Why did you start in TKD?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do American Karate, not TKD, but I started because my oldest son was training and it looked like so much fun. Now I'm more into than my kids are.

What exactly is American Karate since Karate was brought to us from the East. I was just curious.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a bully problem in jr. high, but didn't start TKD until I started high school. Funny thing...the bullies grew up over the summer.:uhyeah: That was in 1982. Much to the dismay of my parents, high school was just what I did to pass the time in between TKD class. I still love it more than ever, but I've learned to also be a more well-rounded person.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My dad is an ACK black belt and he got me into MAs, but I liked kicking so I got into TKD. There are many times I have questioned my judgment on that decision, but since I started taking Judo as well, my TKD has made me happy.

Now, if I can only find a Hapkido dojang in my area.

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I accepted some free lessons from a local Korean school and found that I liked it. The ethics, people, and general atmosphere just clicked with me.

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started out in the MA's out of insecurity, I suppose, and ended up in TKD specifically because it was the striking art available to me at a particular time, and continued to be available at every geographical location I subsequently found myself in.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it's what was there when i went looking to take lessons

why did i take lessons? i was small guy with a big mouth

rosworms

White Belt
Reaction score
Back when I was a kid in 1995, I started because I was obsessed with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.... deep, I know.

Now that I am an adult and going back after being away for sooo long, my reason is because I decided I need to do something with my life that I can be proud of and that is also good for me at the same time.
My friend teaches a mixed martial arts in a very casual fashion, but I wanted something a little more formal and I already kinda knew what to expect with TKD because of my childhood history with it.

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As my signature suggests, I hated PE. But my school has a program to do outside exercise and get credit for the class. I found a Long Fist school, but it was about an hour away and that was just not feasible to do for the 4 hour a week minimum of the exercise program. My friend told me about the TKD school he goes to, and since then I've been spending a great deal of my time there! :)

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was eating lunch at one of my favorite local restaurants which was right around the corner from my school. I thought that I needed to do something to get in shape, I tried the gym and did not like it. I thought well I have never seen an over weight martial artists. (lol that is how much I knew about it). I popped into the Dojang around the corner and signed up for a trial period. I just loved it! I have been training about 7 years now and still loving it.

jedtx88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Because it was the best I could find. I knew it was the place for me when I walked in and saw this little 68 year old man with a beard half his height sparring hard with an 18 year old black belt. Then asking for another.

Latest Discussions