Who's Nastier?

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
In response to

That is a game I play while I go through the forums, which liberal poster insults a conservative poster first. Play it yourself and you will see the more liberal side of the posts tend to fire off the insults first, as well as the ones I consider the "intellectual" conservatives. Play the game and win big prizes, the hearty handshake, the pat on the back and the warm glow of victory.

Little old data geek me just had to find out. So I looked at 20 (I know it's not a huge sample) threads in the Study where somebody resorted to a personal attack. I gave a "point" to the first person to do so in any given thread.

Personal attacks included outright name-calling, accusing another forum member of lying and what I'd term "weaselling" -- making a statement to the board as a whole meant very clearly as a slap in the face to one particular member.

Turns out it's pretty even. Liberals came in at 11, Conservatives 9. It's also worth noting that, of the 20, 16 were from the same three people. On the qualitative side, Libs seemed to be more about calling names, while Cons seemed to trend toward attacking a person's morals or intelligence.

Seems like a pretty good microcosm of US politics as a whole. A few strident people get worked up and make it feel hostile for a lot.

As side thing I found was that, while the Libs were a little ahead on the first personal attack front, the Cons were overwhelmingly more likely to start a thread attacking Liberals in general (which isn't a personal attack, exactly). Of the 20 threads, 11 opened with a "dig" at the other side, and 7 of those were started by a self-professed conservative.

But you know what? In 2006, when Bush was in power, the exact opposite was true. It's the privilege -- and the responsibility -- of the minority position to keep the majority power honest.

Anyway, I found it interesting.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL

you pretty much proved my suspicions.

can I say I Loff You without getting beaten down?

:D

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good start, I'd like to see more and more detail, I know that isn't your job but it info. like that might go a ways to cleaning up the insults on the study.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best way to clean things up?

People act like mature adults.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just wait, Bob.I think it's only going to get worse......
Naw, we're considering going to a 3 warning, lose study access for 30 days policy. 1st time is 30 days, 2nd is 60, 3rd is permanent. This is a 3-warning, not 3-infraction, like the current policy. 2012 is going to be a hotbed, and we really don't feel like repeating 2008. I might ban myself early just to be safe.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Naw, we're considering going to a 3 warning, lose study access for 30 days policy. 1st time is 30 days, 2nd is 60, 3rd is permanent. This is a 3-warning, not 3-infraction, like the current policy. 2012 is going to be a hotbed, and we really don't feel like repeating 2008. I might ban myself early just to be safe.

ROFLMAO!!!

you crack me up!!
:lfao:

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Oh, the threat!! :p

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best way to clean things up?

People act like mature adults.

Since I have no doubt that I figure prominently in the OP's sample, I would like to offer my defense.

I refuse to be Charlie Brown winding up to kick that football, hoping that this time the person I'm responding to will discuss something in good faith. If someone has shown themselves to be disingenuous or impervious to reason and evidence, I'm going to treat them as such.

Similarly, I refuse to accord the same respect and consideration I would show to our more honorable members to someone who has shown themselves to be a shameless liar or otherwise not deserving of that respect. It's an insult to our posters who work hard to present themselves well.

If someone is lying, I'm going to call them a liar. It's not an insult, it's an accurate characterization. If you act without integrity, I will treat you as such. If that makes me a child, so be it, but I just won't pretend that everyone here acts the same in a decent manner and deserves endless chances as if I can't remember how they acted in another thread 10 minutes ago.

OP
B

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fair enough, Empty Hands. Although I'd like to offer a contrary position forwarded by one of my original senseis.

"It's not about how they act. It's about how you act." Why would you let poor research and questionable behavior on the part of others control the way you behave? Are they really worth giving them so much control over your head space?

I don't mean to come down like I'm all high and mighty -- I've been guilty of it too. But it's worth thinking about, yes?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am, without a doubt, the move villainous git ever to appear in the hallowed halls of MT. And anyone who says different is a very bad person indeed. Not worse than me, of course.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I am, without a doubt, the move villainous git ever to appear in the hallowed halls of MT. And anyone who says different is a very bad person indeed. Not worse than me, of course.

You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity. At some time, every creature which lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow, the defeat of creation; this is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life. Everywhere in the universe."
— Philip K. Dick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a perceived difference between these 2 statements:
"I think you're wrong"
and
"You're a ****ing liar."

Also, one of these two statements will express disbelief, the other generate a report and a warning:
"I disagree with your position and find it hard to believe your data"
vs
"You're ****ing crazy, you know that?"

Mind you, I'm as guilty as anyone else at times, but I recognize it and try not to provoke people often. Some folks give the impression that's what they live for. Not going to fly in the future here.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's real simple, folks.

Despite what some people, here and elsewhere, seem to think, it is absolutely possible to disagree vehemently with someone, argue with them -- and not be an *** about it.

Wanna call someone a liar without being the *******? Show the truth, and leave it at that.

Think someone is small-minded or bigoted? Let 'em open their mouths and prove it without you saying word.

And... for a novel idea... remember that Martial Talk is just a friggin' message board. The way some folks act, you'd think that we need to keep them on opposite sides of the fracking planet because if they get together, it's gonna be a duel like matter & anti-matter meeting. If someone really pisses you off that much -- use the ignore button. It's free, y'know? And it'll keep your blood pressure down.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is a perceived difference between these 2 statements:
"I think you're wrong"
and
"You're a ****ing liar."

Also, one of these two statements will express disbelief, the other generate a report and a warning:
"I disagree with your position and find it hard to believe your data"
vs
"You're ****ing crazy, you know that?"

Mind you, I'm as guilty as anyone else at times, but I recognize it and try not to provoke people often. Some folks give the impression that's what they live for. Not going to fly in the future here.

I'm asking this rhetorically, but is there no way to call someone out about lying, or being some form of disingenuous, without risking the irk of the Ban-Hammer? I realize that "You shameless, lying little ****", while amusing to hear, is inflamatory. But it seems to me that there would be acceptable means of addressing deceiptful conduct aside from just the "Ignore" button.

Edit: Yeah, teaches me to post before reading the whole thread. My apologies, jks, didn't mean to ignore your post. :eek:

Latest Discussions