What would you do to a burgular in your home?

You find a burgler in your home! Do you....

• Kill him!

• Run back upstairs, lock yourself and loved ones in a room and call the police!

• Give him a good beating and then call the police!

• Try and apprehend him yourself and lock him in a room and call the police!

• Help him load your stuff in a bag, offer him forgiveness, give him a hug & call him a cab.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first attempt at a poll so I hope it all goes well!

Background to poll:

It is the early hours of the morning, you are asleep upstairs with your darling wife/hubby/partner sleeping next to you. You wake up after hearing some noises downstairs. You creep downstairs and enter your livingroom and suddenly find yourself face to face with a burgular. Assume the burgular looks healthy and strong. He is startled by your sudden appearance and has not moved yet from where you have discovered him.

What would you do?
Firstly, if I go to investigate noises downstairs, I will always go armed.

Secondly, your post spefically states 'burgular', so we will assume that he is doing something that gives away his purpose, such as wearing a stocking, ski mask, or going through my valuables.

Thirdly, as my weapon of choice is a nihonto, disembowel, decapitate, dis arm (literally), or cut the throat. I want him dead. I want to take no chances that he will live to shoot me after I strike. He invaded my home and is now in my place of strength and in my sanctuary. My family is more valuable than he is, so therefore, his life is forfiet.

Daniel

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firstly, if I go to investigate noises downstairs, I will always go armed.

Secondly, your post spefically states 'burgular', so we will assume that he is doing something that gives away his purpose, such as wearing a stocking, ski mask, or going through my valuables.

Thirdly, as my weapon of choice is a nihonto, disembowel, decapitate, dis arm (literally), or cut the throat. I want him dead. I want to take no chances that he will live to shoot me after I strike. He invaded my home and is now in my place of strength and in my sanctuary. My family is more valuable than he is, so therefore, his life is forfiet.

Daniel
Burglary is (in the Common Law), breaking and entering a dwelling in the nighttime with the intent to commit a larceny or felony. Most states have expanded the definition by statute, to cover non-dwellings, daylight hours, and other misdemeanors than larceny.

So, anyone breaking and entering your house has already committed burglary. It's a safe bet that they're up to something when they break in...

(FYI... houses can't be robbed. Robbery is larceny by force or threat of force.)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will use the force allowed by the state law in which I live.....

[SIZE=+1]Use of force in defense of persons. [/SIZE]

1. A person may, subject to the provisions of subsection 2 of this section, use physical force upon another person when and to the extent he or she reasonably believes such force to be necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person from what he or she reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of unlawful force by such other person, unless:

(1) The actor was the initial aggressor; except that in such case his or her use of force is nevertheless justifiable provided:
(a) He or she has withdrawn from the encounter and effectively communicated such withdrawal to such other person but the latter persists in continuing the incident by the use or threatened use of unlawful force; or
(b) He or she is a law enforcement officer and as such is an aggressor pursuant to section 563.046; or
(c) The aggressor is justified under some other provision of this chapter or other provision of law;

(2) Under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be, the person whom he or she seeks to protect would not be justified in using such protective force;

(3) The actor was attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of a forcible felony.

2. A person may not use deadly force upon another person under the circumstances specified in subsection 1 of this section unless:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such deadly force is necessary to protect himself or herself or another against death, serious physical injury, or any forcible felony; or

(2) Such force is used against a person who unlawfully enters, remains after unlawfully entering, or attempts to unlawfully enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle lawfully occupied by such person.

3. A person does not have a duty to retreat from a dwelling, residence, or vehicle where the person is not unlawfully entering or unlawfully remaining.

4. The justification afforded by this section extends to the use of physical restraint as protective force provided that the actor takes all reasonable measures to terminate the restraint as soon as it is reasonable to do so.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5630000031.HTM

rocksham

Orange Belt
Reaction score
reach for machete if I cant get to bowie knife or katana, see how dumb he is, remove extremity for dna sample for the cops

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's hard to take something seriously as this when the poll isn't serious. Though I voted "give the burglar a good beating then call the police, it is most likely I would actually do the first choice... Kill him.
Killing is a very VERY difficult thing to do. Maybe not for a trained combat veteran who has done so, pr a LEO, but for the everyday person it's not as easy as all that. Unless you've actually done it, IMO you've no idea.
Ironically as a supporter of the death penalty I do not like killing at all. But sometimes it must be done. There are people out there who just-don't-care. At least not like we (everyday people) do.

Good points in your whole response, but the underlined, it's hard for anyone my friend, no matter the number of times if you have a soul/heart.

I read someone said call the cops, yes indeed first thing I would do is call the cops or have my wife call them and then ensure she's armed and on the other side of the bed secured away and I'm guarding the doorway and entrance to the hallway and if I have a clear shot, I'll take it or I hear them make a break for the door or window due to the police coming, I might take that chance since they will be pre-occupied and try and apprehend them if I can do so safely or still take them out.

Tez - LOL, loved that one, my Golden Retriever is worthless on that account LOL, the Dachshund would do a better job.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Being the simple minded combat soldier that I am, my solution is pretty simple to this problem. See, my son's bedroom is on the opposite endof the house as mine so to be able to get to him and ensure his safety in a scenario such as this I would have to go through the home invader. I would utilize a .45 cal solution, which where I live is fully within my rights to do so.

I would then happily call the police and send the body along with them.

Mark

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of people think the cops will come and defend you. at least in the USA the supreme court has ruled that the Police have NO DUTY to PROTECT ANY ONE! so again its your choice, if there is an intruder in your home you decide, and live or die by that choice. ... good luck.

Personally in the US i would suggest a fire arm over a blade as juries and cops seem to be a lot more upset by people injured or killed by blades then by bullets or shot from a shotgun.

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't have a downstairs, unless you count the two floors below our apartment. Highly doubtful anyone is coming thru the front door or windows (typhoon proof wire mesh glass windows with protective bars. If someone was desperate (crazy) enough to climb on the roof of the apartment complex and shimy down a rope to our balcony, they would find same said glass. If by chance, one was open, and by chance I was woken in the night by said burglar, I would be more than happy to show them the way down (yes, I said down-not out) If they came in by coming over the balcony, then that is how they are leaving! My wife and children's lives are a whole lot more valuable than some scum bag's. If a 'burglar' breaks into a residence while it is occupied, then that said burglar probably has other plans besides just stealing.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I had my gun and I had distence I would order him onto the ground and let him know if he moves he will die. If he moves I gut shoot him with the .45 if he has any forward movment after that it's chest, chest, face.

If it's empty hand I go in for a kill. If I put him down and have him in control, then I wont kill him unless he tries to fight again.

If he is anywhere near my kids he dies no matter what he does. He puts his hands up and is still near my kids, all that means is I shoot him between the eyes out of mercy.

If he is headed toward the kid's room and I am behind him 1. If I have the gun he gets it in the back of the head. 2. if I dont, I come up behind, crush his windpipe and break his neck.

alex.ragnos

White Belt
Reaction score
In my country the criminals records are 10 times those of EE.UU. So if some one gets in your home, first you shot them and then you ask. Its not uncommon to find that some one broke into a house and kick the **** out of the husband and rape the wife/daughters.
This is the reality of my country argentina. You are forced to kill in order to protect your beloved ones.

Alex.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah, I'm not even going to try to talk tough. There is nothing in my house material-wise that isn't replaceable. Better to protect the family and live to fight another day.

Latest Discussions