When recreational drugs are legal...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which is why we continue to have discussions. My hope is that those of you who don't agree that weed should be legal will see the light! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To return to my original comment: good luck with that hope.

It is all a moot point for me, anyway: my GF has swallowed the propaganda so deeply that even if it was legalized,
I wouldn't be allowed to partake:

"It's bad for you." End of story, as far as she is concerned.

Nevermind any and all data that would indicate that alcohol is worse; she grew up in a community where

booze = normal

while

pot = drugs -> drugs = bad for you.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is all a moot point for me, anyway: my GF has swallowed the propaganda so deeply that even if it was legalized,

Nevermind any and all data that would indicate that alcohol is worse; she grew up in a community where

booze = normal

while

But it is bad for you..as is cigarette smoking. Inhaling burning plant matter into your lungs is bad juju. Alcohol, in moderation is actually being shown to have beneficial health effects. Don't confuse "booze" with alcoholism or drinking so heavily that you damage your internal organs. The majority of people don't drink to get hammered.

Historically Beer was a safer alternative as beverage than the local water supplies and provided carbohydrates as nutrition. It's not called "liquid bread" for nothing. :)

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/how-beer-saved-the-world/

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
But it is bad for you..as is cigarette smoking. Inhaling burning plant matter into your lungs is bad juju. Alcohol, in moderation is actually being shown to have beneficial health effects. Don't confuse "booze" with alcoholism or drinking so heavily that you damage your internal organs. The majority of people don't drink to get hammered.

Historically Beer was a safer alternative as beverage than the local water supplies and provided carbohydrates as nutrition. It's not called "liquid bread" for nothing. :)

If I could grow it in my backyard like tomatoes, it would be economically feasible to bake it into brownies.

Scarcity caused by the war on drugs makes it costly enough that people feel that if they don't smoke it, they won't get the relaxing effect.

In other drug war news, some health professionals are beginning to state that the dangers of obesity outweigh the ill effects of some diet drugs.

So how do you all feel about amphetamines being prescribed to reduce obesity?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In other drug war news, some health professionals are beginning to state that the dangers of obesity outweigh the ill effects of some diet drugs.

So how do you all feel about amphetamines being prescribed to reduce obesity?

I cannot see how these two lines fit together.

Who are the health professionals?
What kind of statement did they make...was this a casual comment or a publication in a peer-reviewed journal?
What drugs, and which ill effects are in question?
How does this tie in to amphetamine prescriptions?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

There are studies that show that pot is good for you, too. Particularly if it's ingested by means other than smoking.

or, one could take that as more support for legalizing weed. Or, one could conclude that there is a justification for any thing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

booze = normal

while

Why would you want to? I guess that's one thing I will never understand why someone would even want to. Is your life so stressful you can't relax and have a good time without some drug or alcohol in your system

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why would you want to? I guess that's one thing I will never understand why someone would even want to. Is your life so stressful you can't relax and have a good time without some drug or alcohol in your system

Thats a completely different discussion, dad.

Why do people climb mountains or go skiing or eat candy or drink energy drinks? There are a billion ways to kill oneself slowly.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats a completely different discussion, dad.

Why do people climb mountains or go skiing or eat candy or drink energy drinks? There are a billion ways to kill oneself slowly.
I understand that its just a question I've never been able to figure out he said he would do it if legal I was just trying to understand why. Every drug addict I've met has wished they never started I think its strange so many people are chomping at the bit to try it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To try what? A beer?

Sure I thought we were discussing marijuana but OK beer. . Anything really that's sole purpose is to alter your mind. I drank when I was younger because I was young and thought I was supposed to I was a marine and all other marines drank so I did too. I never really like the taste or feeling and I haven't drank in a long time. Even when I was under cover at bars I buy beer to blend in hold it for a while walk off to the bathroom pour it out go buy another. Or set it down somewhere walk away and buy another so people thought I was drinking but I wasn't.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
K
Sure I thought we were discussing marijuana but OK beer. . Anything really that's sole purpose is to alter your mind. I drank when I was younger because I was young and thought I was supposed to I was a marine and all other marines drank so I did too. I never really like the taste or feeling and I haven't drank in a long time. Even when I was under cover at bars I buy beer to blend in hold it for a while walk off to the bathroom pour it out go buy another. Or set it down somewhere walk away and buy another so people thought I was drinking but I wasn't.

You mentioned alcohol. My wife doesn't drink. I do. She doesnt like the taste. I do. I can't understand why she likes soda. She doesn't know how I can sip on a glass of single malt neat. Different strokes for different folks.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but the subject at hand isn't whether or not you like alcohol (or weed our anything else). It's the pros and cons of legalization.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You mentioned alcohol. My wife doesn't drink. I do. She doesnt like the taste. I do. I can't understand why she likes soda. Different strokes got different folks.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but the subject at hand isn't whether or not you like alcohol (or weed our anything else).

I was asking zdom a simple question he said he wanted to try marijuana but his GF said no I simply asked why he would want to smoke marijuana if he doesn't already then why start. I didn't realize that was such a big deal to you to ask someone else a simple question I'm sorry.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was asking zdom a simple question he said he wanted to try marijuana but his GF said no I simply asked why he would want to smoke marijuana if he doesn't already then why start. I didn't realize that was such a big deal to you to ask someone else a simple question I'm sorry.

Sorry, i didn't realize it was a question just for zdom. figured that since it wasn't a PM, it was a question to the group. You asked a question, and then said it was something you'd never understand. I was just pointing out two things. One, you probably do things you know are unhealthy. And two, it uktimately doesn't matter if you understand.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, i didn't realize it was a question just for zdom. figured that since it wasn't a PM, it was a question to the group. You asked a question, and then said it was something you'd never understand. I was just pointing out two things. One, you probably do things you know are unhealthy. And two, it uktimately doesn't matter if you understand.

I quoted his post about his desire to try it when I asked the question sorry for the confusion thought it may be useful to see why he wants it legal if I knew why he wanted to try it. Maybe if it was compelling enough he might change my mind. I'm on the fence with marijuana anyway I'm more toward the keep it illegal side but I wouldn't be angry if it were made legal. We just changed our laws here to allow officers to issue a citation for under 10 grams wherebefore you had to be arrested booked and taken before a judicial officer. I like that it will save more of my time. Down side for pot smokers is where before the officer mighthave just tossed a joint and let you go because the time involved in the paperwork for a joint wasn't worth it well now I can issue you a citation get the credit for an arrest for my nightly stat sheet and it takes 30 man as opposed to 4 hours the old way.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think there are folks out there experienced enough with marijuana to know they might enjoy a toke or a brownie once in awhile instead of a glass or two of wine once in awhile....but dont partake dur to respect for the law wnd its consequences. I don't think it's so much about not being able to have fun without it, I think it's simply a matter of enjoying a drink or smoke and desiring the freedom to do so without risking arrest.

I went out hiking a few months ago. I was so exhausted when I got back to the car, I grabbed dinner from a drive-thru, took a shower, and passed out. Last month I was so invigorated I poured myself a glass of wine and cooked a meal of bison and fiddlehead greens in the cabin's fireplace. Did I need to have it? No, but I was sure enjoying the freedom to do so. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guess I'm too much of a control freak to want to take a mind altering substance. I like to be in total control just in case something happens I want to be ready to protect my wife and kids. I do see your point but the hiking and bison sound much better to me then a pot brownie

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then there is the issue of public image...many of the "pot heads" out there are not the best poster children for the legalization campaign. The whole "pot culture" is likely what's keeping that other half of our population from considering the issue.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pardon me while I attempt to frame a thought.

Its one thing to illegalize a widely used and popular item like alcohol..the prohibition. Which if I recall correctly had no penalty for personal use or possession, only manufacture and sale.

Its another matter to legalize a product that has been illegal for many years and, while used by many people, is not as socially prevalent as alcohol.

Don't really know where I'm going with this, but I think it may be relavent regarding why so many people still remain anti-pot as they sip their beer. :)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Trying it is on my bucket list, but I don't' expect to have that experience for several more years. I'm too young and active to have to pretend to have a back injury. ;)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh, I tried it. A LOT. When I was young I tried a lot of things.

And then I grew up and having a good job and a great girlfriend became a higher priority.

But every once in awhile I miss marijuana.

Here's a good example of when: at concerts. Sure, I can have $14 beers instead — but then I end up missing a good part of the show going to the restroom, using the restroom, returning to my seat.

And somebody in the group has to abstain completely.

I tried a lot of things and watched friends slide down into the pit of addiction to some of the things I tried. Apparently I am not the type who easily become addicted. Based on those observations and watching how various indulgences changed people I know:

I can back continued efforts against cocaine, crack, LDS/acid, methamphetamines, prescription drugs, magic mushrooms. In a truly free society, we should leave it up to the individual once they are of an age of being responsible for themselves. There are no truly free societies nor any place to establish one.

I don't need marijuana, nor alcohol. But I do enjoy being under the influence of either one of those drugs on an occasional basis. I wouldn't make either a lifestyle.

And I don't see how, if it were permitted, me growing a couple of plants in my backyard would affect anyone else on the planet or why it should be anyone else's business.

Some people don't understand why I like to eat hot peppers — and that's fine. But I don't appreciate people grouping together and deciding to jail me for what I can produce and consume in the privacy of my own home.

It is a bit scary to see how unreasonable people can get in defense of their views when their view includes supporting the enforcement of their preference over my right to the pursuit of happiness that in no direct way infringes on their freedoms — and with the full weight of the law behind them.

And sad.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions