Why some people still don't want to wear mask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
im just the wrong demographic to have anything more than a neglagable risk,
I don't even know what this means, without you defining the demographic that you think you fit in.

yes less of a risk than an astoriod strike, which it seems your not worried about at all
Why would I worry about an asteroid hitting the earth? Why would I worry about a super volcano in the US erupting.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
so what % of the world population has died, a million out of 7 billion, there oretty good odds to me
No, it's just about 850,000 out of 25.8 million. Not everyone's had it yet.

This is where that herd immunity argument starts to get scary. Let's say all 7.5 billion people on Earth gets it, and the actual death toll after everyone gets it is a very generous .25%. For the sake of argument, let's just assume that if you get it, you won't get it again. We're talking an additional 18 million people will die, not including the 800,000 or so people who have died so far. That's if we're talking a lower than current death rate.

Now, the USA accounts for about 25% of the cases worldwide. We also have, just in raw numbers, about 22% of the deaths. So, if we don't spread them out equally based strictly on population, but instead put those deaths where they are actually occurring using the raw data... it looks really bad in the USA and the UK (though worse in other countries). That's like an additional 3.6 million people just in the USA.

Quick math here... the UK accounts for about 5% of the worldwide deaths... if that rate stays consistent, you'd see an additional 900,000 deaths.

Hopefully I add the right number of zeroes... I am a product of Seattle public schools, so if my math isn't right let me know.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't even know what this means, without you defining the demographic that you think you fit in.

Why would I worry about an asteroid hitting the earth? Why would I worry about a super volcano in the US erupting.
because they will both happen, and one or both could happen very soon, and you and your loved ones will all die agonisibg deaths, but your worried about sonethibg you probebly wobnt catch and if you do you probebly wont notice you have

im not in any of the high risk of death demographics

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it's just about 850,000 out of 25.8 million. Not everyone's had it yet.

This is where that herd immunity argument starts to get scary. Let's say all 7.5 billion people on Earth gets it, and the actual death toll after everyone gets it is a very generous .25%. For the sake of argument, let's just assume that if you get it, you won't get it again. We're talking an additional 18 million people will die, not including the 800,000 or so people who have died so far. That's if we're talking a lower than current death rate.

Now, the USA accounts for about 25% of the cases worldwide. We also have, just in raw numbers, about 22% of the deaths. So, if we don't spread them out equally based strictly on population, but instead put those deaths where they are actually occurring using the raw data... it looks really bad in the USA and the UK (though worse in other countries). That's like an additional 3.6 million people just in the USA.

Quick math here... the UK accounts for about 5% of the worldwide deaths... if that rate stays consistent, you'd see an additional 900,000 deaths.

Hopefully I add the right number of zeroes... I am a product of Seattle public schools, so if my math isn't right let me know.
but there are mostly only high risk demographic dieing and when they run out of old and sick people the death rate will drop dramatically,

how many people become infected is completly coincidetal to the debate

the whole stratgy of the lock down was to slow the infection rate down so as not to over welm the hospitals, there was never any intent to stop infection as that is largy impossible, the same number will die, just over a longer time period

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
because they will both happen, and one or both could happen very soon, and you and your loved ones will all die agonisibg deaths, but your worried about sonethibg you probebly wobnt catch and if you do you probebly wont notice you have

im not in any of the high risk of death demographics
So the likely hood of me dying in a Super Volcano explosion and Astroid crashing into the earth is greater than me catching COVID-19.

Yeah starting to sound like the that Oily dragon

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So the likely hood of me dying in a Super Volcano explosion and Astroid crashing into the earth is greater than me catching COVID-19.

Yeah starting to sound like the that Oily dragon
il try again, the chances of ME dieing from a super volcano, is greater than me dieing of covid,, thats dieing not catching it

i kbow little about you to make the same prediction, but you look healthy ebough so possibly true for you as well

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
but there are mostly only high risk demographic dieing and when they run out of old and sick people the death rate will drop dramatically,

how many people become infected is completly coincidetal to the debate

the whole stratgy of the lock down was to slow the infection rate down so as not to over welm the hospitals, there was never any intent to stop infection as that is largy impossible, the same number will die, just over a longer time period
Soylent Green is people.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
il try again, the chances of ME dieing from a super volcano, is greater than me dieing of covid,, thats dieing not catching it

i kbow little about you to make the same prediction, but you look healthy ebough so possibly true for you as well
So how have you come to the informed conclusion that you're immune from dying of Covid?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but what level of risk is it? its a genuine question,

ive ignored the whole thing as much as possible, im not at all sure if ive had it or not, i felt a bit rough for a few days , but then sugestuon and paronia does that,

if pwople are being tokd masks reduce the risk, that meanibgless unless you kbow what the risk is to start off with, and how much they reduce it.

as ive said the uk advice/ law is a complete mess, no need for masks in crowded pubs, vut strictly nessercery in nearly empty super markets, it a joke

personally id sooner risk death than live in fear, of some remote possibility,

and masks allegedly, there to protect others and i really dont care if other gets it or not, they can stop in if they dont want to run the risk
If you don't understand the risk, it's because you're ignoring the medical and scientific professionals who are sharing it. The risk ranges from mild discomfort to death, with realistic chances of both for people of all ages and backgrounds. You wearing a mask protects others. Not doing so is just irresponsible.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but whats the ****""" risk,
its clearly not as dangerous an an asteriod strike, why arnt peopke worried avout that
Rating risk has to involve at least two factors: the potential bad outcome, and the likelihood of occurence. There's little likelihood an asteroid will strike in our lifetime. People are dying by the thousands from COVID today.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me there's nothing to fear if I have some accurate information about the situation. Once I have accurate information then I can prepare and plan. Once I have my plan then I just work the plan and stick to it.

I'm rarely around other people, I go out once a week or once every 2 weeks. I wear a mask when I go grocery shopping. I wore one when I went to the doctor and dentist recently. I could see they were taking it seriously at their place of business so that made me feel better. The stuff that I do to be careful isn't done out of fear, it's done with the understanding of how to reduce my risk of being infected.

I'll put it this way. I have more concern about things getting out of hand with the states here than about me getting sick. No matter how bad things get where I live, I'm still sticking to the same plan of action.
As someone else did in another thread recently, he's confusing fear with reasonable caution. I'm not afraid of cars, but I do take reasonable measures when driving them, because there's real risk that can be easily mitigated.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thst must have been complcated wearing a mask at the dentist???????

if you dont know what the risk of you gettibg very poorly from the virus is, how do you know that the risk of gettibg very poorly has been reduced, ?
it like wearibg garlic to protect you from vampires, not being biten by a vampire doesnt mean its worked
If you followed the very simple scientific explanations of how masks protect, you'd know you don't need to know the exact numbers around the risk. Masks work. Even bad masks work, though with much lower effectiveness. Really good masks work much better, and those who study these things know (and are telling us) which masks are better for what purposes. It's not a blind mystery. Most of the "conflicting information" people cite is either contextual or comparing early conclusions to what we know now.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you don't understand the risk, it's because you're ignoring the medical and scientific professionals who are sharing it. The risk ranges from mild discomfort to death, with realistic chances of both for people of all ages and backgrounds. You wearing a mask protects others. Not doing so is just irresponsible.
yout desribibg symtoms not the risk, of developing the symptoms

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you followed the very simple scientific explanations of how masks protect, you'd know you don't need to know the exact numbers around the risk. Masks work. Even bad masks work, though with much lower effectiveness. Really good masks work much better, and those who study these things know (and are telling us) which masks are better for what purposes. It's not a blind mystery. Most of the "conflicting information" people cite is either contextual or comparing early conclusions to what we know now.
id rather have the science than be fobbed of with simpkistic one size fits all " expkinations" and masks dont protect me, they alledgly protect others, people i dont know and probebly wouldnt like if i did, who have the iption to stay home if they dont like it

as i said mask wearibg in the uk is patchy at best, beibg totally ignored by circa 90% of people, so we are all in it together

Status
Not open for further replies.