Why did you choose kenpo?

Why did you choose kenpo?

• I walked into the local martial arts school and got lucky

• chose it after careful consideration of several martial arts

• my friends got me into it

• other... please explain below

• I'm not a kenpoist... I just read the kenpo forums.

Results are only viewable after voting.
R

Rob Moeser

After spending 4 years in TKD, I realized that there was too much missing, so I visited every Martial arts school in the city. One of the very first I went to was my present school, which teaches Tracy style Kenpo. After going to about 20 other schools, I came back to Professional Self Defense, and my wife and I are just testing for our 3rd Brown Belt now (3 years later). My two children (8 and 12) also train there, and are 2/3 of the way to purple belt now. I train under Sensei Ralph Chinnick, a 8th degree in Kenpo, 3rd degree in Shinki Ju-Jitsu, 2nd degree in Hung Gar Kung Fu, and a 2nd degree in Daito-Ryu Ju-Jitso[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif].
[/font]

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont do Kenpo, just like reading about different styles...there is no Kenpo schools where I am but would be interested to see it an action one day soon.

K

karavak

I started in kenpo because it was close to where I was living (walking distance) and since I wanted to start learning a MA but had been too lazy to drive to another school, it worked out well.

O

OC Kid

I started in Kempo to compete in tournaments. I moved away from my home dojo to Calif. I found Bob Whites studio and Dick Willetts studio and in the tournament era of the 80s and 90s these schools were the very best around. I then got a look at the art it self and fell for it. Though I dont really teach it per se but I use the theories and principals in the art I teach.

M

Mark Weiser

Honestly the Reason for chosing Kenpo was after years of training in different Self Defensive Course courtesy of the Military and Law Enforcement. I found that Kenpo is the most versatile MA there is and I enjoy the Forms and the Techniques. Also Since some of the First Generation BB's are in my age group LOL! I feel close to ya guys. I am not telling ya my age either lol. I love the fluidity and power that Kenpo has.

I truly enjoy practicing and teaching Kenpo. When I teach I get better because you are always looking at how to make it easier to learn and refining your own Forms and Techs.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
I found that Kenpo is the most versatile MA there is and I enjoy the Forms and the Techniques. I love the fluidity and power that Kenpo has.

I just got lucky and the first place I walked into was a Kenpo school. I also love the fluidity and power that Kenpo has, plus the fact that unlike other MAs it can be tailored to your specific body type if needed. And, it leaves room for the instructors and students to make their own discoveries.....

Respectfully,
Gin-Gin :asian:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I heard thtough the rumor mill that the GoldenDragon is, in fact, 95 years old, 125 lbs, and smokes three packs of Marlboro reds a day.

I didn't really choose kenpo. I was gettin' whooped for bein a white boy in rural-ish Hawaii, and my folks signed me up at a kenpo school for my 6th B-day. Been at it (mostly) since. Have studied some other stuff, but kenpo stays the core.

D.

Bill Smith

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had just started Martial Arts in 1992 in Tae Kwon Do. One day I was at my brother's house and he was watching "The Perfect Weapon" and he told me that I should look into Kenpo. A new American Kenpo school had just open down the street. I told him that Kenpo couldn't touch what I was taking but with a little convincing from the bro I called the Kenpo school.

When the instructor answered the phone, he asked was I new to martial arts or did I have experience. Of course me being new to martial arts (1 1/2 years training) and the cocky attitude that some get when starting in the arts...I said yes with a positive voice. His sale line to me was..."I'll break both your arm and leg and there is nothing you will be able to do about it". Well after that I had to go and see what this Kenpo thing would do.

As my brother and I walked into the school, I was approached by this 5'3"/5'4" instructor by the name of Sam Stein (my 1st Kenpo instructor). He said throw whatever I want at him and at any speed. Well me, with the Tae Kwon Do kicks, I through a right roundhouse kick followed by a right punch.

He had me dead to rights and there was nothing I could do. My brother had said he has never seen me with a dumb-founded look on my face until that moment. Need less to say, I signed up that night and never looked back.

Kenpo is forever locked in my blood. I'm glad I made that phone call to Mr. Sam Stein and for him showing and teaching me this Great art called American Kenpo.

Bill Smith

Sorry for being too long.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I heard thtough the rumor mill that the GoldenDragon is, in fact, 95 years old, 125 lbs, and smokes three packs of Marlboro reds a day.
Humph....... I don't know where some get their info all screwed up .....but.. here are the facts......
I am 18,993 days old, weigh curds, and pack a punch that'll make Marls burro Red any day!

So there you have it!

Well, you know what I always say........

You can lead a horse to water......
But you can't smear cake on his lips ! ! !........
:whip:

K

Karazenpo

I started in Okinawan Goju ryu in '73 but switched to Kenpo in '74 after watching a Kenpo class taught by Hanshi Craig Seavey and why? Because I could see Kenpo work! Nothing against GoJu, it's a great martial art and I still dabble a little in it. Hanshi Seavey also has high ranking in GoJu ryu under Professor Larry Garron. However, in these Hawaiian-derived Kenpo/Kempo/Kajukenbo systems you don't have to figure out how to apply things, nothing is really abstract. What you see is what you get and anyone who is in the least bit street- wise will instantly pick up on this when practicing or even watching the Kenpo arts in action. Just my opinion.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i started studying martial arts only 8 years ago.
i started studying buddhism about 13 years ago at the age of 19.
the only thing publicly available in my area growing up was tae kwon do, but i knew that wasnt for me (because of my build).
it was my study of buddhism that really made me want to study martial arts as a way of tempering myself both physically and mentally.
i stumbled upon a kempo teacher in my town that taught out of his basement. his teacher was somewhat of an enigma that turned him and the 4 other students who graded rank away.
the first year was the most agonizing and painful both physically and mentally. i cried and bled more that year than i ever had before. i was scared to go to class and scared to stay away. classes were about 3 1/2 hours long, 3 nights a week. about the second year i was going 5 days a week, 2 of those days being privately taught.
i was addicted to my art.......i trained everyday. i was awarded my shodan after 3years of hard strenuous training. it was quite an emotional ride.
i have been studying kosho-ryu for 6years, which to me is more than a martial art......kempo itself is something more than a martial art to me.......it was and is still, THE way for me. i dont know if i chose it, so much as it chose me.
my first teacher and i have become very close friends.....even after the hell he put me through lol

shawn

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i actually came from judo, took one to many hits from the mats (of cource on ym knees....wouldn't want to fall on my back, the other guy would win!) so i decided to try something different karate was out, i never really liked the style. looked at tkd, was very tempted, then i walked by the local kenpo school. figured, looks good, lots of variations. gave it a try, and i likes!

scfgabe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been researching various martial arts for a while now, and I have been most impressed with those groups in American Kenpo. I am fortunate because there are a few great schools close to me. I have also found Kenpo to be the most practical art today; including empty-hand, weapons, ground fighting and mutiple attacker techniques. Kenpo has it all!

G

getgoin

A friend of mine turned me onto it. I started in TAI Kenpo under Ralph Andersen, but have moved onto Prof. Callejo and other arts

R

rainbows

Kenpo was my first style. I just randomly decided one day at the age of 11 that I wanted to try a martial art. So I went along to the local club one day, it just happened to be kenpo. I stayed 7 years with that club (left when I went to college). Sadly, the club shut down about 8 months after I left, due to ridiculous amounts of infighting between the instructors.

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
The attraction was the no-nonsense practicality, flow, and early exposure of students to core MA principals within a superb teaching structure.

It clearly did the job and did it very well! I was hooked after two sessions, and haven't looked back since.

I had done a little bit of judo, and a couple of years of karate as a child/teen, didn't train for a few years until doing some Aikido at university, did some dabbling in TKD and Wu-shu, and when graduating and moving to London to work I decided to look for a martial arts club. I had only studied East Asian martial arts, and languages, so I was choosey as to what to commit to, and had no real interest in an American art (no disrespect to forum members from the US, but I am from the UK and have worked and studied in the far-east, so I didn't view it as a domestic art, nor was I interested in a western approach).

A colleague mentioned he did EPAK and was trying to organise a local training session. I went along out of courtesy thinking if nothing else I might get a work out and was utterly impressed by what I saw.

Like kenpo Tex I was surprised and pleased with the first two techniques I learned (delayed sword and sword of destruction). Learning moves as a flowing sequence was a key attraction. Trusting the student with street effective techniques from day one and learning correct distance and contact penetration with lots of partner work had me sold. Having learned first hand the danger that training with touch sparring control presents a martial artist in a real confrontation, I knew after the first session that the system and the training methodology was something I owed it to myself to learn.

Almost 4 years on I consider myself lucky to have encountered it when I did as EPAK is still a rarity in the UK.

Awesome system to train in, great people to train with.

respectfully,

Dan

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was pretty young and had been interested in the martial arts for some time thanks to movies and such. I was at my county fair and a couple of "mean looking dudes" approached me and handed me a flyer for a martial arts demonstration they would be conducting later that day. The flyer said "Kenpo Karate", didn't have a clue what that was, so I decided I would check it out. I went to the demonstration area and watched several demonstrations from several different schools (mostly TKD, and TSD). Wasn't very impressed with 5, 6, and 7 year olds wearing 2nd and 3rd degree BB's. Then the "mean looking dudes" from the "Kenpo Karate" school came out wearing BLACK Gi's. That caught my attention. I watched about a 25 to 30 minute demonstration, and noticed no really high or flying kicks, but was greatly impressed with the tremendous speed. The next day I went to the school (a small run-down place in the back of a strip mall, later nick-named "The Dungeon") and met with one of the "mean looking dudes". To my amazement, the "mean looking dude" was one of the nicest people I have ever met. I was ready to sign up then, but he insisted I come back later that day to watch a class. (Actually he insisted I watch at least 3, but I was already sold). I came back that night and watched a class of about 7 people (all there was at that time), and the rest is history.

Latest Discussions