BJJ questions

Drumslam

White Belt
Reaction score
I used to do Muay Thai many years ago but had to stop because of wrist pain from the striking ( I have tendinitis in my wrists). I’m a full time musician so I have to be careful to not mess up my wrists. I’ve been looking into bjj for self defense and exercise. Is bjj a good alternative to Muay Thai and safer for my wrists?

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi
BJJ is pretty easy on the wrists
If you’re a musician and need your fingers then I’d suggest focusing on no gi BJJ as the gi can take it’s toll on your fingers
D

OP
D

Drumslam

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi
BJJ is pretty easy on the wrists
If you’re a musician and need your fingers then I’d suggest focusing on no gi BJJ as the gi can take it’s toll on your fingers
D
I’m a drummer so I don’t use my fingers in the same way as a guitar player would. But I still need agile, flexible fingers. I’m not sure if the local place does no gi classes. So if they don’t, do you have any advice about how I can protect my fingers if I have to take a class where they wear a gi?

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably you'll be OK as a drummer, I know some guitar players who've switched to no gi for that reason which is why I mentioned it
You can totally protect your fingers by letting go of a grip whenever you realise your partner is about to aggressively remove it
Takes a bit of awareness but if you do focus on it early on it becomes a habit and it'll save your fingers from most of the wear and tear

Latest Discussions