What's your most controversial, non-political opinion?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Squeezing the toothpaste from the middle should be a felony.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Before my teacher's teacher GM Zhang Feng-Yan passed away, the last words that he told to my teacher was, "MA is 1 狠 (Hen) - vicious, 2 毒 (Du) - poison, 3 要命 (Yao Ming) - kill. Remember to pass this down to the next generation."

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unless by "empty," you mean a lead-acid battery with no acid in it, this is simply incorrect.

The mass of an electron is 9.10938356 × 10 −31 kg.

"Full" batteries weigh just as much as "empty" ones, if by "full" and "empty" you are referring to charge.
I could be wrong but I think the charged state is physically heaver by an infinitesimal amount due to the specific gravity.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In both fighter's prime, Muhammad Ali would whip Mike Tyson's butt. Or, the opposite.

See what I did there? Can't get mad at me, unless you find it confusing I guess. What are the rules again?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ll share what I put on your Facebook post: I’m not impressed by t music of either The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.
Yes! I just never got into The Beatles... I know they were a very big deal for that time, (even though I wasn't around at that time), but I just can't get into them.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think anchovies....... are AMAZING. Straight outta the jar. Only way to go.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the charged state is physically heaver by an infinitesimal amount due to the specific gravity.
No. The charged state has a higher specific gravity because the electrolyte is denser.
The electrolyte is denser because it has more "stuff" in it.
The discharged state has a lower specific gravity because "stuff" has deposited on the anodes
no your error is in failing to recognise that adding energy adds mass, it has nothing to do with the weight of the electrons, . the same is true of compressing a spring, which then also weighs more

i

Sigh.

For those following this, I'm going to take it as a teachable moment.

Let us consider, first, the cake. Or banana bread. I made two loaves today. I mixed up a batter, put it into the oven, and added energy to it in the form of heat. Did its mass increase? Did its weight increaseNo. In fact, odds are good that it decreased, even though it came out quite hot from added energy.

Let us then consider a rock in the sun. At afternoon, the rock is quite hot from having absorbed energy. In fact, here in New Mexico in the summer, you could well fry an egg on the rock, which has had energy added to it. Has its mass increased? Has its weight increased? No. Its volume has likely increased somewhat measurably, due to thermal expansion, but the "amount of stuff" (the engineer's definition of mass) has not increased. The potential energy due to distance from the center of the earth (part of the knuckle-dragging engineer's definition of weight) has not changed. It weighs the same.

Remember that potential energy, though.

If I take that same rock I was talking about, and put it up on a shelf, say three meters above the ground, I've increased its gravitational potential energy-it has more energy falling 9 meters to the ground than it does falling 5 or 6 cm.

More to the point, take that same rock to 10000 ft above the ground, or to the top of Everest, or to a plane at 35000 ft above ground, and each time its potential energy due to gravity has obviously increased, but its weight will actually (and measurably) decreased due to distance from the center of the earth.

The rock in Death Valley weighs more, but has less energy than the same rock on Mt. Everest.

Lastly, only way a spring weighs more compressed is by pushing against a scale, which isn't really measuring its "weight." Hold that spring compressed by binding it in some way, and put it on the scale, and the only difference will be the weight of the binding material.

The way a battery works, the flow of electrons is from cathode to anode-from the negatively charged pole that stores electrons to the positively charged one that attracts them-those little bits of "stuff." The flow of electrons is what we call "electricity," and its potential is what we call voltage. When a battery is discharged-zero voltage-it has lost all potential, and the electrons, the "stuff" are on the anode. Almost as though they were rocks that had fallen of a cliff (cathode) to the ground (anode). When we charge a battery, we are not "adding energy," we are pushing the electrons back to the cathode. We are not adding "stuff," in fact, the charged lead-acid battery may weigh less, due to lost hydrogen from the electrolyte-which is why we have to periodically add water. By charging the battery, you haven't really added anything-you have recatalyzed the chemical reaction that produces the flow of electrons called electricity.

To sum up: in most cases, there is no difference in weight between a charged battery and a discharged one.

Last edited:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
In both fighter's prime, Muhammad Ali would whip Mike Tyson's butt. Or, the opposite.

See what I did there? Can't get mad at me, unless you find it confusing I guess. What are the rules again?
Mike Tyson had a hard time with tall guys with good jabs, right from the Golden Gloves and Olympic hopes to the end of his career.

Muhammad Ali was the very definition of a tall guy with a a great jab.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yes! I just never got into The Beatles... I know they were a very big deal for that time, (even though I wasn't around at that time), but I just can't get into them.
The best band to ever come out of Liverpool was the Lightning Seeds.
No. The charged state has a higher specific gravity because the electrolyte is denser.
The electrolyte is denser because it has more "stuff" in it.
The discharged state has a lower specific gravity because "stuff" has deposited on the anodes

Sigh.

For those following this, I'm going to take it as a teachable moment.

Let us consider, first, the cake. Or banana bread. I made two loaves today. I mixed up a batter, put it into the oven, and added energy to it in the form of heat. Did its mass increase? Did its weight increaseNo. In fact, odds are good that it decreased, even though it came out quite hot from added energy.

Let us then consider a rock in the sun. At afternoon, the rock is quite hot from having absorbed energy. In fact, here in New Mexico in the summer, you could well fry an egg on the rock, which has had energy added to it. Has its mass increased? Has its weight increased? No. Its volume has likely increased somewhat measurably, due to thermal expansion, but the "amount of stuff" (the engineer's definition of mass) has not increased. The potential energy due to distance from the center of the earth (the knuckle-dragging engineer's definition of weight) has not changed. It weighs the same.
Remember that potential energy, though.
If I take that same rock I was talking about, and put it up on a shelf, say three meters above the ground, I've increased its gravitational potential energy-it has more energy falling 9 meters to the ground than it does falling 5 or 6 cm.

More to the point, take that same rock to 10000 ft above the ground, or to the top of Everest, or to a plane at 35000 ft above ground, and each time its potential energy due to gravity has obviously increased, but its weight will actually (and measurably) decreased due to distance from the center of the earth.

The rock in Death Valley weighs more, but has less energy than the same rock on Mt. Everest.
The only way a spring weighs more compressed is by pushing against a scale, which isn't really measuring its "weight." Hold that spring compressed by binding it in some way, and put it on the scale, and the only difference will be the weight of the binding material.

The way a battery works, the flow of electrons is from cathode to anode-from the negatively charged pole that stores electrons to the positively charged one that attracts them-those little bits of "stuff." The flow of electrons is what we call "electricity," and its potential is what we call voltage. When a battery is discharged-zero voltage-it has lost all potential, and the electrons, the "stuff" are on the anode. Almost as though they were rocks that had fallen of a cliff (cathode) to the ground (anode). When we charge a battery, we are not "adding energy," we are pushing the electrons back to the cathode. We are not adding "stuff," in fact, the charged lead-acid battery may weigh less, due to lost hydrogen from the electrolyte-which is why we have to periodically add water.

To sum up: in most cases, there is no difference in weight between a charged battery and a discharged one.
giphy.gif

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... MLB did name it the 'Hall of Fame', not the 'Hall of Virtues' :):D:p.
And Damit, Pete IS a famous man, and arguably the best player the game has seen. Ban him from baseball AND put him in the Hall.

Latest Discussions