Who designed the Kukkiwon poomse?

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Buh? Heel palm block isn't knife hand.

Er, heel palm? The Taegeuks use palm block (which look like knife hand I guess, sorry ^~^), but they don't use any heel palm.

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm pressed for time so I'll look over this all more later. Thanks again for all the help.
My two cents real fast:
Every block is indeed a strike and vice-versa. We also have to realize that the motions between motions (ie, the setup for blocks and punches and such) can be easily used for deflections. Really, any motion can do anything. That's really another rant for later though.

^~^

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Er, heel palm? The Taegeuks use palm block (which look like knife hand I guess, sorry ^~^), but they don't use any heel palm.

You use the heel of your palm to block, thus heel palm block.

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You use the heel of your palm to block, thus heel palm block.

Er, not the way I was taught. I was taught that the block is done with the flat part of the palm. I was taught the same way by two very different masters. But all schools do things differently. I like it being that way. In the words of my instructor, "It's like jaz." ^~^

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Every block is a strike only if correctly trained as such. Just saying it doesn't make it so.

Well to block something means to get in it's way and take the force. In Taekwondo - like most styles - what are called blocks are techniques used to strike an attack out of the way, rather than take the force. If we were to literally block we would be putting our arms up and directly letting them get hit. I've never quite seen a school that does that.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now this is me talkiing I know it is a block but I was also tought that all block are suppose to cause damamge because a block is a strike and a parray is a deflection.

Sometimes a punch is just a punch, a kick is just a kick and a block is just a block. :)