What martial arts fits my parameters?

kingofjong

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello

I am trying to find a martial arts that teaches bjj, ground pound, clinch work, takedowns, and strike defense. Not sure which is the best martial arts to take for that. I don't want to learn striking while standing but on the ground. To summarize I want a martial arts that teaches you how to close the distance take the fight to the ground and then do anything on the ground from striking to submissions. What is the best martial arts for that.

Thank you
Kingofjong

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Screenshot_20231103_052017_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That OP is pretty much describing MMA really well.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Really, what he's describing is old school BJJ.

I don't want to learn striking while standing but on the ground

Stand-up striking is an integral part of any good MMA curriculum.

To summarize I want a martial arts that teaches you how to close the distance take the fight to the ground and then do anything on the ground from striking to submissions.

This is 100% old-school BJJ. It's a little harder nowadays to find BJJ schools which cover this full curriculum (closing the distance against strikes/clinching/takedowns/G&P), but they do still exist.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello

I am trying to find a martial arts that teaches bjj, ground pound, clinch work, takedowns, and strike defense. Not sure which is the best martial arts to take for that. I don't want to learn striking while standing but on the ground. To summarize I want a martial arts that teaches you how to close the distance take the fight to the ground and then do anything on the ground from striking to submissions. What is the best martial arts for that.

Thank you
Kingofjong
Strike defense while standing but no striking while standing, but striking while on the ground. This sounds like a sport application, but I can't think of a ruleset where this would work.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Strike defense while standing but no striking while standing, but striking while on the ground. This sounds like a sport application, but I can't think of a ruleset where this would work.
The issue is that for it to work in a sport, one person would have to strike while standing. Which means both people would have to learn that.

The closest I can think of is sambo, where that's in the art, just takes a very large backseat to everything else. To the OP, sambo would be my recommendation for what you want, based on this and other threads.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't want to learn striking while standing but on the ground.
Rhino guard can be your option here. You can hide your head behind your rhino guard, use your extend arms to obtain a clinch.

rhino guard -> clinch -> take down -> ground game.

It gives you some defense against punch.

It gives you minimum amount of punching ability.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The issue is that for it to work in a sport, one person would have to strike while standing. Which means both people would have to learn that.

The closest I can think of is sambo, where that's in the art, just takes a very large backseat to everything else. To the OP, sambo would be my recommendation for what you want, based on this and other threads.

There is technically nothing forcing him to strike while standing.

I would happily turn a guy in to a bobble head if they don't want to hit me back.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my guys is a wrestler. He wanted to test his skill against MMA guys. But he didn't want to spend time to train striking. He just wanted to learn how to

- deal punches with his arms, and
- deal kicks with his leg.

As long as he can establish a clinch, he would have advantage after that. I do believe this kind of fight strategy work. It may even make the fight simple.

If you

- kick me, I'll take you down.
- punch me, I'll take you down.
- do nothing, I'll still take you down.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my guys is a wrestler. He wanted to test his skill against MMA guys. But he didn't want to spend time to train striking. He just wanted to learn how to

- deal punches with his arms, and
- deal kicks with his leg.

As long as he can establish a clinch, he would have advantage after that. I do believe this kind of fight strategy work. It may even make the fight simple.

If you

- kick me, I'll take you down.
- punch me, I'll take you down.
- do nothing, I'll still take you down.
The trouble with that is wrestlers don't train to be punched. They can be really tough but people who only grapple are at a disadvantage against somebody with typically MMA training. Even elite wrestlers will lose their advantage after they start to take the kind of physical damage common in full contact fighting.

Same reason Royce Gracie had to pick up Muay Thai. He was not the Vale Tudo guy in the family, and once competitors wisened up to his game, his game started going south quickly.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The trouble with that is wrestlers don't train to be punched. They can be really tough but people who only grapple are at a disadvantage against somebody with typically MMA training. Even elite wrestlers will lose their advantage after they start to take the kind of physical damage common in full contact fighting.

Same reason Royce Gracie had to pick up Muay Thai. He was not the Vale Tudo guy in the family, and once competitors wisened up to his game, his game started going south quickly.
I don't believe anti-grappling is possible. But I do believe anti-striking is possible. I have bet against someone that:

- if he can punch my head before I can get a head lock on him, I'll pay him $10.
- if I can get a head lock on him before can punch my head, he'll pay me $10.

We had tested this for 3 rounds. I made myself $30.

The strategy for a pure wrestler to deal with a striker is to disable his opponent's punching arms ASAP. How to do that? It's not an easy task.

IMO, long guards such as:

- rhino guard,
- Chinese zombie arms,
- double inward hook punches.

that your hands are closer to your opponent's head are better than short guards that you give your opponent plenty of striking space. When you extend your arms as far as you can (you will lose your own punching ability), if your opponent wants to punch you, his hand has to pass your hand first. At that moment, if you can separate his arms away from his head, you can move in at that moment and obtain a clinch such as

- head lock,
- under hook,
- over hook,
- bear hug,
- single leg,
- double legs,

Here is an example to obtain a bear hug and then take down. He used kicks to close the distance. But he didn't throw any punch to obtain his clinch.

Last edited:

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe anti-grappling is possible. But I do believe anti-striking is possible...

The strategy for a pure wrestler to deal with a striker is to disable his opponent's punching arms ASAP. How to do that? It's not an easy task
Anti-grappling exists, as evidenced by MMA fights. I believe all top-rated professional MMA fighters include striking training.

Aljamain Sterling (grappler) vs Sean O'Malley (striker):

1. Sean (with pink hair) leads Aljamain by moving laterally.
2. Sean feints, controls Aljamain's lead hand, kicks (push) and steps back (pull) to draw Aljamain's counter pressure and reaching.
3. Aljamain tries to grab Sean's lead wrist and throw a straight left.
4. Sean moves laterally and throws a right hand knocking down Aljamain.

IMO, long guards such as:

- rhino guard,
- Chinese zombie arms,
- double inward hook punches.

that your hands are closer to your opponent's head are better than short guards that you give your opponent plenty of striking space. When you extend your arms as far as you can (you will lose your own punching ability), if your opponent wants to punch you, his hand has to pass your hand first...

Here is an example to obtain a bear hug and then take down. He used kicks to close the distance. But he didn't throw any punch to obtain his clinch.
Yet, your student does not use your two armed long guard. "He used kicks to close the distance, [then] clinch."

In MMA, elite grapplers integrate striking and grappling with proven strategies, tactics and techniques.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was gonna say, I thought we were discussing MMA fighter (not a "striker") vs wrestler.

If you're talking pure vs pure, sure the grappler has a theoretical advantage, but it's not a sure thing. One good punch can KO anyone, or at least ring their bell, which makes everything harder. If they can control the arms, and especially if things like knees and kinks aren't allowed, it really limits a pure striker. But MMA people (or even San Shou) fighters don't have that problem if they're decently trained.

And also remember, strikers practice the art of getting punched in the face all the time (not getting punched is always better but ish happens) and continuing, sometimes for a long time (rounds and rounds).

Wrestlers practice impact in a very different way, even Judoka and shuai Jiao players are not accustomed to it, And you fight now you train.

I have been punched in the face with vigor, both with and without head protection, but continued fighting because training. But I guarantee you most people, even wrestlers, arent used to it and will usually do into full deer in headlights mode...also very common even with MMA and standup striking newbs.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure "anti grapple" is the right term to use...that's something I typically associate with certain TMA that make claims about stopping shoots and leg picks.

Like, kneeing someone in the face when they shoot, works. Catching their head and punching it, also works. But I wouldn't call those "anti" anything. Just basic striking that happens to work well against grappling.

Now, a CMA guy claiming their art has deadly "anti grapple" that's something different and usually BS on review. Some CMA are (in)famous for the "grapple can't take me down!" Stuff ...and there is always ample video out there where it doesn't work.

Latest Discussions