Who's Taekwondo on this Board – Rank, Years?

L

Littledragon

TigerWoman said:
We haven't posted anything like this. The Kenpo people have WAY overmanned us. Wouldn't be good in a fight. :goop:

Anyway, mostly for people looking and perhaps joining us....please list yourself, your rank, years in, when you joined Taekwondo, please.

:partyon:
I started Tae Kwon Do at age 6 and have been doing it for close to 11 years now. I am 16 and currently a 3rd degree black belt testing for 4th soon and a Tae Kwon Do champion.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you test for 4th Dan as a 16 year old? In WTF, you must be at least 24 to test for 4th Dan, usually older. I think 16 is pushing it for 3rd Dan. I'm not sure how it is with other organizations (ITF, ATA etc.), but most legitimate organizations have pretty strict guidelines regarding age for Dan ranks. Because we don't want 16 year old 4th Dans running around.
Isn't 16 year old 4th Dans one of the definitions of a McDojang?

L

Littledragon

MichiganTKD said:
How do you test for 4th Dan as a 16 year old? In WTF, you must be at least 24 to test for 4th Dan, usually older. I think 16 is pushing it for 3rd Dan. I'm not sure how it is with other organizations (ITF, ATA etc.), but most legitimate organizations have pretty strict guidelines regarding age for Dan ranks. Because we don't want 16 year old 4th Dans running around.

Not our school we are the number 1 Tae Kwon Do school in Maryland and the 3rd best in the United States.
http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15290
www.wtkdm.com

Also it is not true you have to be 24 to be 4th dan in WTF. The Kukiwon are the one's who approve your black belt applications.

D

Disco

From the Kukkiwon Web Site. Note the remarks section below

Poom/Dan Minimum Time
Required for Promotion Age Limits for Promotion
Start from Dan Start from Poom
1st Poom N A N A Less than 15 Years Old
1st to 2nd Pom 1 year N A Less than 15 Years Old
2nd to 3rd Poom 2 years N A Less than 15 Years Old
3rd to 4th Poom 3 years N A Less than 18 Years Old
1st Dan N A 15 years and above N A
1st to 2nd Dan 1 year 16 years and above 15 years and above
2nd to 3rd Dan 2 years 18 years and above 15 years and above
3rd to 4th Dan 3 years 21 years and above 18 years and above
4th to 5th Dan 4 years 25 years and above 22 years and above
5th to 6th Dan 5 years 30 years and above 30 years and above
6th to 7th Dan 6 years 36 years and above 36 years and above
7th to 8th Dan 8 years 44 years and above 44 years and above
8th to 9th Dan 9 years 53 years and above 53 years and above
9th to 10th Dan N A 60 years and above 60 years and above

* Remarks:
(1) All applicants should have passed the minimum time and age required for promotion.
(2) One who started from Poom may have the privilege of test application with shortened time limits
until 5th Dan promotion.

2) 1st,2nd,3rd Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, is the same grade of Dan holder.
(4th Poom holder, being 18 years of age or above, is the same as 4th Dan holder)
*1st, 2nd, 3rd Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, can have the Dan Certificates when they
want to change their Poom certificates. (4th Poom holder, being 18 years of age or above, can
change the 4th Dan certificate)

3) When 1st, 2nd, 3rd Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, want to be promoted to the next
higher Dan,
he or she can be applied Dan promotion test. However, 3rd Poom holder who is 18 years of age
and above can be applied 4th Dan and under 18 years of age can be applied 4th Poom.

L

Littledragon

Disco said:
From the Kukkiwon Web Site. Note the remarks section below

Poom/Dan Minimum Time
Required for Promotion Age Limits for Promotion
Start from Dan Start from Poom
1st Poom N A N A Less than 15 Years Old
1st to 2nd Pom 1 year N A Less than 15 Years Old
2nd to 3rd Poom 2 years N A Less than 15 Years Old
3rd to 4th Poom 3 years N A Less than 18 Years Old
1st Dan N A 15 years and above N A
1st to 2nd Dan 1 year 16 years and above 15 years and above
2nd to 3rd Dan 2 years 18 years and above 15 years and above
3rd to 4th Dan 3 years 21 years and above 18 years and above
4th to 5th Dan 4 years 25 years and above 22 years and above
5th to 6th Dan 5 years 30 years and above 30 years and above
6th to 7th Dan 6 years 36 years and above 36 years and above
7th to 8th Dan 8 years 44 years and above 44 years and above
8th to 9th Dan 9 years 53 years and above 53 years and above
9th to 10th Dan N A 60 years and above 60 years and above

* Remarks:
(1) All applicants should have passed the minimum time and age required for promotion.
(2) One who started from Poom may have the privilege of test application with shortened time limits
until 5th Dan promotion.

2) 1st,2nd,3rd Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, is the same grade of Dan holder.
(4th Poom holder, being 18 years of age or above, is the same as 4th Dan holder)
*1st, 2nd, 3rd Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, can have the Dan Certificates when they
want to change their Poom certificates. (4th Poom holder, being 18 years of age or above, can
change the 4th Dan certificate)

3) When 1st, 2nd, 3rd Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, want to be promoted to the next
higher Dan,
he or she can be applied Dan promotion test. However, 3rd Poom holder who is 18 years of age
and above can be applied 4th Dan and under 18 years of age can be applied 4th Poom.
Yes you are right I am testing for 4th degree black belt, 4th poom. I said DAN which was a mistake.

T

TKD USA

MichiganTKD said:
I agree you are really to young to get no matter the age restrictions it really is a shame. I quit my old organization because I saw 6 year old black belts running around. I joined the USTU/WTF so that wouldn't happen and now there is a 16 year old that says he is going to test far 4th poom. Even though it's poom I still think that it is to much.

L

Littledragon

TKD USA said:
I agree you are really to young to get no matter the age restrictions it really is a shame. I quit my old organization because I saw 6 year old black belts running around. I joined the USTU/WTF so that wouldn't happen and now there is a 16 year old that says he is going to test far 4th poom. Even though it's poom I still think that it is to much.
Well just remember I have had over 11 years of training.

T

TKD USA

Well 11 years is good but I met some people with many years of training and some are good and some arent. From your photos you seem very good but i stick with my opininon about that being to high of a rank.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD USA said:
Well 11 years is good but I met some people with many years of training and some are good and some arent. From your photos you seem very good but i stick with my opininon about that being to high of a rank.

I agree as well. There has to be some sort of maturity that takes place once achieving adulthood. There are far too many ego's to stroke out there & I for one don't stroke 'em. As far as someone starting when they are 6 each individual would have started out in the little dragon program. After becoming of age or appropriate rank (if you will) then the individual would have been promoted into the junior class. Once getting involved in the junior class then they would have to learn more to each belt curriculum. After becoming of age again then the individual would be put in the adults program will a strict set of requirements for each belt. If the individual received a black at each level they could keep it however before going into the next level they must be proficient at each colored belt level in each of the little dragon, junior, then adult program. No one would reach any multiple degree of black under my watch.

L

Littledragon

Remember the Kukiwon approves if you are ready to become a black belt so the Kukiwon has approved everything for me, I did not send my 4th poom application yet but I have been a 3rd degree black belt for more than 3 years.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very interesting. You have been a third black since 13? Again, I will defend my position and say that is way tooooooooooooooooooooo young. That's my opinion and I will keep that my opinion until the day I die. :asian:

L

Littledragon

jfarnsworth said:
Very interesting. You have been a third black since 13? Again, I will defend my position and say that is way tooooooooooooooooooooo young. That's my opinion and I will keep that my opinion until the day I die. :asian:
All I can tell you is that skill proves everything and the Kukiwon approved the application my Master sent as well. They look at how many years you have been doing it not necessarily how old you are.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Littledragon said:
All I can tell you is that skill proves everything and the Kukiwon approved the application my Master sent as well.
I was not giving you some personal attack here, just giving my opinion.

They look at how many years you have been doing it not necessarily how old you are
I've been in various martial arts for almost 15 yrs. if I had stayed in the TKD from the beginning should I then be 5th? From my first TKD instructor I was always informed that 4th degree was master status. If you look at tournaments it's 1-3 & 4th up was the master division. I'm no where near even close to any master stage at all. My skills are good but I personally don't think I'm ready for 3rd yet. There are many, many, many numerous things to learn from many people more technically sound.

L

Littledragon

jfarnsworth said:
I was not giving you some personal attack here, just giving my opinion.

I've been in various martial arts for almost 15 yrs. if I had stayed in the TKD from the beginning should I then be 5th? From my first TKD instructor I was always informed that 4th degree was master status. If you look at tournaments it's 1-3 & 4th up was the master division. I'm no where near even close to any master stage at all. My skills are good but I personally don't think I'm ready for 3rd yet. There are many, many, many numerous things to learn from many people more technically sound.
I did not take it as an attack I am not that kind of person ;) Anyway I see where you are coming from and I would feel the same if I was in your posistion. I do not like how the Kukiwon and the WTF in its recent money laundering scandal trys to make money any wasy possible but as long as they certify me I can be called a certified legitimate 4th degree black belt or what so ever the rank may be.

Tarek ;)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Littledragon said:
I did not take it as an attack I am not that kind of person
Good, I'm glad to hear that as I wasn't trying to degrade you personally.

Anyway I see where you are coming from and I would feel the same if I was in your posistion. I do not like how the Kukiwon and the WTF in its recent money laundering scandal trys to make money any wasy possible...
One of the many reasons I left the TKD system.

but as long as they certify me I can be called a certified legitimate 4th degree black belt or what so ever the rank may be
I seen you quote Mr. Ed Parker Sr. here somewhere so I'm going to leave you with some others.

Orange Belt saying #5 - One becomes humble when he comes to the realization that what he knows is very little.

Green Belt saying #3 - Although belt colors show, it is no proof that you know.

3rd Brown saying #2 - What is truth for one may not be truth for another. The real truth for both lies in the moment of actual combat.

Lastly:

1st Black saying #10 - It is not important how long you have been IN the arts, but how long you have been AT it.

Best of luck in your training. :asian: :asian: :asian:

L

Littledragon

jfarnsworth said:
Good, I'm glad to hear that as I wasn't trying to degrade you personally.

One of the many reasons I left the TKD system.

I seen you quote Mr. Ed Parker Sr. here somewhere so I'm going to leave you with some others.

Orange Belt saying #5 - One becomes humble when he comes to the realization that what he knows is very little.

Green Belt saying #3 - Although belt colors show, it is no proof that you know.

3rd Brown saying #2 - What is truth for one may not be truth for another. The real truth for both lies in the moment of actual combat.

Lastly:

1st Black saying #10 - It is not important how long you have been IN the arts, but how long you have been AT it.

Best of luck in your training. :asian: :asian: :asian:
Great quotes, thank you. ;)

Tarek

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
Previously in our school, we had a second dan at 14. He had been in TKD since 6 also. He came all the time, and was very talented. However my master would not let him advance/test to 3rd until he became 18. He had little patience and left after a couple of years.

Littledragon, when did you test originally for 1st Dan? My master does test the younger ones, but they have to be ten years old when they test for Recommended BB. Even at adult requirements for time involved-- after age 10 1/2 he would have had to wait until at least two years to get to 2nd dan-12 1/2 yrs. Then he would have to wait three years until testing for 3rd, then five years until 4th dan. He would be 20 1/2 years and had put in since age 6, 14 1/2 years.

A ten year old just tested yesterday. A child under 12, breaks half boards but they have to do all the same requirements as adults. He had to palm strike 3 boards, knife while holding the board in one hand, jump spin heel break with two finger hold, 360° jump back kick through 2 boards. That's only half the requirements for board breaking because there are 4 more for 2nd dan and a new BB test in 6 months. This little guy only did the 360 jbk, he will have to complete the rest.

You would be a little too young for most adults, in TKD or not, to accept as a 4th poom/dan at 16. Mostly because there is a alot more to TKD beside technique, it takes maturity in life experience to be a master and teacher in my opinion. But you are way ahead of us, as that can be gained with time and wisdom. Just keep focused and on the road. Best wishes. TW

L

Littledragon

TigerWoman said:
Hi y'all,
Previously in our school, we had a second dan at 14. He had been in TKD since 6 also. He came all the time, and was very talented. However my master would not let him advance/test to 3rd until he became 18. He had little patience and left after a couple of years.

Littledragon, when did you test originally for 1st Dan? My master does test the younger ones, but they have to be ten years old when they test for Recommended BB. Even at adult requirements for time involved-- after age 10 1/2 he would have had to wait until at least two years to get to 2nd dan-12 1/2 yrs. Then he would have to wait three years until testing for 3rd, then five years until 4th dan. He would be 20 1/2 years and had put in since age 6, 14 1/2 years.

A ten year old just tested yesterday. A child under 12, breaks half boards but they have to do all the same requirements as adults. He had to palm strike 3 boards, knife while holding the board in one hand, jump spin heel break with two finger hold, 360° jump back kick through 2 boards. That's only half the requirements for board breaking because there are 4 more for 2nd dan and a new BB test in 6 months. This little guy only did the 360 jbk, he will have to complete the rest.

You would be a little too young for most adults, in TKD or not, to accept as a 4th poom/dan at 16. Mostly because there is a alot more to TKD beside technique, it takes maturity in life experience to be a master and teacher in my opinion. But you are way ahead of us, as that can be gained with time and wisdom. Just keep focused and on the road. Best wishes. TW
I tested for blackbelt when I was around 8 1/2. I am a 4x international Tae Kwon Do champion and the Kukiwon has certified me as a 3rd degree.

Also I train under the 3rd best Tae Kwon Do school in the US www.wtkdm.com and the #1 TKD school in Maryland so I have learned under the TOP instruction for Tae Kwon Do.

T

TKD USA

Littledragon said:
I am a 4x international Tae Kwon Do champion.
Really? Wow! Which medals have you won and at what tournaments have you won them from

L

Littledragon

TKD USA said:
Really? Wow! Which medals have you won and at what tournaments have you won them from
2x Pan Ameircan Open International Champion
Blackbelt USA International Champion
Fort Worth International Blackbelt Champion