Who designed the Kukkiwon poomse?

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know how the palque forms were designed. But I'd like to know - if possible - which masters of the Kukkiwon put together the Taegeuk poomse. And for that matter, who designed the black belt poomse which continue today? I know there are nine black belt forms, and nine original kwans, so did each kwan design a form?

Er, thanks! ^~^

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know exactly who made what, but I have been told that the first three taegeuk poomse are made by the same man. That explains why they are all so similar.

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The palgue forms were designed by the original nine kwans. For each of the eight poomse, three different kwans designed a section of it. For example, Palque one could have been designed by kwans 1, 2, and 3 and palgue two could have been designed by kwans 2, 4, and 8.

The first three Taequeks are very similar, and for good reason. The Taegeuk forms were made in part to structure techniques better, so that each form flows into the next one.

Just for the sake of history, I would really like to know which masters put the forms together. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
for a guy who studies a korean art,, so sure have a problem with korean.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
for a guy who studies a korean art,, so sure have a problem with korean.

Remember he does American TKD that is totally different from KKW or WTF, wew all must walk down our own path and do what is best for us in the long run, even Joon Rhee calls his American TKD so does it matter in the long run.

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Palque forms are very Shotokany. The Taegeuk forms were designed for the following reasons (at least in part... or something...):
1. To separate Taekwondo from it's Japanese roots
2. To make the forms more "rapid" and "realistic"
3. To structure techniques so that each form builds it's way into the next

If only I knew who done it. ~_~

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Palque forms are very Shotokany. The Taegeuk forms were designed for the following reasons (at least in part... or something...):

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner. Statement number 3 is very correct. Each form builds from the previous. Each form always starts with a defensive move as TKD is said to be a defensive art. Note each form always starts with a block first.

I will try to find out from my Grandmaster who designed them as he came from Kukkiwon.

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
DING DING DING!!! We have a winner. Statement number 3 is very correct. Each form builds from the previous. Each form always starts with a defensive move as TKD is said to be a defensive art. Note each form always starts with a block first.

I will try to find out from my Grandmaster who designed them as he came from Kukkiwon.
Well number four and number seven start with knife hands, but you point is right. And thanks for the inquiry with your master, appreciated!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well number four and number seven start with knife hands, but you point is right. And thanks for the inquiry with your master, appreciated!
Correct, knife hand block, not strike.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Buh? Heel palm block isn't knife hand.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Buh? Heel palm block isn't knife hand.
For Chil Jang you are correct but it is a block. Oh and before anyone else states it, Sa Jang starts with double knife hand block. The point was to explain that all forms start with a defensive blocking move, not to rehash the exact moves.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For Chil Jang you are correct but it is a block. Oh and before anyone else states it, Sa Jang starts with double knife hand block. The point was to explain that all forms start with a defensive blocking move, not to rehash the exact moves.

You know somebody will say someting be prepared?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now this is me talkiing I know it is a block but I was also tought that all block are suppose to cause damamge because a block is a strike and a parray is a deflection.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score

You could try Master Lee Jong-woo as a resource. He was in the WTF at the time of the Palgue-TaeGuek switch.

R. McLain

Latest Discussions