Why did you start in TKD?

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by Manny, Jun 22, 2009.

1. terryl965

terryl965 <center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR

• Martial Talk Alumni
    What exactly is American Karate since Karate was brought to us from the East. I was just curious.

2. IcemanSK

IcemanSK El Conquistador nim!

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    I had a bully problem in jr. high, but didn't start TKD until I started high school. Funny thing...the bullies grew up over the summer.:uhyeah: That was in 1982. Much to the dismay of my parents, high school was just what I did to pass the time in between TKD class. I still love it more than ever, but I've learned to also be a more well-rounded person.

3. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix Purple Belt

My dad is an ACK black belt and he got me into MAs, but I liked kicking so I got into TKD. There are many times I have questioned my judgment on that decision, but since I started taking Judo as well, my TKD has made me happy.

Now, if I can only find a Hapkido dojang in my area.

4. padre

padre Orange Belt

I accepted some free lessons from a local Korean school and found that I liked it. The ethics, people, and general atmosphere just clicked with me.

5. SJON

SJON Blue Belt

I started out in the MA's out of insecurity, I suppose, and ended up in TKD specifically because it was the striking art available to me at a particular time, and continued to be available at every geographical location I subsequently found myself in.

6. Twin Fist

Twin Fist Grandmaster

it's what was there when i went looking to take lessons

why did i take lessons? i was small guy with a big mouth

7. Stac3y

Stac3y Master Black Belt

You? Aw, c'mon! Not you!

:roflmao:

8. rosworms

rosworms White Belt

Back when I was a kid in 1995, I started because I was obsessed with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.... deep, I know.

Now that I am an adult and going back after being away for sooo long, my reason is because I decided I need to do something with my life that I can be proud of and that is also good for me at the same time.
    My friend teaches a mixed martial arts in a very casual fashion, but I wanted something a little more formal and I already kinda knew what to expect with TKD because of my childhood history with it.

9. Msby

Msby Orange Belt

As my signature suggests, I hated PE. But my school has a program to do outside exercise and get credit for the class. I found a Long Fist school, but it was about an hour away and that was just not feasible to do for the 4 hour a week minimum of the exercise program. My friend told me about the TKD school he goes to, and since then I've been spending a great deal of my time there! :)

10. KELLYG

KELLYG 2nd Black Belt

I was eating lunch at one of my favorite local restaurants which was right around the corner from my school. I thought that I needed to do something to get in shape, I tried the gym and did not like it. I thought well I have never seen an over weight martial artists. (lol that is how much I knew about it). I popped into the Dojang around the corner and signed up for a trial period. I just loved it! I have been training about 7 years now and still loving it.

11. jedtx88

jedtx88 Yellow Belt

Because it was the best I could find. I knew it was the place for me when I walked in and saw this little 68 year old man with a beard half his height sparring hard with an 18 year old black belt. Then asking for another.123