Why did you choose kenpo?

Why did you choose kenpo?

• I walked into the local martial arts school and got lucky

• chose it after careful consideration of several martial arts

• my friends got me into it

• other... please explain below

• I'm not a kenpoist... I just read the kenpo forums.

Results are only viewable after voting.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo covers all of the various types of stand up fighting, (Impacting & Jujitsu), and a well rounded varity of ground fighting,(Impacting & Grappling). For me it is the way to go.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Meijin10 said:
a well rounded varity of ground fighting,(Impacting & Grappling). For me it is the way to go.
Hmmm....could you be more specific? Which type of Kenpo do you study? Could you please explain Kenpo's use of groundfighting in more detail?

Thanks,

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually decided to start taking martial arts after i hurt my shoulders at the gym to many times(pre-exsisting problems, that would be good for a while then flare up all at once), Fed up once and for all i set out to find a school. I thought i would check the internet for some schools near by. I knew that i didnt want to do TKD just because it seemed like it was everywhere. So i did a little searching and i found my current school Bluegrass Martial Arts. I was reading the style (first thought: Shaolin Kempo? WTF?) I read up a little on the style and thought it would be cool to give it a try(free first lesson). Thats that and now im approaching my orange belt test. I love it. my overall physical health has improved. it has also proven useful on one occasion.

B

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I got lucky when I walked into the first school I visited. Being overweight and with a bad knee, I was happy to hear that Kenpo was meant to be adapted to the body of the individual and focus on self-defense. I was able to get in better shape as a result of the training, but I could do so without putting undue strain on my joints.

When that school closed, I decided to "branch out" and started attending a Tai Chi/Kung Fu school. I really liked their internal program and am still training in it, but found the external program did not fit my needs or circumstances. I began to miss the practicality and flow of the kenpo (which is also what I tend to like about the Tai Chi classes). So I found the people who used to own the school were still training some folks and got back into it a couple of months ago.

Stooooo

White Belt
Reaction score
I chose Kenpo, because my sons were already attending the school. My sons started attending the school, because my oldest son's 1st grade classmate was already at the school. So the school came very highly recommended.

All the best,
Stu

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was younger I was always thinking that I would like to train in some sort of martial art. I figured that I would get into TKD because my main hobby was Hacky Sack and I figured that it would be natural for me to get involved in a kicking art. Then I saw The Perfect Weapon. I fell in love with the hand movements. It was different than other martial art movies at the time. After I gratuated High School I decided that I wanted to start, so I looked around. I called a few places to find out about different arts and eventually found a Kempo school. Even though it was mostly a Villari style, the instructor eventually started adding Parker techniques to his system. Now I teach a blended style of both Parker and Villari with some Goju mixed in.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I started martial arts in 1999 and I've been drawn to Kenpo (honestly had no clue why - maybe it's due to how much controversy in the art - I'm a sucker for controversy) since about 2000 and officially started studying it in 2004.

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was fortunate and lucky at a young age to be involved in Chinese Kenpo, but as with a lot of young kids, I lost interest - even though I was really good for my age. About seven years ago, I wanted to find something similar to what I learned so many years earlier. I did a search on the internet and found this small Chinese Kempo school in the same town I live in. (This was a big plus!) I sent an e-mail and was invited to show up the following week. I met the instructor, and he let me start training the following week. Almost seven years later, he still lets me show up...LOL...I'm the luckiest guy in the world! Fate may be the reason...for choosing Kenpo/Kempo?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Funny story. Back in the 80's, I was in the Navy. A group of us sailors would, when we were in port, all go to the gym and do some sparring. We noticed one of the ships officers was usually there, over in the corner doing his kata. At the time, I didnt recognize the style.

Eventually we asked him if wanted to spar with us, and I was the lucky one that got to go first with him. At the time, I was like 20, lean, mean and a brown belt in TKD, so I started throwing kicks.

I was having a grand old time, pretty much keeping him at distance, and landing some good shots.

Then he teleported inside my kicking range, and hit me about 42 times as he circled around me.

He told me later that he had a healthy respect for my kicks, but once he got inside, I was helpless. And I had to ask, what Style was he using.

"Kenpo"

I was hooked. As soon as I transferred back to the states I went and found myself a Kenpo school.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I mainly studied variations of different traditional Korean martial arts since I was a kid and less than 3 years of Aikido. I moved back to Los Angeles and couldn't find a good Aikido dojo near where I live. I went school shopping by staying at a school for a bit (about three months) before moving on. When I came across a Kenpo school I asked around the Net about the instructor (Bryan Hawkins). The reply I got was amazing, so I went to his studio where he interviewed me. I find him to be reputable and would recommend him to others.

What I enjoy about Kenpo is the explanations behind the moves. When I go to a seminar of a different style I have a much easier time understanding their concepts.

KempoKop

White Belt
Reaction score
I looked at several different arts as well as dojo's and I found Kempo to be the best all around combat style. The other schools were more focused on pure tradition or sport.

I also liked that I found a dojo that actually encouraged students to learn about firearms as part of their upper belt rankings. The philosophy was that we live in a society of firearms and that students at least have a basic knowledge. That was refreshing and being that I hunt and target shoot which is always my first love it was very welcomed.

Lastly, I like the fact that very young students (even very gifted ones) were held at blue belt because the thought was that children that young could not grasp the totality of advanced techniques and all the applications of employing those techniques at an advanced belt level.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was already a 2nd Dan in Nahate Goju (Karate) when I got my second intro to kenpo...the first was "The Perfect Weapon" when I was a teenger studying karate.

The sense that kenpo made made me look deeper and then began a study through the IKCA and eventually was lucky enough to find an IKCA school.

Now I'm teaching at a WKKA school near Ft Meade, MD.

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo covers all of the various types of stand up fighting, (Impacting & Jujitsu), and a well rounded varity of ground fighting,(Impacting & Grappling). For me it is the way to go.

I concur with above, and add, for men shorter than average height, kempo is also "Ideal" for them.Also incorporates explosive techniques/combos/movements to enable you to quickly defend yourself in a street self defense situation!

i had wrestled early school years, combined that with ground and pound,boxing.
Right when i got out of highschool, started researching,and taking: aikido, shotokan, tai chi.
Friend who had gotten his yellow-soon to be orange told me about kempo, and, that same night, we watched perfect weapon.
I asked, "for real?"
He said, "Yep"
I went to intro class, and never looked back since, or, stopped training since then.
It is more than a hobby to me, it is a life style.
Im an addict-maaannn!
LOL!!!

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I had started with Wun Hop Kuen Do (and freelancing Ninjutsu) but due to funding I had to quit. When I was more financially stable I tried to go back but the school was closed for the same reasons. Not to disparage TKD but at the time (young and foolish) I had heard TKD was a sport so I looked for something else.

There was a Kenpo school just down the road at a gym. It took all of two lessons for me to fit right in and really get down to some fun training. I was hooked on Kenpo at 18 (and it allowed me to start dropping in on a friends Ninpo classes again).

Kenpo is what I think of as my core art although it is my "3rd" system of study.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because I'm anal and always need to know the "why's" and the "how's" behind things.

I'd been in and out of MA all my life until I discovered Kenpo. No other art held my interest for long and I always wanted to know why a manuever was executed the way it was other than because that was the way it had been taught for 2000 years.

Kenpo appeases my ADD as well as my "thirst for knowledge". LOL It's more of a science than and art IMHO and that appeals to me. I know I can live my whole life and never know all there is to know about it. Because there's so much to learn it always keeps my interest.

Not to mention it's practical and very logical. And so am I. In short I guess I feel it just fits my personality.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back in 1993 (when I was 11) I was the focus of the school bully, so my parents immediately enrolled me in the nearest dojo. Which happened to be a SKK Dojo.
In a few short months I was able to fend off the bullies and really started to enjoy the art of Kempo. I earned my Shodan in 1998, my Nidan in 2000, and finally my Sandan in 2010. Took a four year break from 2000-2004, and Got married in 2004 which spawned a hunger to return to my Kempo roots. Started teaching Kempo at my church and the rest is history. I have continued to teach in churches since 2004 and have enjoyed every minuite of it!!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I chose Kempo because it was the one with an instructor that my parents liked when i was 5. I am currently 18, and while i am trying out different types of martial arts including kickboxing and judo, i am extremely glad kempo was my first. It did a great job giving me an instruction in martial arts, and i have learned a lot. As you said in the poll, i got extremely lucky with my choice

Last edited:

Latest Discussions