Why break grips?

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Whenever I focus on breaking grips, assuming I even can break the grip, I feel like I spend more time and effort breaking the grip than my opponent does re-establishing it. For example, I break my opponent's grip on my lapel. He then grabs my lapel again. I've wasted energy for something he easily got back. And if we keep going, I've burned myself out and they still end up with the grip they wanted.
"Whenever we break a grip, we control it and reengage once the grip comes off. There’s no sense in taking the grip off, let it go and let them reestablish it.

I am going to roll my shoulder back, use my hip and shoulder to jam him back, then move my shoulder in front. Once he backs up, I back up to create tension. Once I do that, I use my C grip, go straight up using my legs to push myself back and it comes off. Then, we bring it down and reengage our opponent."

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did not forget, but my instructor ended up coming in to teach a guest class yesterday. I might have another guest instructor coming in on Thursday, but if not I'll try to cover grip breaks and get someone to record class.
I'm just going to change my signature block to "@ Tony, don't forget the video."

😛

I'm just giving you a hard time, I do appreciate it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I truly don't believe the "upward lift" is strong enough to break a grip. Sometime a grip is very hard to break apart.

After you have teared your opponent's grip apart, your opponent has no grip on you, he will feel insecurity. When your opponent tries to get his grip back. That's the time to attack.

Last edited:

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I truly don't believe the "upward lift" is strong enough to break a grip.
The OP wasn't as much about grip breaking, than controlling after a lapel break. It's not just an "upward lift," nor the only way. There is empirical evidence that proves it works in high level competition in the Olympics and World Judo Championships. Here's two more lapel grip breaks and control...

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I truly don't believe the "upward lift" is strong enough to break a grip. Sometime a grip is very hard to break apart.
It's not just an "upward lift." The grip break in the video includes push/pull, tension, hip/shoulder rotation, whole body and down/up.

Shuai Chiao Tearing, push/pull.

After you have teared your opponent's grip apart, your opponent has no grip on you, he will feel insecurity. When your opponent tries to get his grip back. That's the time to attack.

From the World Judo Championships 2019 in Tokyo. When opponent tries to get their grip back, throw.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not just an "upward lift." The grip break in the video includes push/pull, tension, hip/shoulder rotation, whole body and down/up.
By using upward lift force, you have to deal with your opponent's body weight. By using horizontal force, or downward force, you don't. To be on top is better than to be below. To be inside is better than to be outside.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
By using upward lift force, you have to deal with your opponent's body weight.
Not if their arm is extended
By using horizontal force, or downward force, you don't. To be on top is better than to be below.
I think it’s better to be below for most throws and take downs
To be inside is better than to be outside.
Being outside is better I think - Once you’re past their elbow you have their back

There are many effective ways to break grips and control the opponent immediately after so I think one has to be open to lots of ways so you can find the best technique for the situation

Worth noting that many people have incredibly grip strength and when they use various methods of gripping that make the grip breaks harder &/or grip high up your jacket it’s very hard to break the grip so you also need methods that respect this dynamic

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Being outside is better I think - Once you’re past their elbow you have their back
It's possible to prevent this by being on the inside. I can do this by controlling your head either with a single arm or a clinch. Both will prevent the main body from going around.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's possible to prevent this by being on the inside. I can do this by controlling your head either with a single arm or a clinch. Both will prevent the main body from going around.
For sure, but I would rather have the back every day so I disagree with @Kung Fu Wang in that I think outside an arm is better than inside one

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For sure, but I would rather have the back every day so I disagree with @Kung Fu Wang in that I think outside an arm is better than inside one
I don't know which is better. I've been screwed on both from time to time. Inside works for me because of the options to use tiger claw. But if someone doesn't know those techniques then that option wouldn't be available. I guess the best would depend on one's strategy and options.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know which is better. I've been screwed on both from time to time. Inside works for me because of the options to use tiger claw. But if someone doesn't know those techniques then that option wouldn't be available. I guess the best would depend on one's strategy and options.
If you have someone’s back then you can hit them and throw them with no risk to yourself (as they can’t really hit or throw you) and they have minimal defensive capabilities so I think structurally it’s the best place to be in a standing situation

Of course there are lots of options for when you can’t get to their back, but they are always harder to pull off vs a resisting opponent

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I said, it's better to be

- on top than below.
- inside than to be outside,

I was talking about your arms and your opponent's arms. I was not talking about body position. Of course, if your squeezing power is stronger than your opponent's expanding power, the inside/outside principle may not hold.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can use head lock to bend your opponent's spine sideway, all his defense will be gone.

In training, sometime a student just stops after he can bend his opponent's spine. He doesn't even need to finish the throw.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recorded some grip fighting material in class tonight. I'll try to get it edited together for YouTube over the weekend.
Hi Tony, did you get a chance to edit this together?

Latest Discussions