Associations...

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You won't make 4th or 2nd Black by learning a few measly techniques or being a nice guy - you'll have to study the Art and do it seriously.

:asian:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

in several threads that people refer to switching Assosciations. What was your experience with it? Good or Bad?

I have only switched Associations once.

It was a very hard decision, which took me a couple of months to decide on.

In the end, I had to do what was best for my students, not what suited me, and so I switched.

The decision cost me the 20+ year friendship of my instructor, but that is my only regret.

Kenpo wise, my clubs are getting much more support, with regular visits from other instructors. My clubs are also growing steadily, due to the support I get.

Personally, I have gained a group of mentors who will willingly give their time to help me.

All in all, the move was the best thing I could have done, and I have no regrets.

Les

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
in several threads that people refer to switching Assosciations. Mr. C did it, why did you? What was your experience with it? Good or Bad?

When the opportunity came for me to be able to study with Mr. Parker himself, I jumped at it. I was able to increase my knowledge and at the same time develop a great friendship. I was always loyal to the system and my instructor, yet at the same time never forgetting my roots and those that had helped me along the way.

It was a great experience and a true opportunity. Since I realize that, that is why I stay in and continue to teach and pass on to those who deserve it, the Art which I was given.
:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John Sepulveda will be at Austin Kenpo Karate, but I plan on being there with bells on, barring family emergency stuff.

Associations: I have switched twice. It was difficult both times. The first was from the NCKKA, Chinese Kenpo, to the IKKA, when my instructor moved directly under Mr. Parker. Completely different techniques mostly, but moreover, a different way of executing them. I do not regret this, but it was hard letting go of some of the neat weapons work we did in the NCKKA that was just not part of the IKKA. I was too busy learning the new to regret missing the old.

Years later I again changed Associations. Following Mr. Parker's death and "THE FRAGMENTATION", as I like to call it, I waited and then joined the UKS. I liked the people and they had all been training with Mr. Parker in the late 80's, which was important to me. Now the associations are stronger, more defined, and have more stability. It is about what they offer my students, as well as myself, in my own journey through Kenpo.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

OP
kenpo3631

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
What does an association do that you can't do on your own. I am sure if you were to call anyone of those gentelmen and offer to pay for their airfare, hotel and food, that they would come out to see you on any given weekend they had free. Why not, they are making money.

You can get all the training for you and your students want and get a private lesson to boot in most cases. Oh of course there are association specific camps and seminars that you could not attend, but how much do they cost? Most guys cost about $500 or more to bring in. The upside to that is that they are YOUR the whole weekend.

I think up side to joining an association is the ability to say " hey look who I belong to" and you get to use their logo.

Personally I think that the reason people stayed with the IKKA was Mr. Parker. Just of of student loyalty and respect. YOu all say what happened when he died...need I say more.

That's just my two cents...:asian:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631

What does an association do that you can't do on your own. I am sure if you were to call anyone of those gentelmen and offer to pay for their airfare, hotel and food, that they would come out to see you on any given weekend they had free. Why not, they are making money.

My clubs are the only ones in the United Kingdom that are with the association I belong to.

I get regular visits from an Instructor who comes from Utah.
I don't pay his air fare, accomodation, or food. (Although I do take him out for a meal when he is here)

Also, my own Instructor has several times in the past paid his own airfare to come to England to grade my students and teach seminars.

As to what I can't do that my association can, as an extremely low ranked instructor, I get support, instruction, help, advice and motivation.

Les

OP
kenpo3631

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Les,

I didn't mean any disrespect by that post. I am just stating a fact.I don't know how it is in the UK but here in the US, you can call anyone of the seniors and if you are cordial and explain what you want, most are happy to comply.:asian:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631

Les,

I didn't mean any disrespect by that post. I am just stating a fact.I don't know how it is in the UK but here in the US, you can call anyone of the seniors and if you are cordial and explain what you want, most are happy to comply.:asian:

No offence taken!

In the UK we tend to be a bit insular. I know that I'm lucky with the support I get from my association.

There are other people from other associations here in England that I can call on too.

I'm not a great fan of politics, I just want to train and learn.

Les

Latest Discussions