What would you do to a burgular in your home?

You find a burgler in your home! Do you....

• Kill him!

• Run back upstairs, lock yourself and loved ones in a room and call the police!

• Give him a good beating and then call the police!

• Try and apprehend him yourself and lock him in a room and call the police!

• Help him load your stuff in a bag, offer him forgiveness, give him a hug & call him a cab.

Results are only viewable after voting.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
As with a confrontation in the street, I will do whatever it takes to protect myself, my family and friends. If I can greet the person cordially and offer them a cup of coffee while we wait for the police, then that's what I would prefer. On the otherhand, I'll do whatever it takes to subdue the infiltrator.
I can't believe it. Someone actually used my answer before I could get to it. Good one, 14 Kempo. :highfive:

And I have this on my side, too:
People who break into houses hate noises of any kind, even a small dog is a nuisance to them and they will chose another house to break into.
Yep, I don't have a 180 pound...sorry, forget the breed but it was very cool sounding :D, but I have a genuine, romping, stomping, butt kicking 17 pound...poodle mix. :mad: So go ahead, make her day. (see my pic gallery to know true fear).

Scarey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"Kill him" is an answer that can get you in serious legal trouble.

My S.O.P. is the same one recommended by all the experts.
  1. Get family to safe rooms
  2. Lock door
  3. Arm my wife, guests who are competent to use firearms and myself
  4. Call police. Give dispatcher directions to where in the house we are
  5. If he gets past the door and the German Shepherd I believe that I am in fear of death or serious bodily injury. Besides, he's just walked into a prepared enfilade position. Take indicated action
  6. If I see total and abject surrender, hold him for the police
  7. If he runs do not chase
  8. If he appears to have a weapon, acts threatening or aggressive, does not obey commands et cetera see #5 above
That's all predicated on having time. If I don't then grab whatever tool comes to hand, issue challenge, prepare for action.

In all cases an attack by an intruder in my home must be treated as a deadly force situation. If I can avoid getting in a gun or a knife fight that is ideal. If I can not, then I'm going to make sure the me and mine are alright no matter what.

Afterwards, call the police, call my lawyer, call LFI. Prepare for non-consensual sodomy to be inflicted on me by the legal system.

Just keep in mind, if the intruder gets away alive, you're likely to lose everything you own to them in one way or another. Whether that be out the front door with him, or in a court battle because you just injured him. It happens all to often. Some P.O.S. breaks into someone's home and the owner injures him. Then he either gets away, and is caught later, or is taken into custody immediately by the police. Having nothing better to do in jail, he sues the pants off of the person who hurt him, AND WINS!!! The lesson to be learned from this is, in a home invasion situation, never leave the other guy breathing. It's in your best interest to make sure they don't abuse the broken judicial system. Just don't shoot them in the back. I've even heard of a case where the burglar cut themselves on broken glass while escaping, then successfully sued the homeowner for damages. The same has happened with those who were bitten by the family dog. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather prove self-defense against a witness who can't talk, than lose everything because I let the bastard live.

Scarey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The choice was stupid. The question was stupid. Answering "Kill him" is felony stupid.

And I'll notice that you didn't even include your own choice as one of the possible options.

You screwed up badly on this one with your "all macho all bloody" versus "fluffy bunny help him burgle your house" setup.

Killing in self-defense is not a felony, it's not even a crime. Also, see my last post.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
in my state it is a black letter law situation of deadly force to stop a burglary. if the intruder were to just lay down on the floor spread eagle and wait for the cops, great!
but you must assume any one who enters your house when you are home, or who you surprise in the act of burglary will be willing to use deadly force to escape and or carry out their plan. So I would suggest that you treat it as a very very very deadly encounter till you are sure it is not.
use your judgment and call it as you see it, but remember that your life and that of your family if any there are at stake.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just keep in mind, if the intruder gets away alive, you're likely to lose everything you own to them in one way or another. Whether that be out the front door with him, or in a court battle because you just injured him. It happens all to often. Some P.O.S. breaks into someone's home and the owner injures him. Then he either gets away, and is caught later, or is taken into custody immediately by the police. Having nothing better to do in jail, he sues the pants off of the person who hurt him, AND WINS!!! The lesson to be learned from this is, in a home invasion situation, never leave the other guy breathing. It's in your best interest to make sure they don't abuse the broken judicial system. Just don't shoot them in the back. I've even heard of a case where the burglar cut themselves on broken glass while escaping, then successfully sued the homeowner for damages. The same has happened with those who were bitten by the family dog. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather prove self-defense against a witness who can't talk, than lose everything because I let the bastard live.

yep the liberals who want to give the intruder more rights then you have set up a situation where you must consider if you use force that deadly force may be the safest and best option. ( if you live east of the Mississippi river you may have laws that basically say give him the stuff and call a cab for him or go to jail if you live... if that is the case I suggest you make your politicians there fix that, or live or die with what you got.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that if I heard someone in my house, I wouldn't go and investigate, I'd call the police, grab a weapon and wait.

That's the smartest thing to do if you have the presence of mind to do it. Most people, if woken by a sound, will go to investigate it, probably not thinking of encountering an intruder. Unless the sound is obvious, which if someone is sneaking around your house, it won't be.

I told my kids when they became teenagers that if they had friends over, I had to know about it, because if I woke up and came face to face with someone that I didn't expect, I won't ask questions, I'll just attack and keep on attacking until I felt safe. That hasn't changed.

It may be best to run upstairs, lock yourself in the room, and call the police, hopefully, upon being discovered, the intruder will take off. But you can't count on that. If he knows he was seen he may take further action against you to prevent being identified. So morphs second plan of action, to attack and keep attacking until you feel safe, makes sense too. Either way, you are in danger. Danger of being injured or killed yourself during the attack, and danger of being injured or killed if you try to hide until you call the police and wait for them to arrive.

Either way it's a no win situation, so take advantage of the element of surprise.

"You creep downstairs" - wrong answer.
I'd grab the sppropriate tool and flashlight and release the dog, taking a prepared position and shouting the prepared signal my wife and I have agreed on. That means that ******* has to contend with 80 pounds of fiercely protective dog and a lot of unexpected noise. He'll probably be tripping over things and won't know where the lights are. He is going to be one distracted scumbag. Odds are he'll run. If he doesn't he's at what they call a "distinct tactical disadvantage".

If I were dumb enough to go down and confront him under the circumstances you outline I'd probably attack right away. He's committed a home invasion burglary while there was a loudly barking dog. He is "strong and healthy" which means he's dangerous. He's close enough that he could kill me while I'm issuing the challenge and trying to get him to surrender.

In other words, the situation sucks. Take advantage of surprise. Make sure he's not a threat one way or the other. Keep an eye out for the rest of the *******s who may be with him. Get to a safer position. Call police. And so on.

Tellners post is similar in tactic to morphs, and I couldn't agree more. If you don't have to confront him, don't. If you find yourself in that situation, take advantage while you have the upper hand.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first attempt at a poll so I hope it all goes well!

Background to poll:

It is the early hours of the morning, you are asleep upstairs with your darling wife/hubby/partner sleeping next to you. You wake up after hearing some noises downstairs. You creep downstairs and enter your livingroom and suddenly find yourself face to face with a burgular. Assume the burgular looks healthy and strong. He is startled by your sudden appearance and has not moved yet from where you have discovered him.

What would you do?

I have a few things in place, so hopefully he wouldn't get far. My condo has an alarm, so opening any doors will set it off. I have a dog, so that is another thing he would have to deal with. While I don't have a gun, I have some nice hard impact weapons nearby, so grabbing one would be my first option. Calling the police is a top priority.

Protecting my family is top priority. I"m a believer in the fact that I didn't invite someone into my house at that hour, so they get what they deserve. If its a fall down the stairs, a bite from the dog or a beating from what I have in my hand, then so be it. I'll deal with the consequences later on.

A while back, a family in Cheshire, CT. was brutally attacked, which resulted in the husband being severely beaten, his wife and 2 daughters killed, and their house set on fire. The husband was the only one to survive. The 2 people that did this...well, words can't describe what I feel about them. They obviously have no regard for human life, therefore, I have no regard for them or anyone who enters someones home unwanted. Would I go so far as to actually kill them? Probably not. However, if its a toss up of them or me and my wife...rest assure I'm going to do my best to make sure its not me or my wife and dog. :)

Mike

atinsley

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While it is true that the actual taking of a life is no where as easy as saying you will, the choice is clear for me, there is no other option. I don't know what the scumbags intentions are and I am not going to stop and ask questions. I have two young daughters and if someone enters my home, uninvited, I will do whatever is necessary to protect my family.

I may wind up in court; I doubt it, but I may even end up in jail, but at least I know that my kids are alive, my family is safe and the scumbag is never able to terrorize another family.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While it is true that the actual taking of a life is no where as easy as saying you will, the choice is clear for me, there is no other option. I don't know what the scumbags intentions are and I am not going to stop and ask questions. I have two young daughters and if someone enters my home, uninvited, I will do whatever is necessary to protect my family.

I may wind up in court; I doubt it, but I may even end up in jail, but at least I know that my kids are alive, my family is safe and the scumbag is never able to terrorize another family.
That much is true. In people's eyes you are justified in that defense. But in the law's eyes (which should be the same as the people's) that is questionable. It has to be taken apart piece by piece and examined closely to determine that you had no-other recourse.

Something to consider. Yes, you are sitting in jail defending your home and family and (again) justifiably so. But if you're the sole breadwinner of the family you're depriving them of your support. Not to mention that those two precious daughters of yours are deprived from you, their parent. Your wife likewise is dependent upon you as well for your support in all aspects of your life together.
So decisions like this must be weighed and calculated before hand. Better to take a few days to think about this than a few (micro) seconds as you're bringing your weapon to bear on the intruder. When you're resolved then shoot.
I would not be surprised that this is the same with LEO's who are facing down their own scumbags on the streets or wherever they meet them. I'll say it again. The taking of a life is no easy matter.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anyone who breaks into my house is bought and paid for, as far as I am concerned. Killing him would be a mercy killing in a way. I'm not just whacking him because he's a burglar, I'm whacking him because he is a stupid burglar who thought I had stuff worth stealing. :lol2:

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Of course, if you are eventually forced to clear the outside of the house of intruders, it would be hard to top the minigun for performance!

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's hard to beat a dog as a security system. We have a mixed-breed Rotweiller, Boxer, Mastiff, and Dane. :kiss:

I prefer the pistol, a Single/double Colt .357. I can shoot it without cocking, and so make no prep noise, or I can choose to cock it as a warning. It's only second to the "ratchet of doom" as far as easily identified noises in the dark go.

The way my house is laid out, there's only one entrance to the bedrooms, which is easily defended. The rest of the house, even the kitchen, is wide open and visible from that point. (Makes for great parties, too!) There's also enough ambient light from the street lights outside to be able to see clearly. So, given this, if someone tries to open the door, "Scout," our dog, will sound a warning that will make you jump out of your skin, if they still come in, she will have given me time to open the quick-access pistol safe under my bed, and told my wife to get down behind the bed. Then it's a matter of controlling that bottleneck until they submit, run, or otherwise.

IF they try to escape, I will be glad to let them go, my first priority is protecting my family, not thinning the gene pool, or enacting justice. They can't hurt my family if they're running away. If they decide to continue, then they are now attacking me, not robbing my house. Oregon is a modified "Castle Doctrine" state, which basically means that I only have to retreat as far as my home, and then retreat isn't really an option.

So, a "burglar" will likely not be killed. An "attacker" will get some after-market holes.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For those who are interested, these three videos are of a man who says that the handgun is superior to the shotgun inside the house. Notice that he also advises to stay in the safe room if you have a choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOq8gP6VCyA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuuEPDrUC44&feature=related

My question on the guy is; is he tactically trained? Is he even a cop? A vet? He should state his credentials before hand so that folks can take him seriously if he is being serious.
nit-picking but I'd use the widest angle on the video lens to get a better full shot on.

On the third vid... it is indeed a bad idea to hold a mini-mag (or any flashlight) with your mouth/teeth. The mini-mag is metal and very tough (aircraft aluminum). I've known cavers lose their front teeth because they swung their heads and tapped the rock wall.

I've also wondered about low angle approaches... but that should be another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Background to poll:

It is the early hours of the morning, you are asleep upstairs with your darling wife/hubby/partner sleeping next to you. You wake up after hearing some noises downstairs. You creep downstairs and enter your livingroom and suddenly find yourself face to face with a burgular. Assume the burgular looks healthy and strong. He is startled by your sudden appearance and has not moved yet from where you have discovered him.

What would you do?

He hasn't moved yet? GOOD, stationary TARGET!

BOOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

I'd do what the law allows......SHOOT HIM IN THE CHEST WITH MY BENELLI M2 12 gauge and TAKE HIM OUT OF THE GENE POOL! If he has friends, they're going with him!

As to the 'handgun versus longgun' discussion, that's a matter of opinion and disagreement within tactical circles....and ultimately I don't see it as that important a discussion. I prefer the shotgun for indoor closework with a pistol in my belt as a backup!

The REAL issue with home defense, however, is to make sure that whatever you're packing you have a property illumination tool! And if you're going to carry a long gun, make sure you have a good tactical sling so you can use one hand to open doors, and if necessary, drop the gun on it's sling and transition to your handgun or empty hand without fear of having the gun ripped away from you.

On my Benelli M2 tactical I have a Surefire foreend light and XS Big Dot tactical tritium sights. On my GLOCK 22C I have a Surefire rail light with XS Big Dot tactical tritium sights in the exact same confirguration as the one's on my shotgun!

I also carry a NightOps Gladius hand held light with a STROBING feature for distraction/disorientation when searching the house....I use the landyard so that if I encounter a threat, I can let it drop to dangle on the lanyard around my wrist and use both hands on the shotgun!

I'm a big believer in, even if you have a weapon light, having another illumination tool for the off hand to search!

At the Strategos International Low-Light course they teach some EXCELLENT high-low searching techniques to shine the hand illumintor HIGH around a doorway and enter low so that if someone fires at the light, they aren't firing at you! LIGHT HIGH, ENTER LOW!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

The State of Missouri has created a little common sense in our 'Defense of Self/Home' law.....we have made it PRESUMED that if someone enters or stays in your dwelling UNLAWFULLY that they are a THREAT to your life, and you may use lethal force to defend yourself.....no OTHER variable need be present than attempting to enter, entering or remaining unlawfully!

FURTHERMORE, Missouri has granted IMMUNITY from CIVIL LIABILITY to anyone who lawfully uses force under those circumstances! In other words, if CRIMINALLY you are justified, the criminal or his survivors CANNOT SUE YOU CIVILLY! If they ATTEMPT to sue you, they are responsible for ALL attorneys fees on both sides, court fees, and any other expenses YOU accumulate while defending yourself. ;)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Background to poll:

What would you do?

It would really depend upon the situation which includes the local laws.

I know in the past when I have heard people in my house, I rolled out of bed grabbed a sword and went dow the hall. I met them at sword point as thye came out of a bedroom. They were surprised. I asked them what they are doing in my house. They asked who I was. I moved teh sword point closer to his face and said I have the sword answer my question. It ended up he was there to see my brother and my brother had to run back to work for something he had forgotten, but has told him to go in and stay in his bedroom. (* I heard him walking to the bathroom and to the kitchen *). I guess if he followed instructions it might have turned out differently. I might not have known he was there or I might have. If he did not answer me or was going to get silly he would have been told to call the police or to face me.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I left my room once when I was....maybe 11? 5th grade I think. I went to check out weird noise. It was early in the morning and I was just waking up. My mom was at church taking in the sunrise service. My dad had stayed back and was out in the yard.

I found the source of the noise. My dad had gone out at the crack of dawn to prune some of the bushes. He had come in from his work, and fallen to the floor, nearly unconscious. He was an hideous shade of gray, and I smelled puke. He seemed to be calling for me but his sounds were incoherent. He seemed to be reaching for me but I ran away from him.

My mom kept stickers on the phone that said "Call 911 for emergency"

So, I did. The dispatcher picked up the phone and asked what the emergency was. I said to come quick because my dad is dying.

Cordless phones weren't common at the time. Dad seemed to be calling for me but I couldn't get to where he was. I tried to bring the phone towards him but I was afraid of ripping the connector out of the wall. I tried calling to my dad but the dispatcher kept asking me questions.

I think it took 5-10 minutes for the paramedics to show up. Felt like hours. It drove me nuts because I could hear that my dad was in trouble but I couldn't even touch his hand to comfort him. After the ambulance left I stared screaming my head off because I thought I had seen the last of my dad and I didn't even get a chance to give him a hug.

A year or so after that, I saw a cordless phone at K-mart and begged my mom to get one for everyone in the family to share. And....ever since then, its been instinctual. If I check out an odd noise, I generally have a phone in my hand.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I left my room once when I was....maybe 11? 5th grade I think. I went to check out weird noise. It was early in the morning and I was just waking up. My mom was at church taking in the sunrise service. My dad had stayed back and was out in the yard.

I found the source of the noise. My dad had gone out at the crack of dawn to prune some of the bushes. He had come in from his work, and fallen to the floor, nearly unconscious. He was an hideous shade of gray, and I smelled puke. He seemed to be calling for me but his sounds were incoherent. He seemed to be reaching for me but I ran away from him.

My mom kept stickers on the phone that said "Call 911 for emergency"

So, I did. The dispatcher picked up the phone and asked what the emergency was. I said to come quick because my dad is dying.

Cordless phones weren't common at the time. Dad seemed to be calling for me but I couldn't get to where he was. I tried to bring the phone towards him but I was afraid of ripping the connector out of the wall. I tried calling to my dad but the dispatcher kept asking me questions.

I think it took 5-10 minutes for the paramedics to show up. Felt like hours. It drove me nuts because I could hear that my dad was in trouble but I couldn't even touch his hand to comfort him. After the ambulance left I stared screaming my head off because I thought I had seen the last of my dad and I didn't even get a chance to give him a hug.

A year or so after that, I saw a cordless phone at K-mart and begged my mom to get one for everyone in the family to share. And....ever since then, its been instinctual. If I check out an odd noise, I generally have a phone in my hand.

That, Carol, deserves a hug. The fact that you stayed though your instincts cried out to be with your dad, you stayed by the phone to ensure the dispatcher can get whatever information she/he needed... for an 11 yr. old... that took some doing.
Now in this day and age of wireless communications it's easier of course to be right there where the trouble is and being able to help out where you can.

Latest Discussions