What's your most controversial, non-political opinion?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I love that film. I was thinking bout it last night while I was watching The Natural. I like baseball movies a whole lot more than I like baseball.
I don't know about other's on this forum, but I think you're one of the few who enjoys movies as much as I do.

The Natural is a fantastic movie, but even when i saw it as a new release, I thought, "How old is Robert Redford supposed to be?"

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Why do Japanese Arts use the Japanese language?"
I have always use the term "Chinese wrestling" and not "Shuai Chiao (or Shuai Jiao)". IMO, if I can just save 1 person 10 seconds time to Goggle the Chinese term, I'm doing the right thing for myself.

To use both at the same time may be a valid solution.

1. 踢(Ti) - Sweep,
2. 撮(Cuo) - Scooping kick,
3. 粘(Zhan) - Sticking kick,
4. 彈(Tan) - Spring,

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The main spirit of the 6 harmony preying mantis system is "I won't pick up a fight. I also won't avoid a fight".

For someone who believes in SD, the 2nd part may not fit him.

When my son had his 1st fight in his junior high, I was so happy that day. I finally knew my son is not a nerd after that day. I told him that I had my 1st fight when I was in my 1st grade.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
well it clearly beats yours, your not seriously suggesting you have such after such a grievous error ? id be asking for my money back if i were you

the top link was from tesla who know a little bit about batteries, god i bet they have a phd or two between them

Yes, from Stanford, years ago. The top link from Tesla 's discussion forum also says that empty batteries weigh the same as full ones-especially true with lithium-ion batteries-the error lies in believing that a charge "adds" electrons, when, in fact, it just moves the ones that have been there all along. A battery in use moves electrons from cathode to anode, a charge on a discharged one moves them back. The math in the first post is simply incorrect.

Lead acid batteries, like in your car, can lose mass from off-gassing and electrolyte changes, as I said earlier, but a healthy discharged battery essentially weighs the same as a charged one.

Coffee is disgusting.

There are two kinds of people. Those who drink coffee, and those who are not to be trusted.
rolling.gif

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The main spirit of the 6 harmony preying mantis system is "I won't pick up a fight. I also won't avoid a fight".

For someone who believes in SD, the 2nd part may not fit him.

When my son had his 1st fight in his junior high, I was so happy that day. I finally knew my son is not a nerd after that day. I told him that I had my 1st fight when I was in my 1st grade.
I had plenty of fights in high school, junior high and elementary school. Technically primary school too, but I don't think i could do enough damage to count that. I'm also a gigantic nerd. The two are not mutually exclusive.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
First, I want to clarify that this is intended to be lighthearted, so while I'm arguing a position, I'm sincerely not trying to poke any sensitive spots!

Now, regarding the Astros, I guess my position is that they should be dealt with more severely, given that Rose and others have been dealt with more severely. OR, we should go back and reconsider the overzealous, heavy handed punishments doled to Rose and Barefoot Jim Johnson... or whatever his name was. :D

Hey, if you don't want to get me upset, stick to less serious topics, like religion or my mother, but avoid the great game of baseball!

I would not shed a tear if they came down harder on the Astros. They deserve it, but I see it as totally different and I still call "false equivalency" on "The Astros stole signs, so let Pete Rose into the HOF".

Sign steeling is part of the game. It's usually done by a base coach or a teammate on 2nd base, but it is definitely part of the game and there is no rule against it. I know people who played in college who had fans in centerfield with binoculars who would stand up for breaking balls and sit down for fastballs. A former minor league player told me there was a light on the scoreboard in centerfield that tipped them off. The former is pushing the rules and the later is a clear violation. What the Astros did is way over the line and should not be excused. A clear violation of the rules that compromised the integrity of the outcome of at least one season. You're not alone in thinking that they got off easy. They likely weren't the only team, but they were the one that got caught.

MLB should crack down hard and make it clear that it will not be tolerated, but they should also probably clarify exactly where they want that line drawn and crack down on all of it.

The line for people being involved in sports betting was drawn in 1919 and Pete Rose was fully aware of it. It's not a slippery slope and everyone isn't doing it. There are a lot of vices that wouldn't have gotten him a lifetime ban. In baseball, this one is sacred. He knew better. He did the crime, he's doing the time.

Like I said, it broke my heart. I loved him as a kid.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, from Stanford, years ago. The top link from Tesla 's discussion forum also says that empty batteries weigh the same as full ones-especially true with lithium-ion batteries-the error lies in believing that a charge "adds" electrons, when, in fact, it just moves the ones that have been there all along. A battery in use moves electrons from cathode to anode, a charge on a discharged one moves them back. The math in the first post is simply incorrect.

Lead acid batteries, like in your car, can lose mass from off-gassing and electrolyte changes, as I said earlier, but a healthy discharged battery essentially weighs the same as a charged one.

There are two kinds of people. Those who drink coffee, and those who are not to be trusted.
rolling.gif
no your error is in failing to recognise that adding energy adds mass, it has nothing to do with the weight of the electrons, . the same is true of compressing a spring, which then also weighs more

i

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had plenty of fights in high school, junior high and elementary school. Technically primary school too, but I don't think i could do enough damage to count that. I'm also a gigantic nerd. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Stand on your feet, face the problem, and not back up are important to be successful in the future.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the fact you have descend in to discussion by meme raises further doubt on the academic success you achieved

f you really want to pursue this il find a video lecture, i watched from esteemed astro physicist and associate professor matt o'dowd, he uses the hubble telescope and drops in a cern for a coffee, im betting you do neither ?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
the fact you have descend in to discussion by meme raises further doubt on the academic success you achieved

f you really want to pursue this il find a video lecture, i watched from esteemed astro physicist and associate professor matt o'dowd, he uses the hubble telescope and drops in a cern for a coffee, im betting you do neither ?

Actually went to accelerator school at CERN.
I'm done here.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
no your error is in failing to recognise that adding energy adds mass, it has nothing to do with the weight of the electrons, . the same is true of compressing a spring, which then also weighs more

i
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is to never get involved in a land war in Asia. But only slightly less well known is, never fail to recognize that adding energy adds mass... when death is on the line!

Latest Discussions