What martial arts fits my parameters?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So again, if "anti-grappling" is also grappling, why do we need the anti.

And if striking is "anti grappling" what's wrong with just calling it a strike.

Or just generally, like someone just pointed out the obvious, "counter".
That's why I believe anti-grappling is impossible. You can't do anti-grappling without grappling training.

The discussion wasn't intended to be on "anti-grappling", but to discuss whether "anti-striking" is possible or not (such as someone doesn't want to learn stand up strike).

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both single leg and double legs can be drive down or pick up. The pick up motion can cause more damage. If you can pick up your opponent, turn him horizontal, and upside down, you can smash his head to the ground and end fight right there. In training, you may just pick your opponent up, turn him horizontal, and smash him down.

But I'm specially talking about the low wrestling and BJJ single leg which isn't done above the knee, because picking up your opponent is harder than using leverage. If you've ever tried to standup double leg a 200lb man...it's really hard compared to going for the legs below knee. The Fight Science video makes it look easier than it actually is, unless the other dude is smaller.

There are disadvantages to grabbing a leg or both, above the knee at standing height in some rulesets. I think those are well shown in Marvin's MMA video: It's easier to avoid the takedown ( the other guy is at same level and it was slow and not very technical, so all it took was a push and hop), not to mention your arms are busy and you are not protecting your head if you're trying to wrap a leg. It's easy to get caught in a headlock, eat a knee, etc. Sweeps are probably better here, but I'm no expert.

And of course the Octagon fence makes a lot of takedowns very unlike wrestling, pure BJJ, or Shuai Jiao. The fence is was probably the biggest reason for the failure of that particular takedown attempt, and it happens all the time in MMA where a takedown fails for that reason, nobodys going through that.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's why I believe anti-grappling is impossible. You can't do anti-grappling without grappling training.

The discussion wasn't intended to be on "anti-grappling", but to discuss whether "anti-striking" is possible or not (such as someone doesn't want to learn stand up strike).
Yeah I had to remind myself which thread I was in, this is the "martial arts that teaches you how to close the distance take the fight to the ground and then do anything on the ground from striking to submissions" dude who isn't really taking part and has us debating the deadly anti grapple. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And of course the Octagon fence makes a lot of takedowns very unlike wrestling, pure BJJ, or Shuai Jiao.
Pick up throw usually are done by a big guy against a smaller guy.

Different techniques are used in different kind of fighting environment.

lai_tai.jpg

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pick up throw usually are done by a big guy against a smaller guy.

Different techniques are used in different kind of fighting environment.

View attachment 30263
Lei Tai, now you are speaking my love language dude.

Had a really funny interaction with a local MMA gym owner.

I said "Lei Tai", he goes "Muay Thai?".

"Similar, but more dangerous"

He looked at me like I was BSing him.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lei Tai, now you are speaking my love language dude.

Had a really funny interaction with a local MMA gym owner.

I said "Lei Tai", he goes "Muay Thai?".

"Similar, but more dangerous"

He looked at me like I was BSing him.
If UFC uses Lei Tai, the fight will look different. Without rope, you can't move back forever, and you can throw your opponent off the stage.

Last edited:
OP
K

kingofjong

White Belt
Reaction score
To follow up on my original question. Is there a martial arts that takes all the thing that work in street fight situation and puts them into one martial art. When I look at old school bjj videos of Renzo Gracie or Royce Gracie what they do has punches and kicks but is very different from mma or modern bjj. When I look at any martial arts videos from before the 90's they look completely different from today's martial arts.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
To follow up on my original question. Is there a martial arts that takes all the thing that work in street fight situation and puts them into one martial art. When I look at old school bjj videos of Renzo Gracie or Royce Gracie what they do has punches and kicks but is very different from mma or modern bjj. When I look at any martial arts videos from before the 90's they look completely different from today's martial arts.
Early pre ufc Gracie fights were Vale Tudo rules. Ask 50 martial artists and you will get 50 different answers. Look around your area and see what’s available, then go try one you can get to easily, and do consistently.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
combat sambo. Or learn to accept you'll need to punch and train mma.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is there a martial arts that takes all the thing that work in street fight situation and puts them into one martial art.
It's not which MA system that you need. It's what tools that you have in your toolbox.

If your MA toolbox contain the following tools, you should have no problem in any street fight.

1. Punch - jab, cross, hook, uppercut, back fist, hammer fist, side punch, hay-maker, ...
2. Kick - front toe kick, front heel kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, hook kick, back kick, inside crescent kick, outside crescent kick, tornado kick, jumping double front kick, jumping crescent kick, ...
3. Knee - upward knee, horizontal knee, 45 degree knee, flying knee, ...
4. Elbow - horizontal elbow, upward elbow, downward elbow, forward elbow, backward elbow, ...
5. Lock - finger lock, wrist lock, elbow lock, shoulder lock, head lock, spine lock, knee lock, ankle lock, ...
6. Throw - single leg, double legs, hip throw, leg twist, leg spring, leg lift, leg block, foot sweep, ...
7. Footwork - forward step, backward step, side step, wheeling step, circle walking, circle running, long distance advance, long distance retreat, ...
8. Ground game - full mount, side mount, arm bar, leg bar, choke, ...
9. Short weapon - dagger, double edges sword, single edge knife, Miao Diao, ...
10. Long weapon - staff, pole, spear, Guan Dao, ...
11. Throwing weapon - bow and arrow, throwing dart, throwing knife, throwing rock, ...
12. Firearm - pistol, riffle, machine gun, RPG, grenade throwing, ...

Latest Discussions