Who's Taekwondo on this Board – Rank, Years?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RCastillo said:
My job now is to keep an eye on JFarnsworth, and keep him in check! :uhyeah:

You'd better be keeping a real close eye :) . Been hitting the gym twice a day and kenpo at night. I've been trying to bike on saturday or sunday when I can. Last sat. I put 30miles on the bike.
:partyon:

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lets see! I started in 1980, at the age of 13, and am currently a 6th dan. Classical Chung Do Kwan & Oh Do Kwan(original I.T.F.) Also have a black belt in HapkiDo(Started "87") Muay thai(started "91"). Doing more weapons training these day's. Mithios

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
kwanjang said:
Fantastic TigerWoman. Although I teach Hap Ki Do (54 years now), and I probably have no business in this thread, I most certainly admire you for your tenacity and courage. Many more years to ya:)

Thank you. I only wish I had started TKD even a decade or two earlier! But it does keep me "younger" than most my age. I hope I have a few years left, God willing, and maybe more if I can take out the jumping aspect. :asian:

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
NW Boiler said:
TigerWoman....... I am smitten! :) I bow to you and your ability to persevere!!!!

I certainly don't deserve all that, but I'll take your encouragement, thank you. My master has not exactly cut me any breaks. I have been trying to do the same break, a multiple jump for a YEAR and trained for a year before. Isn't there a saying, "Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win and never quit are idiots." Been feeling like one, lately. But you made me smile. :kiss:
I will live to fight another day (do my break-Monday!!!!)

L

LIONHEART

Hi Tigerwoman, great thread, I'm relatively new to Taekwon Do, been doing it for about 11 months and am currently a yellow belt (8th gu) going for green stripe in 2 weeks (studying ITF btw).

Im also currently doing Tai chi (there is no rank but have been doing it on and off for about a year), Hold a white belt in Kobujitsu (was green belt but stopped 6 years ago and just started again), and doing knife fighting from Amok and Systema and Eskrido. (yes I train to much I know heheh)

Ive been in the MA since I was 6 and hold various colour ranks in Kung Fu, Ju Jitsu, Ninjitsu, Capoeira, Shotokan and Goju Ryu Karate and have had experience in Boxing and Kick Boxing.

Yours inMA LIONHEART

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well LIONHEART why havent you stayed with one Art, that way you can come to have more of a understanding of that true Art.... God Bless America

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interestingly, even as a 14-15-16 year old student, I remember how obsessed I was with practicing. The other kids my age approached Tae Kwon Do more as recreation, and often didn't take it that seriously. I was so happy to be practicing Tae Kwon Do that I wanted to do everything. Basics, forms, kicking, sparring, it didn't matter. I wanted to do it all. I was usually one of the first to arrive and the last to leave.

L

LIONHEART

Hey terryl965 I often ask myself the same question and in hindsight wish I could take some years back to do it over, not that I regret what Ive experienced just that I wish Ide acheived a level of mastery before moving on.

Then again some of the arts I have had to stop due to injury and some I stopped due to genuine lack of care or full respect for the art in accordance with myself.

At the moment I am cross training because I enjoy the different cultures as well as arts and teachers, I feel I can learn more from all than 1 and they compliment each other really well I especially suggest the Fillipino Arts, I feel cross training gives me a greater understanding of myself as well as my arts.

Yours in MA LIONHEART

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LIONHEART said:
Hey terryl965 I often ask myself the same question and in hindsight wish I could take some years back to do it over, not that I regret what Ive experienced just that I wish Ide acheived a level of mastery before moving on.

Then again some of the arts I have had to stop due to injury and some I stopped due to genuine lack of care or full respect for the art in accordance with myself.

At the moment I am cross training because I enjoy the different cultures as well as arts and teachers, I feel I can learn more from all than 1 and they compliment each other really well I especially suggest the Fillipino Arts, I feel cross training gives me a greater understanding of myself as well as my arts.

Yours in MA LIONHEART
Well Lionhart I hope your training is beneficial to you. I apploud out loud your ability to cross train, I wish I was able to do that but my mind can only learn one system at a time, I fully enjoy TKD all the conditioning and the self defense (old school) and my kid enjoy the sport aspect of TKD. Kindess regard give them Hell God Bless America

R

ronnie_au

Hello all. I've only been at this about a month and a half. But I'm testing for my yellow belt this weekend. I am usually one of the first to get there and the last to leave, which I think has helped me grasp the basics very quickly. After our classes on monday and wedensday we have about an hour before the Jujisu class starts and we have the rest of the evening on thursdays which we usually use to continue practicing . It's WTF Tae Kwon Do, btw.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
ronnie_au said:
Hello all. I've only been at this about a month and a half. But I'm testing for my yellow belt this weekend.

Ah, LELLO belt. I would wish you good luck, but you probably don't need any. Just enjoy the experience and of course, do your best. My master always liked form slow but cadenced and showing alot of power. When I tested, funny I was just thinking about testing as a white belt today, there were alot of belts in front of me and I was at the back of the huge room. I think the master forgot I was there. Everytime one of the colored belts did something wrong, we ALL had to do the form over again. Well, six times later I was exhausted because I had really learned to show power with my form. Then, at the end, my master noticed that I was getting fried and he gave us ALL a five minute break. Yours probably won't be like this, it usually isn't repeated SIX times but... Enjoy, you are into your journey now.
TW

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm a 1st dan, been practicing since 1996. I got my 1st Dan in 2000, and if I had stayed at the McDojang that I got it at, I'd be 3rd by now. Luckily, I found an excellent teacher who actually knows what he's doing. Oh yeah, did I mention I'm also taking a full college courseload and 3 other MAs? Stupid hobbies - why do they have to be so interesting? ^_^

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
I'm a 1st dan, been practicing since 1996. I got my 1st Dan in 2000, and if I had stayed at the McDojang that I got it at, I'd be 3rd by now. Luckily, I found an excellent teacher who actually knows what he's doing. Oh yeah, did I mention I'm also taking a full college courseload and 3 other MAs? Stupid hobbies - why do they have to be so interesting? ^_^

I got my 1st Dan, WTF, in 2001 and tested last year for 2nd Dan. I have to wait three more years until 2006, if I was to test for 3rd. If you don't mind me asking, if you had such a poor opinion of his teaching, why did you stay there so long to get something you just discounted as a McDojang? It sounds like you just made your effort to be a worthless black belt. I hope not. I have had trouble with my master/instructor but he is a good teacher. I respect him for that. Hope your new teacher will gain your respect and make your black belt more meaningful. TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
Oh yeah, did I mention I'm also taking a full college courseload and 3 other MAs? Stupid hobbies - why do they have to be so interesting? ^_^

So, :idunno:
How do you stay proficient even at one? :asian:

E

elcajon555

2nd degree black belt(as of recently, I passed my 2nd degree test on june 5th 2004 woohoo) I joined my school in february of 1998.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
elcajon555 said:
2nd degree black belt(as of recently, I passed my 2nd degree test on june 5th 2004 woohoo) I joined my school in february of 1998.

CONGRATS! I was wondering since I knew you were going to test again soon. Best Wishes. TW

A

Anna Bastiaans

Started at age 15, have been practicing WTF Taekwondo for 11 years. Currently hold a 3-rd Dan degree. Started in Israel, tested for my Dans there as well, currently living and training in Holland (temporary) for the last 3 years.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
elcajon555 said:

CONGRATS

Latest Discussions