tun Sau". You truly have a very limited view of wing chun and still show that you think all wing chun should be the same as WSLVT! o_O

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I said nothing about "contracting". And I was taught Tan simply means "to spread" with no out or in implied. If your left hand is forward, it can "spread" as easily to the right as to the left. And CSL lineage also uses Tan to move back or "spread" as it receives. Pin Sun calls this a "Tun Sau". You truly have a very limited view of wing chun and still show that you think all wing chun should be the same as WSLVT! o_O

Your uppercut/bodyshot doesn't spread at all. And, I'm aware of tun-sau, but it and moving inward toward the centerline are not taan by the very definition of the word.

See link. English verb is "to spread out; to open". So, to expand from center, opening, not contract to center, closing.

摊的解释|摊的意思|汉典“摊”字的基本解释

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your uppercut/bodyshot doesn't spread at all. And, I'm aware of tun-sau, but it and moving inward toward the centerline are not taan by the very definition of the word.
You do realize that a plethora of different lineages also means a plethora of different techniques and interpretations right? You must have a ton of faith in this Wong Shun Leung guy, to believe he nailed it for all time, the perfect unassailable Wing Chun.

If that were true, and your vt were so much better than other lineages we should expect to see trained vt guys dominating both the fighting world and the SD market..or at the very least doing those things better than other WC lineages.

Yet we do not.

What do you think that means?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
You do realize that a plethora of different lineages also means a plethora of different techniques and interpretations right?

Yes, but if they're doing something else, they need a new word for it, because they have completely castrated its definition.

Yet we do not.

You should speak for yourself. Most of you have not even seen VT in person, much less faced it in competition or any other manner.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, but if they're doing something else, they need a new word for it, because they have completely castrated its definition.

You should speak for yourself. Most of you have not even seen VT in person, much less faced it in competition or any other manner.
And back to the lethal yet completely hidden(at least the lethal part) vt.

I can't even take you seriously anymore.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
And back to the lethal yet completely hidden(at least the lethal part) vt.

I can't even take you seriously anymore.

Not hidden at all. Doors are open around the world.

There's also an open-style tournament hosted annually by a VT school in Germany. Why don't you register for the next one?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not hidden at all. Doors are open around the world.

There's also an open-style tournament hosted annually by a VT school in Germany. Why don't you register for the next one?
The same could be said of many WC scools and lineages, as well as schools from a good deal of other styles too. That on it's face doesn't make any of those styles Uber lethal, or better than any of those other schools and styles doing the same.

Yet you continue to bluster as if everything that does not fall into the narrow confines of what you (allegedly) train is somehow incorrect by default, without any evidence to support that. It's frankly sort of pathetic.

Latest Discussions