What is your plan for re-opening?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I'm not a dedicated protester, and I wouldn't even consider looting, but I've a long history of setting fire to things!

Started when I was five and set the neighbors citrus orchard ablaze, later I blew up pumpkins and mailboxes on Halloween, even set my own hands on fire once. Boy that was nasty. I couldn't find any way to put them out so I eventually dunked them in the toilet bowl. They actually sizzled. Later I channeled my insanity and got interested in art, but while others perfected drawing and painting skills, I took up welding, metal casting, glass-work and ceramics. All pyro-centric art-forms.:)
Nothing like pouring molten metal at 1700 degrees.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My main job has re-opened. I'm required back in to meet 50% workforce this week. By next week or the following week, we're supposed to be at 100%.

To clarify, this is a rather large hospital that I work at. And they want us back at full force. My position is IT. I could do 99% of my work from home. Some of my coworkers could do 100% from home. But we're expected to be in the office. We still have restrictions in place: a lot more use of hand sanitizer, screening when you enter, and wearing mask in public places. (And yes, I wear my mask there, because it's required). But they're ready to open.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
but then you have to ask yourself how much of the protesting is tied to the general discontent of protesters about erosion of basic freedoms and how much is about the specific trigger.

there is clearly an enormous amount of anger , but when someone decided to fire bomb a shopping mall, its hard to pick out what their specific motivations and discontents are
Protesting is not the issue. That is a constitutional right. The looters and attackers are just bad, opportunistic people who are breaking the law.
Add in a bunch of stir crazy and impressionable people and a storm starts brewing.
When you have groups like ANTIFA this is going to happen.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, steel at 2500°F and iron at about 2750°F.
well yes but they are not all metals, not even most metals, which makes your statement that metals dont become molten to 2500 somewhat inexact

its common in some industries,( aerospace and chemistry) to regards things other than iron and a few more as not being metal at all, however most of the world is firmly convinced that lead and aluminium is a metal

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Protesting is not the issue. That is a constitutional right. The looters and attackers are just bad, opportunistic people who are breaking the law.
Add in a bunch of stir crazy and impressionable people and a storm starts brewing.
When you have groups like ANTIFA this is going to happen.
not that clear cut, some times rioting is the only protest that will actually effect any change, thousands of people united in peaceful protest can be a powerful message, burning the capital down tends to get more attention from the powers that be

quite what people are enraged about that they will riot is harder to define, what is does show is that large number are angry enough about something that peaceful protests have not resolved and that shouldnt be ignored by governments

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My main job has re-opened. I'm required back in to meet 50% workforce this week. By next week or the following week, we're supposed to be at 100%.

To clarify, this is a rather large hospital that I work at. And they want us back at full force. My position is IT. I could do 99% of my work from home. Some of my coworkers could do 100% from home. But we're expected to be in the office. We still have restrictions in place: a lot more use of hand sanitizer, screening when you enter, and wearing mask in public places. (And yes, I wear my mask there, because it's required). But they're ready to open.
I hope I’m wrong, but it looks like your hospital is gearing up for the upcoming Covid surge in the Seattle area, on the heels of the protests. All hands on deck.

I’m glad you are wearing a mask.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope I’m wrong, but it looks like your hospital is gearing up for the upcoming Covid surge in the Seattle area, on the heels of the protests. All hands on deck.

it seems more likely they are gearing up to return to normality ? gearing up for the virus entailed having less people working in hospitals rather than more ?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

This was the plan before the death of George Floyd.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Metal doesn't become molten until about 2500°. :)

Naw, pure lead melts at just 621.5°F (so figure maybe 650°F in the real world). You can do that with a common propane torch. Aluminum melts at 1221°F which takes a little more, and copper alloys, such as silicon bronze etc. require temperatures around 2,000°F. So for aluminum and bronze I build a small propane fired foundry. Iron on the other hand does require hotter temperatures. Like around 2,500°- 2,700 F. For that you need a cupola furnace. I watched a guy make and use a homemade one once, but never did it myself. As a sculptor, there's a better market for bronze anyway. But, on the other hand iron is so cool ...even if it's hotter ...well...you know what I mean! ;)

Interesting tidbit. About forty years ago I apprenticed for a while at a bronze/aluminum foundry and got spattered a bit with molten metal a few times. (Back then we never wore full OSHA prescribed safety gear, especially working in an open building with no a/c in Arizona in the summer).

Interestingly, the aluminum spatter burned way worse than the much hotter bronze. You see bronze spatters in little balls that skitter off your skin while aluminum splats and sticks like tar, and also aluminum transfers heat faster. Nasty stuff. ...Oh, and for Jobo, "aluminum" is just the way we semi-literate colonials try to write "aluminium"! :D

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My main job has re-opened ...(And yes, I wear my mask there, because it's required). But they're ready to open.

Write a protest message on it with a sharpie. Something like "I'm only wearing this because You pay me to do it!" --Might start a trend! :D

Oh...and be sure the sharpie script dries before you put it on or you might end up with marks on your face ...and inadvertently get high. Kids... if you're reading this, don't get any ideas!!! :p

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Write a protest message on it with a sharpie. Something like "I'm only wearing this because You pay me to do it!" --Might start a trend! :D

Oh...and be sure the sharpie script dries before you put it on or you might end up with marks on your face ...and inadvertently get high. Kids... if you're reading this, don't get any ideas!!! :p
oh the good old days of solvent based correction fluid thinner

the more mistakes i made the more correction fluid i used, the more mistakes i made

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or it means that a proportion of the infected have a strain that doesn't make them or anyone else sick or it means that a significant proportion of the population have natural immunity so there are less people who will get sick or or or....
in fact the only thing it doesn't show is there are more available carriers, that remains static at the population of any particular country
All of which would only be comforting if a small number of people were getting sick. Which is not the case.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But how sick will nost of those folks get?

If you're at risk, then you should definitely isolate. If a bunch of those of us in lower risk groups get the virus, then it is just another flu.
A significant number will die. Doesn’t get much sicker than that.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All of which would only be comforting if a small number of people were getting sick. Which is not the case.
well IF 80% of people dont develop symptoms, that only leaves 20% of people who do, only a small % will get really sick

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A significant number will die. Doesn’t get much sicker than that.

Well, on the flipside, we have the issues of quarantine. Depression, suicide, domestic violence, crime are all up. People are scared to go to the hospital and are dying of treatable diseases at home.

This is what I've heard from the doctors and nurses at my dojang.

Latest Discussions