Why Hwarang Do is not Hapkido

H

Hwarang

Why Hwarang Do is not Hapkido - aka a history of the modern Korean martial arts

This text is probably too long for most people to bother reading, but I have to take it step-by-step, otherwise the Korean MA history does not make sence. So here goes.

First of all there are a few ground rules we have to agree on:

1) GM Choi Yong Sul did not teach Hapkido, he taught "Yawara", sometimes called by the full name "Daetong Ryu Yusul" which is the Korean pronounciation of "Daito Ryu Aikijutsu". He did not use the name Hapkido until very, very late (~1968). His original students learned "Yawara" from him, not "Hapkido"

2) The original masters who trained under Choi Yong Sul trained privately (they did not know who else trained there), they came with different previous martial arts experience, and did not learn the same things from GM Choi. He did not have a formal school and he simply taught what he felt like.

3) This also means that "Hapkido" "back in the old days" was NOT one original style. People used the name for many different (also technically different) styles from the start.
Different lineages, different concepts, different arts - same name.

4) At first there were very, very few martial arts schools in Korea.
There were very, very few masters at first, it was not until the mid 60s that the number of masters, schools and styles suddenly increased. Therefore the original masters certainly knew each other and their background, whereas later masters might only know their own master(s).

This is basic stuff, without knowing this there is no way of understanding the history and development. If you disagree with any of the above you are certainly welcome to bring it up though.

Let's make a timeline, I suggest:
1. MA in Korea before Yawara influence
2. Yawara
3. The early styles
4. "Hapkido"
5. Unification attempts
6. Final breakup
7. Continious development

1.period: MA in Korea before the Yawara influence
What martial arts were in Korea after World War2?
During the Japanese occupation Kendo (Kumdo) and Judo (Yudo) were certainly taught in Korea. GM Choi Yong Sul trained Yawara (Yusul), or full name "Daito Ryu Aikijitsu" (Taedong Ryu Yusul) in Japan and brought it to Korea. Among the millions of Koreans who were in Japan others are likely to have trained martial art. Koreans serving in the Japanese army whould probably have trained JuJutsu(?) and we know many trained Karate.
Korean monks still today train martial arts, and are known throughout Korean history to have trained martial arts.
The Chinese minority in Korea are likely, as Chinese in other countries, to train martial arts. There is a large Korean minority in Manchuria, which also were occupied by the Japanese. So there were definitly martial arts in Korea.
The whole idea that Korea, as the only country in Asia, did not have any MA (Thailand, Laos, Malaysia, India, the Philipines, Japan, China etc certainly do) seems strange to me.

2.period: Yawara influence
Everybody agrees, according to ground rule #1, that GM Choi Yong Sul taught Yawara, not Hapkido. It seems that everyone with a background in Korean MA - who could afford it - went to Taegu and trained under him. Some trained for a long time, some for a short time but all the original masters were there.
My personal guess is that GM Choi became famous in Korea, and everyone who were already training some form of martial art wanted to see what he was doing. People who were interested in MA, but hadn't trained before also went, probably because they had heard about him.
This often happens in Korea - something gets popular and soon everybody does it, or would like to do it. It's a very homogenious country.
There were probably also others (very few) who taught other Japanese styles, but these were much less influencial, and are only interesting when documenting their lineages.

3.period: The early styles are taught
In the late 50ies and early 60ies the early masters started teaching (for instance GM Lee: Hwarang Do, GM Ji: Yusul, Suh Bok Sup: Yu Kwon Sul). Shortly after, people started using the Hapkido name. There are many stories about who started using the name, for now the interesting part is that 'Hapkido' was used *after* the other names were used.

4.Period: the "Hapkido" name is used
So as it often happens in Korea something spreads and very soon everybody does it. From ~1961 all Korean (non-"Taekwondo") martial arts used the Hapkido name to describe their styles. People were still doing their own thing as they had from the beginning (teaching their own styles), they just used the Hapkido name as a common identifier - ground rule #3 (maybe as in America "Karate" can mean any MA?).
Some people, like GM Joo Bang Lee, had extensive previous MA experience before training Yawara, other started with Yawara, but they all learned different things from GM Choi. They took their knowledge and taught their individual styles, Hanpul taught Hanpul, Hwarang Do taught Hwarang Do, Seong Mu Kwan taught Seong Mu Kwan. And they all also used the Hapkido name.

5.period: Unification attempts are made
As ground rule # 4 says - during the 60s the number of schools and masters drastically increased and some attempts to unify the schools were made. In 1965 'Taekwondo' was unified and recieved strong goverment backing, and after this several attempts to do the same with the many different styles using the 'Hapkido' name were made.
But where the different Karate styles were relatively easy to combine, this was not the case for 'Hapkido', which of course where very different styles from the start. And for this, and other, maninly political reasons, it was impossible to unify the 'Hapkido' styles.

6. Final breakup
In 1968 GM Joo Bang Lee had enough. He had been a founding member of the Kido Hwe, had been promoting both the HanKUK MuSOOL HyupHWE (Kuk Sool Hwe) and the big unification drive in 1967-68 and now he said stop. He dropped all ranks and started from the bottom, swearing never to use the Hapkido name. He built Hwarang Do in Korea from 1968 and when he left Korea for America in 1972 there were 68 Hwarang Do schools in Korea (16 in Seoul).
Many people in 'Hapkido' would certainly have prefered GM Lee to work for them, but after promoting and using the 'Hapkido' name together with the Hwarang Do name for 7-8 years (1961-1968) he has never since used the name, and he has never since promoted himself as a 'Hapkido' grandmaster. Eventhough he received the highest ranking in HKD by GM Choi.

7.period: Continious development
GM Lee has continued to develop Hwarang Do for 35 years and the various 'Hapkido' styles have developed in their separate directions.
Today there is not *a* style called Hapkido, there never were, and there never will be. The styles are just too different.

---

We can try another way - why do people say Hwarang Do is a Hapkido style?
a.k.a. I've heard that GM Joo Bang Lee taught Hapkido, is that true?

Answer: Yes, sure, absolutely true but! - and the but! is important.

GM Lee opened his first Hwarang Dojang in 1960, this was before anyone used the Hapkido name in Korea. If he was teaching before the Hapkido name was used, how can it be a Hapkido style?
From ~1961 to ~68, that is 7 years, GM Lee used the Hapkido name together with Hwarang Do. During the last 36 years he has not used the Hapkido name. Is it a Hapkido style then? Is Tugong Musool a Hapkido style?

Please understand that if GM Lee wanted he COULD promote himself as a senior Hapkido Grandmaster, together with GM Ji he WAS the higest ranking master at the time. But he does not. In 1968 he had enough of the politics and went his own way.
Eventhough he had been promoting the Hapkido name he dropped all ranks and started from the bottom with his own style. He swore not to take advantage of the Hapkido name and left it for the people who wanted to use it.
So to put it nicely, for people to call Hwarang Do a Hapkido style is to pi** both on his work and on his influence on the Korean martial arts.

Q and A:
Q. GM Joo Bang Lee trained under GM Choi?
A. GM Choi taught Yawara, not Hapkido

Q. Why do you keep it secret that GM Lee trained under GM Choi?
A. It was never a secret. Why would you keep it secret, and how could you? There are thousands of Koreans who knows GM Lee as one of the leaders of "Hapkido".
GM Lee left the name with the 'Hapkido' people in 1968 because he was tired of the politics, and he has *never* used 'Hapkido' to promote neither himself nor Hwarang Do. However, he has *always* said he had two teachers when you talked with him (the monk Suam Dosa and GM Choi (Yawara)). It is in writing in Dojang Magazine (1995) : http://www.hwarangdo.com/dojang1.htm, in the 2000 Black Belt articles and on hwarangdo.com

Q. OK, but why did GM Lee not write anywhere that he also learned Hapkido from GM Choi?
A. GM Choi did not teach Hapkido, and the 'Hapkido' people were promoting their various styles as an ancient Korean martial art.
Why should GM Lee destroy their stories by telling people about Yawara?

Q. My master says/I have heard/I have read that Master XYZ says he taught GM Joo Bang Lee
A. People promote themselves, things gets lost in translation, things are misunderstood. I will say this though: If your master claims that he taught GM Joo Bang Lee please do me a favor. Politely let him know that I am a student of GM Lee and I'll be happy to let GM Lee know that the person said he taught GM Lee. Please make sure the person understands that this is a public request.

Disclaimer: This was written in 4 hours, there might be errors - let me know.
Please see http://www.hwarangdo.com/hrd2.htm for details, there is a lot more information than you think.

Carsten Jorgensen
[email protected]

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sir, you wrote:

So as it often happens in Korea something spreads and very soon everybody does it. From ~1961 all Korean (non-"Taekwondo") martial arts used the Hapkido name to describe their styles. People were still doing their own thing as they had from the beginning (teaching their own styles), they just used the Hapkido name as a common identifier - ground rule #3 (maybe as in America "Karate" can mean any MA?).
Some people, like GM Joo Bang Lee, had extensive previous MA experience before training Yawara, other started with Yawara, but they all learned different things from GM Choi. They took their knowledge and taught their individual styles, Hanpul taught Hanpul, Hwarang Do taught Hwarang Do, Seong Mu Kwan taught Seong Mu Kwan. And they all also used the Hapkido name.

Not all Non taekwondo used the name hapkido. For one :
Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan, Under KwanJangNim Hwang Kee.

M.Tabone

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Carsten:

I must say that what you have written makes perfect sense to me and pretty much confirms everything that most people have been saying.

1.) GM Lee started out with connections with other Hapkido arts people and had a falling out.

2.) He went on to organize his own take on grappling material and eschews the use of the "hapkido" label.

3.) GM Lees' material is a mix of what he learned from Suahm Dosa and Choi the way that Ji's material is a mix of Taek kyon and Choi, the way Seos' is a mix of Praying Mantis and Choi and so forth.

4.) Me, personally, the use of the label "hapkido" does not necessarily bespeak a lineal relationship with Ji and everyone else. It is now a generic term that people use to identify a Korean grappling curriculum. Maybe GM Lee doesn't care for the label but I'm not surprised to see others use it to identify what he does whether he likes it or not. For myself I simply don't see any meaningful difference between the way that HwaRangDo folks do many techniques and the Kuk Sool Won people do the same techniques. The differences are a bit more distinct between HwaRangDo and Sin Moo or Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
D

dohap

old tapes from Korea show very clearly:
techniques of JBLee are a little bit different, more fluid, but it is still Hapkido. Other Masters move like "hard" sort of Hapkido. Only sword forms are more fluid, maybe they came from Suahm Dosa.
Carsten can say what he wants to, but empty hands are Hapkido.
Differences are coming from the man, not from the style. Please notice what I wrote in the beginning: JBLee's techniques vere different than other masters', so that's the reason.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think we should continue this string and wrestle this to its end. I am concerned that if we stop discussing this issue now we only do what has been done too many times in the past--- that is---- drag out all the pieces but never put them together.

If JB Lee represents some pre-Occupation tradition then I think that it needs to be documented what that tradition was, where it came from and how it got here. So far we have only Carstens' information telling us what it is "not". OK--- so lets tease out all of the HKD/Choi tradition and see what we have left. Where did that come from? What documents support these assertions? I don't think anyone is denying that the HwaRang existed. Where is the documentation that what is practiced today is what was practiced, say, 300 years ago? From what I can tell researching back and forth across these various arts, different people have mixed in traditions from various places. GM Ji stirred in material from his life experiences, and GM Lee stirred in material from his life experiences. GM Kim did the same and so forth. However, it seems that the greatest amount of physical training (the "stock" for the soup so to speak) appears to have come from GM Chois material. Now, to my way of thinking is various people want to profess various takes on GM CHois' material thats fine. The generic term for it has become "hapkido" for better or worse. Even hapkiyusool and hapkiyukwonsul people seem willing to endure this small misrepresentation. If Lee wants to call his form "HwaRang" he might consider calling it "HwaRang Hapkido". It would not make him beholding to anyone else and it would honor his teacher, Choi, where Suahm Doas apparently didn't care. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
D

dohap

This You'll never know:(
HRD is coming from 3 roots: Choi, some kind of kicking-punching and old weapons. Saying 3 roots I don't mean 3 teachers, rather 3 parts of it. I don't count all ki stuff, this for sure came from Suahm Dosa.
So: where kicks came from? where the weapons came from?
punches and blocks are common and at early stage looked like karate (early tkd).
Some sword stuff is just like kumdo, but JBLee says his father was kendoist. The rest of weapons looks like mix of Korean and Chinese. I heard a story they came from In Hyuk Suh, but who knows... maybe some of his students?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by dohap
techniques of JBLee are a little bit different, more fluid, but it is still Hapkido.

This is basically my belief--the core of HRD is HKD. Obviously, other stuff has been added.

OP
H

Hwarang

M.Tabone:
>> Not all Non taekwondo used the name hapkido. For one : Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan, Under KwanJangNim Hwang Kee <<

You are certainly right. I could have made it more clear by writing "the styles whose founders trained Karate" or something similar. If I have to write it again I'll make it more clear.

Bruce:
>> I must say that what you have written makes perfect sense to me and pretty much confirms everything that most people have been saying. <<

How is my text different from the articles in Black Belt Magazines and on hwarangdo.com ??? It it different from what I've posted to you over the last 5-6 years?

>> For myself I simply don't see any meaningful difference between the way that HwaRangDo folks do many techniques and the Kuk Sool Won people do the same techniques. The differences are a bit more distinct between HwaRangDo and Sin Moo or Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido. <<

Of course Sin Moo/Yon Mu are more different since it's a completely different lineage than Hwarang Do and Kuk Sool Won, so they don't have the same series of techniques from the Kuk Sool Hwe.
I don't know what you know about Hwarang Do, have you trained with any one in Hwarang Do/Kuk Sool Won?
I can only speak from actually training Hwarang Do and training with people in Kuk Sool Won and seeing a couple of GM Suh's videos, and I would say that the "similar" techniques are executed very differently. But you say you don't see any differences?

Dohap:
>> Carsten can say what he wants to, but empty hands are Hapkido. <<

Ehhh - is there anything in the history above you actually disagrees with? Or are you saying "it's Hapkido because Dohap says so"?

Bruce:
>> If Lee wants to call his form "HwaRang" he might consider calling it "HwaRang Hapkido". It would not make him beholding to anyone else and it would honor his teacher, Choi, where Suahm Doas apparently didn't care. FWIW.<<

GM Choi taught Yawara, how would GM Lee honor Choi by calling it Hapkido? GM Lee dropped all ranks in 1968 after a few years and has never since used the names to promote himself or Hwarang Do. Why should he call it Hapkido - to make you happy? Because more people today train various styles of 'Hapkido' than Hwarang?
BTW, GM Choi did not like the name Hapkido because it comes from Aikido. That's why he didn't use the name until late in the 60ies. How about you change the name of your school to Midwest Yawara to honor the roots of your art? Maybe all Hapkido styles should change the name to 'Hapkido Yawara' to honor the origin?

Oh - no, I know. "Karate" is a generic term for MA in America, how about you call your style "Midwest Karate", then everybody knows what style we're talking about!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by mtabone
Sir, you wrote:

Not all Non taekwondo used the name hapkido. For one :
Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan, Under KwanJangNim Hwang Kee.

M.Tabone

Mr Tabone,

Do you train in Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan?

Thanks

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Carsten:

This isn't going to go anywhere if you simply evade giving specifics.

This really isn't rocket science. I cite an article and you say the article is wrong. I quote from JBL and you say I am misunderstanding. Lets take a look one more time. The source is BLACK BELT magazine 2000 issues for Sept, Oct and Nov.)

September, 2000

a.) JBL characterizes the Hwa Rang warriors and reports that they studied "under masters who taught them a vast curriculum". Fine. How does he know this? There are no records of the time and scholars are unable to even agree on what the HwaRang were. He lists a paragraph of options and ending with "108 weapons". What is his source?

b.) He also reports that they learned traditional medicine. What is his source?

c.) JBL identifies the founder of the Yi Dynasty as "Hwa Rang General Yi, Sung-gyi". What is his source for this?

d.) JBL states that "many of the HwaRang fled to the mountains and remote areas of Korea." Fine. In a land where people were required to have registration in various areas where are the documents showing that hermits resided in these areas. And if these people were in isolated hermitages deep in the mountains how could they sustain sufficient cohesion to the community in order to maintain the integrity of the organization?

October, 2000

a.) JBL says that his master was the 57th generation heir to a particular lineage of of HwaRang training handed down from the Silla period. I would like to know the names of heirs #56, #55, #54 and #53.

b.) JBL states that he started his training with his father who studied Judo and Kendo, and THEN he was brought to a monastery to study--- at the age of 4 --- in 1942 which means he was born in 1938, yes? There was a relocation in 1948 and then training became less frequent after a move in 1950. So from the age of 4 until the age of 12 these two kids wwere learning complex pshco-motor skills from 5am until well into the evening including sophisticated healing methods.He also states that there were 260 categories of 4,000 techniques and 108 traditional weapons in 20 categories. Where is this material recorded? He might know such material NOW but where is the evidence sucha monk knew all of this information or that children are capable of retaining and recalling such a curriculum?

c.) Since, by his statement "I inherited the HwaRang Combat system which was called Um-Yang Kwon", and his statement ("Remember hwa rang do as a martial art name did not exist 2,000 years ago. I founded the name to identify this new martial art in 1960.") perhaps you can explain just what it is that JBL would have us believe that he teaches. If he teaches Um-Yang Kwon who else of this lineage of tradition also practices Um-Yang Kwon? If there have been 57 inheritors there should be quite a range of practitioners, yes? Who else practices this art?

Finally, if everything JBL says about his art is true why does he not reside in Korea and teach his art foremost to his own culture? Why is he not granted status as as an "intangible treasure" as was done with the last two living Taek Kyon masters before their death?

I think this should probably be a good start.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
D

dohap

OK, I have nothing against this nice story, but:
1. You still evade the question who was 55th, 45th and so on
2. in fact JBLee told this history a little bit different in His books..but in fact I like more this new versions. In my opinion if He started with this story 30 years ago nobody would seek for mistakes now.
3. so there was only ONE um-yang kwon master in whole Korea? Living far north? and others?
4. if there always was ONLY ONE um-yang kwon master, who was his dummy for trainings? if there was any, he also should be at high level.
If NOT, where are the others?
5. history tells us that "secret", "father-to-son" styles are always weeker. Simple not so many opportunities to check and invent new stuff.
6. and the last for now: was Suahm Dosa teaching forms????
(I know, it's my favourite...)

OP
D

dohap

one more..
monk got a book, but they couldn't bring it...
so they were not learning ancestors by heart? strange.

OP
D

dohap

"[that made Him] the Supreme Grand Master of Hwarangdo IN AN UNBROKEN LINE OF SUCCESSION LASTING OVER 1800 YEARS..."

There is a difference between "passing down the techniques" and " being inheritor and GM in UNBROKEN line", don't You think?

Also the story changed. Show me anything about Choi Yong Sul in any printing of "The Ancient...".

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"[that made Him] the Supreme Grand Master of Hwarangdo IN AN UNBROKEN LINE OF SUCCESSION LASTING OVER 1800 YEARS..."

Of course, this is surely hyperbole...to be kind.

OP
S

shadow warrior

Very kind indeed. That is a LONG time!

Anyone who has trained under a number of Korean Masters who were part of the Korean martial landscape in the early 1960's knows that there are MANY, MANY, (countless) versions of that political time frame. The climate of clashes, giant egos and status seekers was everywhere.

It is an error to rely on ANY single Master as "the" source of facts in these matters no matter what Korean 'style' they represent..

Many of these diverse Masters contributed ideas and techniques to the ongoing flow of Korean Martial Arts. Who introduced what to whom and who can claim origins is just a shell game. Techniques flowed from the past, were seen, witnessed, changed and formed into different "systems".

The one thing which can not be denied is that Hwarang Do certainly does have some fancy dobooks and nice coloured belts! The internal control over the system has been called "cult like" in some circles, particularly by some who have defected from the organization (Duggan for one).

No person today in one lifetime could "MASTER" 108 weapons..for one thing you would have to kill a few hundred people in real combat just to be considered 'good'! There is a universe of distance between practicing a weapon and using against another expert. Who by the way would take your life if he could! Although there were some 'live blade' demos in the early 60's, there were only a few confrontations with weapons documented!

IMO JBL just wanted to start his own organization..no different than any of the other Korean Masters who left Korea to pursue the golden goose outside their own country... when they had a chance to do so...

Are the root techniques of Hapkido fighting skill sets that much different then Hwarang Do? Not that I can see..many similarities..including some interesting rare kicking mechanics..IMO

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Rich Parsons,

Sorry I did not respond to you question earlier. I used to train in Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan, back in '95. Now though I am Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan.

Again, I appologize for not getting to answere you sooner.

Respectfully,
M.Tabone

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree. I personally think it was just people that couldn't do HKD so they made up HRD
That's a strong statement. DJN JBL was an 8th Dan (I believe) in HKD. It is my understanding that no one who has ever been on the receiving end of his joint locks has ever walked away painless. I think ... he could probably "do hapkido." :)

Latest Discussions