Why did you choose kenpo?

Why did you choose kenpo?

• I walked into the local martial arts school and got lucky

• chose it after careful consideration of several martial arts

• my friends got me into it

• other... please explain below

• I'm not a kenpoist... I just read the kenpo forums.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've stated my story before but I realized I was missing something in my training. After going to an aikido, kung fu, then the kenpo studio and checking them out there was no question where I was going to give a life long commitment to.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I started in 1973 my school was the ONLY one within about 10 miles. Now, there are at least 50 martial arts schools within 10 miles.

E

Eggman

after getting my TKD butt whipped at a high school fight, i realized that i needed to find a new art. At 19 i found a kenpo school in Reno. 13 years later and im still wacking away.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine who was just a cook introduced me to the art. I don't remember what org he was in, but his instructor was a girl and he liked to do a lot of leg buckling on me. :shrug:

M

MartialArtsGuy

For me it was luck and research. I had planed on visiting a bunch of schools, talking to the teachers and trying a class. The first school I tried was the Kenpo school, and after visiting a few others I had decided to go with the kenpo. It was luck that it happend to be the closest and the first I had visited.

What attracted me was the skill/athleticism of the teacher, his description of kenpo and his ability to teach. Everyone looked like they were working hard but having a good time and learning alot.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
who told me about a local karate school that was running a two-for-one special. Since I was the resident pansy in my school, I decided to kick (!) it around. Turned out to be a Kenpo school. Transitioned to Hapkido and stayed in it until a few years ago, when I became involved in Kenpo again. My buddy lasted about six months, and I've been involved for 31 years. Go figure!

Respects,
Bill Parsons

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
After 8 years of traditional martial arts (shotokan, Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Aikido, and Moo Lim Do), a kenpo instructor joined our school. Started learning EPAK and never looked back. I have no desire to continue with TKD or Shotokan, though Judo is still a great interest.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenpo (EPAK under Lee Wedlake) was my first Martial Art. I end up there because my friend talked me into it.

Because I was so young at the time, I stopped going after about a 1 1/2 years. I had other iterests that kept me occupied, like girls.

During 1983 to 1990, I was in and out of several different styles. I couldn't stick with any because after Kenpo, the traditional styles didn't seem right for me.

In 1991 I started to seriously look for a Kenpo school. I wanted to go back to EPAK or at least Tracy Kenpo. It seemed that all the schools I visited didn't meet my expectations until I met my current instructor. Not the exact style/system I was looking for but his Black and Brown belts really impressed me when they worked out. (Just as Mr. Wedlake's students did back in 81)

12 years later I have never had cause to regret my choice.:D

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The college offered karate and it turned out to be Kenpo. Before I started, the only martial arts I knew about were Kung Fu, Judo, and Karate. I didn't realize until later how many varieties of martial arts existed.

- Ceicei

G

gman

I was lucky. I checked out a few schools. Lokked at the ones that had a web sites. It came down to the two closest school something called American Kenpo Karate or Aikido. Now I would drive an hour for the Kenpo class.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Other ... I had taken some Judo as a kid in the early to mid 60's, then Shotokan in the late 60's until 1973. I was from a small town and the only other thing offered was TKD. Moved to Austin, started TKD with Michael Usulton and did that until 1978. Saw a guy with a sharp shiney sword at a tournament, then saw his empty hand form and decided I had to get me some of that, so in 1979 I started Kenpo. The man was Brian Duffy doing a Chinese Kenpo variant, and switched to EPAK in the mid 80's.

It was the sophistication, power, circular with linear. He was...and is an outstanding technician, and his forms are a thing of beauty, as the hundreds of trophies and even a couple of International's trophies attest to.

Never looked back.
-MB

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well, my son started 5 years ago as a 6 year old "little dragon", and my wife started a few months after that. my daughter and i had little choice... so for survival reasons, together we took our introductory classes a few months later. now... mrs. pete is a black belt and the l'il pete is on his way to junior black. my daughter quit at jr. green, but i keep on keepin' on!

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
After ten years off and on of Korean martial arts, I moved to Cleveland Ohio where I started to visit various schools. When I visited a kenpo school and saw things that were totally differant to the previous knowledge I had. Have been hooked ever since.

M

MisterMike

I have to credit my introduction to Kenpo a friend of 10 years I met in college. I come from a Japanese Art background, so accepting Kenpo was a bit of a challenge at first. In fact, it was 2 years before I actually enrolled into a studio. I am certainly not disappointed and enjoyed my studies very much.

Michael

K

Kempo Guy

I no longer train in EPAKK and only train Kempo occasionally these days. BUT, what got me interested was a Kenpo demo put on by Ed Parker's Kenpo Academy in Pasadena. I didn't live all that close so I kept the interest but didn't start right away.

A year later I saw "Perfect Weapon" which reignited my interest. I went over to the Pasadena Academy for the re-opening demo (in '91) and decided to join a EPAKK school that just opened at the time next to the college I was attending.

K

Kenpomachine

While at school (ten years old), they began to offer courses on self defense and kenpo karate. My bro went into kenpo and I chosed SD. In the end, they were the same class.

When I left school, nearest kenpo school was 40-60 min away from home, so we left. But the worm was already in me and when I got to uni, I enrolled in kenpo classes again, up to this day :)

E

Elfan

There was a school across the street. Made it convientent enough.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally I had studied a sport-oriented Okinawan style at the local YMCA. After narrowly escaping serious injury in a fight (he had a knife, I had trained to always pull my punches...yep, I was lucky), I looked for a school teaching practical self defense. Even though it was an hour's drive away, after my first Kenpo class, studying a technique that would actually work (The Lever - EPAK equivalent: Lone Kimono) I knew that I was in the right place.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was studying TKD, and I was a security guard. One day I realised that if a situation developed, I was gonna be in deep doo doo if I tried to protect myself using what I'd been taught.

A friend of mine used to rave about this extremely effective art called Kempo. I had no idea what it was. Then Perfect Weapon came to the cinemas and I had no idea that Kenpo and Kempo were different, I just knew I wanted to learn Kenpo.
Then one day a school opened up about 1/2 hour away, so I joined.
I found out later that my friend had no idea what Kenpo was about:)
Then around 6 - 7 years later I left and joined a Kempo school.....

Go figure:confused:

Anyhoo, it's all good!

--Dave

:asian: