Why break grips?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whenever I focus on breaking grips, assuming I even can break the grip, I feel like I spend more time and effort breaking the grip than my opponent does re-establishing it. For example, I break my opponent's grip on my lapel. He then grabs my lapel again. I've wasted energy for something he easily got back. And if we keep going, I've burned myself out and they still end up with the grip they wanted.

@Tony Dismukes I know you made some excellent videos in the past, this may be a good topic for another video. I hope you don't consider me out-of-line for requesting it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an option for when someone grabs you. Holding your lapel occupies their hand(s). So instead of breaking their grip, break something else.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's an option for when someone grabs you. Holding your lapel occupies their hand(s). So instead of breaking their grip, break something else.
Out-of-scope for this question.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I need to get back to making videos, so I'll make an effort to get something recorded for you. I only teach one class next week before I go on vacation, so if I'll probably aim for after Thanksgiving.

In the meantime, here's an important concept. Don't just break the grip and let go. In the moment when you break their grip, you generally will have hold of their hand, wrist, and/or sleeve. Use that to immediately establish your own control, redirecting their attempts to grab you again.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe he's asking in the context of sport grappling, where punching someone in the face when they grab you is generally frowned upon.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe he's asking in the context of sport grappling, where punching someone in the face when they grab you is generally frowned upon.
Maybe. But if you do it right, the person being punched in the face should be the only one frowning...

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Maybe. But if you do it right, the person being punched in the face should be the only one frowning...

I'm referring specifically to when I'm rolling and my professor or coach will tell me to break a grip. I'm not saying you can't do what Dirty Dog recommended. I'm not arguing for or against it. I'm merely asking how to make it a worthwhile endeavor when you do.

Although, in the context of sport grappling, you can often use the opponent's grip to set up something, such as lapel-based wristlocks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a difference between:

- Your opponent can do it, but the rule won't allow.
- Even the rule allows, your opponent still can't do it.

Even in sport, if you let your opponent's hand to punch on your face, that mean you don't have a good control on that arm. It's a good indicator that something is missing in the training. This is why in stand-up wrestling, the underhook is better than waist wrap (because underhook has better control on your opponent's arm).

IMO, to control your opponent's arms should be treated as the highest priority in grappling. In stand-up wrestling, more than 80% of the energy are spending on "grip fight". I assume the BJJ ground game should be similar - use 80% energy to create opportunity, use 20% energy to finish the game.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Positional

Dominance.

Why escape mount. It is so much hard work?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And the issue is still positional Dominance.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And the issue is still positional Dominance.
I believe the "side mount" can disable both of your opponent's arms.

side_mount.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Why break grips?​

- In stand-up wrestling, when you break your opponent's grips, you can take him down, but he cannot take you down.
- In ground game, I believe if you can break your opponent's grips, you can re-adjust your position and do your thing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's my approach for grips. I don't want yo break all grips. Some times I want the grip there so I can establish my own. Chin Na is well known for "You grab me. I grab you"

I don't always want to break the grip when some one grabs me. I rather establish control with my own grip. Even when I break the grip It's for the purpose of establishing my own. To be break the grip and escape the grip are two different things.

Based on what you post it makes me think that you are thinking escape the grip and not control the grip.

Grip prevent is like escape the grip on steroids. When I'm in that mindset I'm I'm not looking to establish my grip. I'm looking to deny my opponent's grip.

Real life example Tony tried to establish a clinch. I used circling hands to deny the grip without establishing my own.

Tony tries to establish a clinch and I place the palm of my hand under his jaw to control the head. His effort grab me is what allows me to grab him and keep my hand under his Jaw. I used his grip to establish my own.

Escape/Deny
Control/Establish/Counter
Can be found in your techniques. Knowing which one to use and when is the tricky part is like everything."know when and where to use it"

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
More standing clinch work with punches. If you don't deal with that you start a boxing match with an automatic disadvantage.

Sign me up lol. Looks like Lei tai. But I can tell the difference with the striking. The hits where hard but I was expecting them to cause more damage than what the did. Not a put a put down. Just an observation.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The masks are pretty good. And allow for head butts.
This may be why I'm thinking that the punches aren't landing with force that they appear to be hitting with. The mask is absorbing that force which would have otherwise easily dazed them. But then again. I took a second look and noticed that most of the punching power being shown is just arm power.

It reminds me of trying to find a balance between maximum punching power and maximum grappling positioning. Go to far either direction and the risk of being in a position where it becomes difficult to do either striking or punching.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Although, in the context of sport grappling, you can often use the opponent's grip to set up something, such as lapel-based wristlocks.
This is more along of where I am mentally. If someone grabs you then make them pay for grabbing, you. Do it enough and well enough they will start to get anxiety about grabbing you. If the result of me grabbing a lapel is that you use the lapel or a grib to punish me for grabbing a lapel then I won't be willing to grab that lapel.