Where did the real Karate go?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Sadly true, gentlemen. Maybe, in the Dojos, there should be extra classes to sign up for that teach that way, for those that want to. If not, just as I've seen, Home/garage/park sessions for smaller, select groups?

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you have the funds and really want that type of training, you can still go to Okinawa and get that old style training. There of course are also those type of dojo's in Japan and Korea. If your thing is Chinese there are many school there as well.
You can find some dojo that teach that way here in the US. But, usually they are not in the yellow pages and you have to be recomended by one of their students. That type of training goes on heart and self discipline. Sadly, the reason that traditional martial arts have in recent years been viewed as impractical for real self defense is that those school are few and far between and are hard to find.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
true hat traditionhas been replaced w/ flash. it is because there are people out there that want to see more then slow tradition, they want speed and stuff they think is cool

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
true hat traditionhas been replaced w/ flash. it is because there are people out there that want to see more then slow tradition, they want speed and stuff they think is cool
That's true, unfortunately...
The question remains, though, how can we get away from just that?

Seeking Zen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I thought about this subject for quite a while and I think that the " real karate" started to disapear when instructors decided to go completely commercial and make their living from karate teaching.
They had to modifiy their teaching to fit the general public. Couldn't keep too many students if they were exposed to the brutality of training for "real, old style karate". The training is extremely rough. I remember going home nightly with bruises, pain everywhere. I loved the training, but did not like the recovery. I think that the in general the public has gotten used to being pampered and do not like the thought of that type of training. Those of use that do appreciate that type of karate are few and far between.

Thanks for pointing out the "bruises and pain everywhere", I have always got something. I was starting to think it was me. Other MA I interact with at work are always coming in with medals and talking about this weekends tournament...while I seem to always be recovering from class. It is rare that we participate in tournaments 3-4 times /year tops. My Sensei is not a fan and puts very little stock or time in tournaments or preparation there of.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pleae look up the word Martial in the dictionary , Andrew . True Kata , is not theatrical , you are practicing life protection skills . Your reply indicates , that you do not understand Kata , & might as well be dancing , or perhaps gymnastics , because that is the garbage that is at todays tournaments . It makes me sick !
Mark , it would take much more than us to start a new circuit . If we could get more people involved , it might work out . I have'nt competed in years , & most of the people I train w/ dont compete anymore , or never competed at all .
I'm getting to the point , where it's nothing but a waste of time , & money to compete . Tournaments these days cost sooo much money , all it's good for , is to make the promoters pockets fat . My Karate now , is for me . Not for anyone else . I dont need somone who has no clue as to what I'm doin , or any clue as to the bunkai of the kata , to tell me if i'm doin the kata right , or wrong . As far as the fighting is concerned it's a joke ! If they would try that game of tag on the street , they would get hurt . For kids , tournaments are ok , because it helps build their confidence , etc . But , as adults their nothing more than a waste of time ! I'd much rather spend my money on training , or taking my wife to a movie , or something , than goin to a cirus like that !

David

I have to agree that the turnements you see on ESPN and even out there in citys are getting to where if you are not a gymnest with an aluminum kama that is over sized bladed and dull so it could not cut butter.. or a carbon fiber 1/4" thick 2 oz bo.. and look like a majorett twerling her batton they do not seem to do well. I detest what i have seen along that lines. It is a real shame that a really well done kata of the old traditional and efficent and effective technique type is aparently not even recognized as it does not look like something out of the bad old movie "gymkata"

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Over the past several years I have seen real Karate replaced with acrobatics, loud screaming, (not to be confused with kiai) bad sportsmanship, arrogant instructors or coaches and deplorable conduct by parents.

The weapons forms have become extremely flashy. Real weapons have been replaced with garbage. The Bo Staff replaced with giant super light weight tooth picks. Chinese Swords replaced with flexible tin of some sort.

No matter how good you are with the weapon it’s the back flips and other non related theatrics that gets the win.
My concern is that people cannot separate showmanship from real defensive techniques. I have seen self defense demonstrations that would get you killed if you tried that crap on the streets. When entering into a self defense category of a tournament, the legitimate self defense will always lose to the theatrical stuff. Will we ever return to the real deal again?

"Bring n the barf bags."

It ran off to missouri, in Independence to be exact under the guidence of a master known as Taik Seiyu Oyata ;-)
--Josh

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ask the countless Sokes that have popped up, they surely must know.

(You all know I'm being sarcastic right?) :angel:

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If tournaments stressed effectiveness over entertainment they would be worth participating in. I don't take karate to entertain myself or others (I stay entertained as a by-product of training). "Movie Jitsu" has gotten way out of hand. I hope none of these champions and medalists get jumped in the parking lot!

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If tournaments stressed effectiveness over entertainment they would be worth participating in. I don't take karate to entertain myself or others (I stay entertained as a by-product of training). "Movie Jitsu" has gotten way out of hand. I hope none of these champions and medalists get jumped in the parking lot!

Although, it might be what they need to see that they can't fight. As long as the incident doesn't result in serious or permanent injury or even worse death.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I win all kinds of tournaments with my triple-somersault-spinning jumping-jacks.

LOL!! the scarry part is that it provably would win as gymnastics seem to be more important to some of the people involved then any martial aplication or usefullness in self defence or any other kind of aplication in an altercation.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score

yep, if they do I think, enless they are hideing some real ability to use the unmodified techniques from the old kata, that they will get their head handed to them.

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
ya know...i actually ehar that it's rare to find a very legit karate dojo in America since there are so many Mcdojos around....so oyu have to be careful about where oyu look...or that American karate is nothing like the way it is taught in Japan...same thing as judo....i dunno if this is true or not, jsut osmething i heard

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ya know...i actually ehar that it's rare to find a very legit karate dojo in America since there are so many Mcdojos around....so oyu have to be careful about where oyu look...or that American karate is nothing like the way it is taught in Japan...same thing as judo....i dunno if this is true or not, jsut osmething i heard

ti think that depends on the style of karate. the old style okinawan karate dojo's are more likely to be teaching the real thing in the same way as they are tought on okinawa. where i study is tought very much along the same lines as it is tought on okinawa its self. one of our brown belts about 4 years ago went to okinawa in the airforce. he went to Osensei's dojo and asked to train with him. he said " show me your kata and he did and the certificates too, and Osensei said " mmm, good kata, you are brown belt, you train here every week!"

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have decided to start a Frappr Map of people who desire to be thought of as Karateka, not sport Karate or anything like that, but Traditional Karate with the idea of Life Preservation at it's core. If that fits any of you please visit it and put up a tag. It is located at

http://www.frappr.com/karateamerica

I hope that people will be able to go to it to find a quality school and I will try to make sure no XMA or GymKarate styles get posted. If you happen to see a Dojo near you, go and visit and then let me know what you find, this way we can get a network of Traditional Dojo that want Old Karate Ways to endure.

sorry thought I should tell you could not get that link to open at all

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
Hey, I found it!
It's been hiding behind the couch the whole time!

sorry, couldnt resist.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, I found it!
It's been hiding behind the couch the whole time!

sorry, couldnt resist.

nope your wrong!! I just found it and it was hiding behind the washing machine! had a 5th of single malt single cask scotch too! :drinkbeer

ok..ok.. so sorry.. could not resist that come back tonight..... hot .. little sleep and all that :angel:

Latest Discussions