Associations...

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
With all the abundant amount of Kenpo associations and organizations out there to choose from, if you had to choose one, which would it be and why?

How long does it take to 7th in the WKKA???....:rofl: :asian:

B

brentb

It would depend on where I was located, and who the instructor would be there. Whether you want to learn traditional American Kenpo as Parker laid it out, or if you wanted to join an organization that may be continuing to advance the art.

If I was on the US West coast, I'd like to learn LTKKA from Larry Tatum's school. Elsewhere, I might like to stick with an IKKA school that was teaching the traditional curriculum, or maybe go for one of the schools that are expanding on EPs techniques and making new ones, and working with "rythmic timings" I think they call it and new directions. I'd like to train with Huk Planas, and there are many others as well that would all be good.

I've seen the WKKA school here and would not train there because I thought it was a belt promotion factory more than anything, but that could be just that school, and not all in the WKKA.

to me it would depend more on the instruction, and instructors not so much the organization.

take care
Brent

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631

With all the abundant amount of Kenpo associations and organizations out there to choose from, if you had to choose one, which would it be and why?

You will have to clarify. I believe there are two associations that use WKKA. one is the World Kenpo Karate Association owned by Mr. Jim Mitchell. And the other the World-wide Kenpo Karate Association not sure who owns that. And if my memory serves me correctly Mr. Mitchell came out with his association a few years before the other came out.

Michael

OP
kenpo3631

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
The WKKA Worldwide Kenpo Karate AssociationWKKA was formed in 1991 by Mr. Palanzo in Pikesville, MD.

Do you have the link to Mr. Mitchells Group?:asian:

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score

The WKKA Worldwide Kenpo Karate AssociationWKKA was formed in 1991 by Mr. Palanzo in Pikesville, MD.

Do you have the link to Mr. Mitchells Group?:asian:

Sorry unfortunately Mr. Mitchell does not have a Web site at this time. Other things have happened also, can't say on a public forum like this though.

Michael

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i'm not affiliated with any of the organizations right now officially. i like to just go to camps and seminars that are nearby who have the masters of kenpo teaching at them. my instructor is affiliated with the wkka (joe palanzo's). admittedly, i'm not a big fan of the wkka, but you can't judge a school by its organization.

W

WilliamTLear

It's not about really about what the organization can do for you, but what you can contribute to your own expereince by joining that organization.

Life is a buffet... If you don't bring anything to the table, what the hell are ya gunna eat?

Hasta,
Billy Lear

P.S. I'm a member of the United Kenpo Systems association. :asian:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear

Life is a buffet... If you don't bring anything to the table, what the hell are ya gunna eat?

Hasta,
Billy Lear

P.S. I'm a member of the United Kenpo Systems association. :asian:

Billy,

I don't think a fork, spoon and appetite count...:rofl:

jb:D

p.s. Notice I didn't put a knife in your hand....I at least know better than that...

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by jbkenpo

Billy,

I don't think a fork, spoon and appetite count...:rofl:

jb:D

p.s. Notice I didn't put a knife in your hand....I at least know better than that...

I don't care about the silverware...

Come here and lemme show you how to hold a fork, while I dig your brains outta your skull with the spoon!!! **We'll call it Kenpo Hannibal style** :lol:

G

GouRonin

How long does it take to 7th in the WKKA???

Now Sir. I am sure that there are some fine WKKA practitioners in the mix that will do very well on their own. To smear them with the same paintbrush I'm sure helps no one in the long run.

The truth it is depends on how much money you have.

OP
kenpo3631

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just asked because I have seen someone go to 7th in as little as 14 yrs....

Money aye? That's it!...sad:(

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I like that one!

I'm going to try it on my 15 year old son.

It'll give him a break from;

"A person going nowhere usually gets there"

Which he says he is sick of hearing me say.

Les

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Les

I like that one!

I'm going to try it on my 15 year old son.

It'll give him a break from;

"A person going nowhere usually gets there"

Which he says he is sick of hearing me say.

Les

That's kewel... Does your son train with you?

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score

That's kewel... Does your son train with you?

No, he doesn't.

He used to, but after I got divorced he didn't like sharing me with a bunch of other kids for even an hours class. He couldn't seperate the "dad" from the "instructor"

Also, he seemed to think because his dad was the instructor he should be the best student there, and felt he was letting me down when he wasn't.

Now he's older, and he's just too lazy to put in the effort, plus he doesn't like discipline.

Don't get me wrong though, he's a good kid, just lacking motivation in his life.

Les

G

GouRonin

I can't wait till Billy gets his sheet together and starts the Pirate Kenpo ball rolling.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I had to do this once and I chose the Instructor first and the Association second.

I admit that I knew I wanted to get the EPAK material but it also happened that I liked that instructor better. I could be a 4th now had I gone with the non-EPAK instructor but I wanted the material and I took the instructor. If he taught EPAK and not been in the IKKA... I don't know how that would have worked out. It was not an option then.

I picked the guy that knew what I wanted to learn, who was good at it, and who I got along with. Of the 2 guys I had narrowed it down to, I picked the one who I thought was better. If he had not been the EPAK guy I would probably have decided that the EPAK stuff wasn't all that great and gone with the better guy.

Like I read somewhere once, "Most of us are at the mercy of the Karate Gods when we pick our first school." We usually don't know enough in the beginning to pick the "best school" so much of where we end up is luck. Not true for everyone, but true for most.

I think I may have gotten this from Mr. Hawkins off the Interview video I've mentioned elsewhere. I hope this made sense. I'm punchy. It's late/early. :)

:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Oh. I think it takes longer to get to the Tootsie Roll Center of a Tootsie Pop than it does to make 7th in the WKKA.
:rofl:

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by cdhall

Oh. I think it takes longer to get to the Tootsie Roll Center of a Tootsie Pop than it does to make 7th in the WKKA.
:rofl:

So How many lick does it take to make seventh in the WKKA? :moon:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But I did go with my instructor. I was fortunate to find a group of like-minded guys to train with. Bob Liles, Bryan Hawkings, Andre Sims, Tommy Burks, Howard Silva, etc.

My 2nd choice - that may be my 1st if I did not have so much instructor loyalty, would be Dennis Conatser's. Not the biggest, or the fastest promoting probably, but quality counts.

I also like Huk's teaching, and John Sepulveda to name a few others.
-Michael
UKS-Texas

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Michael Billings

But I did go with my instructor. I was fortunate to find a group of like-minded guys to train with. Bob Liles, Bryan Hawkings, Andre Sims, Tommy Burks, Howard Silva, etc.

My 2nd choice - that may be my 1st if I did not have so much instructor loyalty, would be Dennis Conatser's. Not the biggest, or the fastest promoting probably, but quality counts.

I also like Huk's teaching, and John Sepulveda to name a few others.
-Michael
UKS-Texas

Speaking of John Sepulveda, is it your school he's going to be
at next month?